Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a few too many pothole incidents, I decided to ditch the standard 195/40r17 tyres and fitted a full set of 205/40r17 instead, I've driven approx 3k on the new profile tyres and have nothing but positive feedback about them! I drive my GTI daily and now the car feels so much more planted and poised, the chassis was already a good one but the original tyre size just didn't give me much confidence. Also I don't seem to find myself wincing at every pot hole in the road! Someone on this forum I can't remember who, suggested about changing tyre profile and I just wanted to say thankyou to them. It makes me wonder why VW don't fit them as standard equipment?!

·
Registered
553 Posts
You mention changing tyre profile, but your text still says you've just gone wider to 205's, same profile 40.
Is that a typo, or have you gone to 45?
I also seem to remember someone changing to 205 / 45 / 17's, the ride being significantly better on 45 profile.

·
Registered
118 Posts
After a few too many pothole incidents, I decided to ditch the standard 195/40r17 tyres and fitted a full set of 205/40r17 instead, I've driven approx 3k on the new profile tyres and have nothing but positive feedback about them! I drive my GTI daily and now the car feels so much more planted and poised, the chassis was already a good one but the original tyre size just didn't give me much confidence. Also I don't seem to find myself wincing at every pot hole in the road! Someone on this forum I can't remember who, suggested about changing tyre profile and I just wanted to say thankyou to them. It makes me wonder why VW don't fit them as standard equipment?!
It might have been me on the 205 suggestion but either way I fully agree - what brand did you go for?

·
Registered
238 Posts
1st thing I did when I got our GTI.

He meant size but technically there is a bit more tyre as the profile is worked out on the width of the tyre... It's not much but every little helps I remember using a calculator online and it does very slightly affect the speedo accuracy but was only 2 or 3 mph I think at top speed

·
Registered
137 Posts
A 3mm deeper side wall on 205/40 compared to 195/40s
I would have thought the difference would be undectable?

·
Registered
64 Posts
It does feel better as my wife has the original tyres on hers and I have 205 x 40 and often drive them back to back. However the new rubber is almost certainly better because they aren’t eco type tyres like the crap originals. The only advantage of the OE tyres is they seem to last longer...

·
Registered
469 Posts
It does feel better as my wife has the original tyres on hers and I have 205 x 40 and often drive them back to back. However the new rubber is almost certainly better because they aren’t eco type tyres like the crap originals. The only advantage of the OE tyres is they seem to last longer...
In what way are they better than the OEM tyres?
If it’s grip levels you must drive really hard and fast.
I’ve ran Toyo r888’s and Kumho v70 ( medium compound ) on previous car for track days as well as numerous premium road tyres but have no issues with the crap eco tyres for road use.
Maybe it’s my age and the fact I’m driving slowly so don’t have a problem lol!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Personally I found the front end on turn in really lacking for bite on the standard tyres and traction also pretty rubbish as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Did you try running them at the lower pressures ? 30/30 or 30/28 ?
I found them far better than at the ridiculously high pressures recommended by VW. Turn in, bite, understeer & grip much improved, particularly in the wet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I will be honest I took an instant dislike to the standard tyres and ditched them ASAP and the ride improved using the same pressures as recommended by yourself!

Another bonus is the added protection it gives the diamond cut wheels it was the best £200 I've ever spent on a car they weren't that cheap but I managed to sell the originals

·
Registered
64 Posts
In what way are they better than the OEM tyres?
If it’s grip levels you must drive really hard and fast.
I’ve ran Toyo r888’s and Kumho v70 ( medium compound ) on previous car for track days as well as numerous premium road tyres but have no issues with the crap eco tyres for road use.
Maybe it’s my age and the fact I’m driving slowly so don’t have a problem lol!
If you get on with them then no problem. They certainly last well. I just found them to be very unforgiving and had a tendency to lose grip every so often. I would say now I’m getting on a bit I’m a spirited driver, rather than fast all the time. I changed tyres for comfort more then performance and I think the new tyres make a difference. Again it’s not perfect, but noticeable on the right pressures. If you like the originals then you’ve saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Did you try running them at the lower pressures ? 30/30 or 30/28 ?
I found them far better than at the ridiculously high pressures recommended by VW. Turn in, bite, understeer & grip much improved, particularly in the wet.
I’ve just lowered mine to 30/28 but not been out in it yet. I’m sure it will be even better. I also run my wife’s original tyres on this setting and it is better on those too - just the right amount of give

1 - 13 of 13 Posts