Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
When i ordered my UP! i didnt order the Sound Pack... Since ordering my Up!i have test driven one and now i wish i had ordered the sound pack...

Its a bit of a long shot, but does anyone know if the wiring for the 4 additional speakers (2 front and 2 Rear) is factory installed and it is just the case of installing new speakers?

It would be great if it was then i could buy my own and put them in...

Thanks for your help

Paul

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I heard that the cars only have the wires they need. I guess a car stereo fitting company could do the job with wires..

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was under the impression the sound packagewas an additional 2 speakers in the rear with the front being there as standard! How else would the radio work?

Or are there an additional 2 speakers in the front as well as the standard set up?

I have often found wiring in cars for additions which have not been fitted!, but as prices are cut nearer to the margins I can see this might not be the case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are 4 additional speakers with the sound pack the wires will still be there on the standard car its all part of the same loom,almostall cars are like this (clio and mk4 golf) are.

You will be able to fitafter marketspeakers in no problem and willprobablysound better in the end.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I got my info from www.netcarshow.com. It said,

An interesting observation about the networking of systems: every up! is fitted with its "own" individual wiring harness. This "electrical system" is pre-configured for the features of each individual up! car, and it is fed into production in a just-in-time process. The advantage: unnecessary cabling is not installed, which reduces costs and weight.

That's what made me think that the wires may not be fitted, although it doesnt sound normal... Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
if you know someone who knows their job well with fitting radios into cars, they should be able to fit more speakers whether the wires are there or not. its only a case of taking panels out and fitting the wires in, the more difficult bit is usually connecting it properly to the radio unit itself

·
294 Posts
I could understand when budgets are tight that not including the cable could reduce costs but surely having to produce and install separate wiring looms on each individual up! would make those cost savings vanish? Although I've never produced a car in my life so that might not be the case lol....

I've fitted my own head units and good old 6x9's in parcel shelves in past cars before and it isfairlyeasy running the new speaker wire as said above the difficulty is connecting it up to the head unit.

What I used to do was splice into the existing rear speaker cable and run them from that. Probably sounds like a bodge job and probably was - but it sounded good at the time!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all of your input....
When i finally get the car i will have a look and see if there is any wiring there...

Does anyone know exactly where the Sound Pack speakers are located? I am assuming the standard ones are installed in the drivers and passengers doors and i am guessing that the Sound Pack has tweeters in the mirror backs and speakers in the panels in the rear L+R by the passengers?
Would that be the correct assumption.

I dont suppose anyone has had a look behind these panesl to see if there is any wiring already there...

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have the Sound Pack and it sounds pretty awesome!
I have spotted speakers in the doors (duh) and in the back wall where the doors would have been had it been a 5 door version - and above the dash to the sides.

Pic of back seat:

Pic from above dash

·
Registered
124 Posts
What's the bass like on them David? Also, have you spotted an Equilizer or EQ settings in Maps + More or in the dash menu?

I'm not mad keen on bass - but I listen to a lot of blues and jazz as well as hard rock and metal, so I work that even the sound pack will be a little anaemic :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well I haven't had too much time with it yet, but when I was cruising around town at low speed the bass was plentiful and surprisingly nice. I had thought about maybe getting a subwoofer of some kind beforehand, but I crossed that right off the list when I drove it. I listened to some BBC Radio 1 shows that I had on my phone via the Bluetooth which played without a hitch from my Nokia Lumia 800.After that I hit the freeway and started going 130-140 kph - the bass was a bit low here, but I didn't try to boost the bass to the max to see how loud it would go..

It does have the standard +/- bass treble via the dash menu, but no EQ as such. I haven't fully explored the Maps + More yet so I can't rule it out completely ofc.

Edit: I'd say for your musical tastes you won't be wanting for more bass than what the sound pack offers.

Edited by: David M

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
David M said:
Well I haven't had too much time with it yet, but when I was cruising around town at low speed the bass was plentiful and surprisingly nice. I had thought about maybe getting a subwoofer of some kind beforehand, but I crossed that right off the list when I drove it. I listened to some BBC Radio 1 shows that I had on my phone via the Bluetooth which played without a hitch from my Nokia Lumia 800.After that I hit the freeway and started going 130-140 kph - the bass was a bit low here, but I didn't try to boost the bass to the max to see how loud it would go..

It does have the standard +/- bass treble via the dash menu, but no EQ as such. I haven't fully explored the Maps + More yet so I can't rule it out completely ofc.

Edit: I'd say for your musical tastes you won't be wanting for more bass than what the sound pack offers.
thanks for that, im glad i chose the sound pack now :) i like playing my music quite loud haha! im not a girl racer tho... lol! my friends just say "its the party car"

·
Registered
677 Posts
The 6 speakers in my Polo are amazing! I do listen to my music loud and the speakers cope very well! So glad I went for the speaker pack. I know now I'll be able belt out my Beth Ditto at full whack with no interruptions

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed on the VW German website that they have a sound
plus pack which has 6 speakers for ‚¬120. Why are we stuck with 4 speakers
in the sound pack in the UK? I'd rather have the sound plus pack instead.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Is this just a description difference? The way I understand it is as standard you get two speakers. The sound pack adds an additional four speakers, so six in total. Perhaps a lucky member who already has their car could confirm.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi,
That ishow i understood it...

The standard car comes with drivers and passengers door speakers.

The Sound pack comes with 2 speakers in the back on the door mirror casings and 2 speakers in the rear panels (where the rear doors would be if it were a 5 door)

So it is the same as the one offered in Germany.

See the post from another member before this showing pictures of the additional speaker positions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks Paul Childs for the clarification. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just tried looking at David M's pics but there is nothing there!

Anyone else got this prob!?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I also can't view the photos from David M.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts