Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to Sound Proofing the trunk and doors in my Mom´s Citigo.

I have bought 4 pices of STP Silver Butyl.

Pictures Will Come Later.

Im going to do the same to my Citigo, when i pick it up in af few month.......

And i going to install some ICE. Such as a ISOamp from Helix PP50DSP and some good speekers, and a Subwoofer.

Edited by: Rasmus Modsat

·
Registered
198 Posts
Please provide more details, I'd like to do the same. I find sound insulation in up! actually to be much better than in some more expensive cars, but it's still not good enough to allow one to really enjoy music.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd also love to see the pictures! - my Up! isn't arriving until late march, but if there is one thing I've gotten used to its sound insulated cars!

·
Registered
47 Posts
This looks very interesting! So, presumably this is a special soundproofing material? It looks transparent? Could I ask what material it is, is it expensive and most importantly has it made much difference? I noticed I have some road/engine noise but can't quite work out which, as it seems the same at 40mphas it doesabove 70mph.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry my Camera was ******......

Aze

How hard is i to take out the headliner?

Hvor svært er det at tage "loftet" af? Noget du kan hjælpe mig? Evt en guide :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Rasmus: It's not very difficult, but it'll take some hours as you need to disassemble most of the interior-parts.The headliner is actually 10cm wider than the car's rear opening, so I think that from factory it has been mounted, before the front windscreen.When taking it out through the rear-opening it has to be "pressed" together, which can cause some ugly wrinkles in the ceiling-fabric, so you have to be very careful to prevent this.

I can guide you through it, sure. Can take some pictures and describe....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Aze- said:
Rasmus: It's not very difficult, but it'll take some hours as you need to disassemble most of the interior-parts.The headliner is actually 10cm wider than the car's rear opening, so I think that from factory it has been mounted, before the front windscreen.When taking it out through the rear-opening it has to be "pressed" together, which can cause some ugly wrinkles in the ceiling-fabric, so you have to be very careful to prevent this.

I can guide you through it, sure. Can take some pictures and describe....
That will be nice with a guide :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
dynamat like sound damping mats increase weight and do not absorb much sound. The best compromise is to use less dynamat and more foam sheets ( open or closed cell, closed cell for the areas where there is risk for water or water vapour damage). With foam sheet there is no weight penalty. You can also use jute or cotton under mat padding, instead of foam. I have used all three in my Aygo with good effect. Don't forget the hood and the wheel arch.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have just fitted a sound proofing kit to the boot of our up!This is not in the same league as the job done by Aze.but it does reduce the drumming & stone clatter produced on rural roads.These kits are all precut,self-adhesive & are very easy to fit without having to take the car apart,it was well worth fitting in my opinion.<div sab="833">Anyone interested contact www.noisekillergb.com./carproducts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks for the link, I think I will make a visit. Last time I went there was just over 25 years ago when they were making handbrake locks. I went to ask them to be quiet I think! The pressing machines were upsetting the locals as far as I can remember.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm hoping to go and see them wednesday if the weather holds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ducatikid said:
I'm hoping to go and see them wednesday if the weather holds.
Hi ducatikid,

Did you get there?

Thinking of doing a bit of DIY soundproofing myself, so interested in how you got on.

Cheers

SC

Edited by: sc52

·
Registered
532 Posts
No, weather a bit dodgy. I'll report back next week, honest.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sound proofing was something I used to like on the boot floor. If its never going to be seen I used to use a slightly heavier bitumen roofing sheet, not the stuff with grit in it but the thick roll.

I would recommend it 100% goes on with heat gun sticks great and proves a great thug when you tap it.

Try it, cheap as chips and you get buckets of it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts