Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While mooching at the dealers to get an Up!date on our delivery on our Up! Black we were poking about in the VW showrooms stock which is always a pleasant way to while away time. Big smiles on the Up! White trying to imagine it in black, had a good look in the new Golf too .. nice but way above budget and too big really for our needs (Think Ill wait for the Up! GT)<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">Anyway, after finishing browsing I shoved the door of the Golf shut and heard the satisfying solid VW "thunk" as it closed.
<div style="text-align: left; : rgb251, 251, 253; ">A rather gratifying thought flashed thru my brain.... Hang on I thought, that sounded just like an Up!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Nice one! I know exactly what you mean, I like the solid clunk the doors make.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You're kidding, right? The Up has the tinniest-sounding doors imaginable!

Even my Panda sounded more substantial, and that's saying something.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG dont you have a sense of humour?? Surely you must have if you actually bought a Panda? LOL.Anyway just in case Ill explain it...The post was a parody of the old Golf advert where the salesman slams the door of a generic car and tells the couple "if you listen carefully it sounds just like a Golf..."
Nuff said :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Don't worry bob I've gathered most up owners are grumps with a poor sense ofhumorand take things very literally. I know what your on about haha classic advert

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers Carpy - glad there is at least other sane member with a sense of humour on here! :)and actually I dont agree with juux - the doors do shut with a thunk - beats the Fiat Tin Cans hands down
( We have a 500 at the moment so well aware of the Fiat build quality !! or dare i vouchsafe, the lack of?? )

·
Registered
587 Posts
I close the doors to my up! and it sounds like a Rolls Royce turn the key and I am in a sports car with a growling engine

The doors do shut with a VAG thud, the 5 door version sounds better than the 3 door...yes I know I am sad but was bored in the dealership one day and had a play. Another thing that amazed me last week was that the panel gaps whilst uniform on my F20 1 Series are much wider than the panal gaps on my up!.

For a car that starts at 8K it does not really drive or feel that way, if you want the worst car I have ever been in, it is still a Chrysler Neon

Edited by: jezyg

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
recently test-drove an abarth 500 I'm sure you could see the words 'Family Circle Biscuit Selection' through the paint! fast-trash !

·
Registered
811 Posts
I've had a Fiat Panda, which was made from baked beans tins. Presumably Juux suffers from tinnitus.

Incidentally I have also had a Chrysler Neon and completely agree with Jezyg on that subject. It was the least reliable car I have owned.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I genuinely do feel the Panda to be more solid and certainly better soundproofed than the Up. Maybe mine is broken :(

C'est la vie :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have an UP and my mrs has a Golf 6, I drive both regularly and can honestly say there is a very noticeable difference. With the Golf the door almost shuts its self with s very reassuring thud, however, my UP! although seemingly well built requires more effort to close, in fact on many occasions I need 2 attempts to close the door, anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
I have an UP and my mrs has a Golf 6, I drive both regularly and can honestly say there is a very noticeable difference. With the Golf the door almost shuts its self with s very reassuring thud, however, my UP! although seemingly well built requires more effort to close, in fact on many occasions I need 2 attempts to close the door, anyone else noticed this?

Yes, absolutely. It feels as though the doors aren't massive enough to overcome the friction on the hinge/stay. There's just not enough momentum to overcome the friction unless you slam it quite hard and it can just fail to close.

My kids (4 and 7) struggle to close them, but never have a problem with our other car.

If it was just one door like this then I'd assume a fault, but all four are the same. I'm hoping they loosen up in time.

As you say, a mile away from what I was used to with my 2009 Touran.

Edited by: juux

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seems that you are in the minority here Juux... if the Up! is sooo bad why not get rid and buy another Panda and join their forum?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
My partner always needs two tries. Mostly I only need one. The salesman when I bought mine actually slammed the door firmly and said 'the doors are nice and solid.' I said 'Right, they sound just like a golf.' He didn't laugh. I can think of more important features on a car!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bob Up said:
seems that you are in the minority here Juux... if the Up! is sooo bad why not get rid and buy another Panda and join their forum?

Relax, I'm not slagging off your precious Up. As yapmaul says, there are far more important things that the Up is brilliant at.

And anyway, there was nothing wrong with the Panda I had. In three years it only needed scheduled servicing, tyres and wipers.

More than can be said for my last VW...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL yes she is precious and we aint even got her yet! 6 days to go! Looking forward to driving some quality again.All I can say is youve been lucky with yr fiats & unlucky with yr VW!
My experience has been completely opposite - 4 yrs trouble free & excellent motoring in my Bora
and nowt but hassle in my Punto Van & 500. Never again!
( my mate keeps telling me that FIAT is short for F****d In A Trice ) and I tend to concur hehe
And as a bonus, the coffee machine at the VW dealers is far superior to the stewed sludge at the Fiat garage - result :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice one Dave ! I really should have learned my lesson on Italian car ownership after my Lancia Beta!

·
Registered
532 Posts
1986 fiat 205,000 miles without any complete break downs. Pah, i say, pah.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
.....so it DID break down then... but just not completely ? Hah, I say, hah. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts