Up Owners Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As standard, my Up! came with Bridgestone Ecopia EP25 tyres. After only 1500 miles I need to replace one thanks to a large flint embedded in the tread but I have had a job finding a supplier. Our local company tells me that the EP150 is identical (so why call it something different??).

Almost every company that can supply them does not fit but I have ordered from Mytyres who seem to have an arrangement with a nearly-local Halfords.

Another issue is with winter tyres. I called in to my VW dealer, firstly to enquire about the replacement ("Sorry Sir, we don't supply tyres or even know where you can buy them") then about winter wheel and tyre sets. Again, VW cannot/do not/will not supply them, unlike BMW, MB or Audi. They would sell me the wheels (£160ish a set of 4) but could only make a recommendation about the tyres. Another order for Mytyres.... Incidentally, I do not fancy having to drive about with 3 winter and one summer tyre so ordered 5 - just hope it fits in the spare wheel well in place of the temporary wheel supplied as a spare.

Why do things have to be so difficult? What should have been a 5-minute conversation and a handing-over of funds turned into an exercise in pulling teeth.

Nick

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah VW dealers do seem a bit backward at times, even when there's opportunity to take your money.

They will replace summer tyres on your VW with the O.E fit ones, so why can't they do this with Winter Wheels? On the ETKA parts catalogue it even lists Winter Wheel & Tyre combinations, so why they can't order them from Germany then fit the tyres to wheels in the workshop is beyond me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I ordered a set of 5 wheels with Nokian WR D3 in 175/65 R14. The fifth was to use as a spare in place of the speed-limited summer tyre the vehicle came with. It was only when they arrived that I realised that they have a specific direction of rotation. I guess that as a get-you-home spare it would not matter too much if it is fitted on the wrong siide?

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts