Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collected the car last night and have only done 5 miles in it so far. First impressions are very favourable, except for the brakes which don't bite as reassuringly as I would like. No biggy...

Anyhow, the first mod I just had to do was get the H&R spacer kit on, because the pushed-in wheels made the car look like an invalid carriage, especially with my weedy 14" winter wheelson. The H&R kit, developed specially for the Up! gives a 26mm wider track at the front and 32mm at the rear. The wheels are now in line with the arches and look a LOT better!

I also swapped the air filter for a K&N model, and fitted some chrome indicators at the front only (the rear didn't seem to need them so much), and some uprated Philips headlight bulbs. Mats in the boot and on the floor, obviously, and swapped the tyres for some Continental Winter Contacts ready for next week's cold spell. The lovely 16" Black-Up alloys I bought will have to wait for the spring now :(

Two jobs left: fit the rear wheel arch liners when they arrive next week and Dynamat the bonnet and doors.

Spacers on front & rear. Now looks as it should have done on leaving the factory.

The chrome indicator bulbs (not Silvervisions, as they're still too orange) are a huge improvement and match the chrome finish inside the headlight unit perfectly.

Edited by: UpMan

·
Registered
438 Posts
Out of interest, how easy was it to turn the indicator sockets? Mine seem stuck fast as the rubber washer is probably sticking. Any tips? I've replaced the other bulbs and want to do my indicators.Edited by: Scrubnut

·
Registered
33 Posts
With the spacers that you fitted, did they come with new bolts/studs? I'm looking at some for my up, as I too think they are a little tucked in for my liking. I'm not even sure if the up uses bolts or studs/nuts for the wheels!

I would be interested to hear what you think of the kit you bought.

Andy

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scrubnut said:
Out of interest, how easy was it to turn the indicator sockets? Mine seem stuck fast as the rubber washer is probably sticking. Any tips? I've replaced the other bulbs and want to do my indicators.

The bulb holders are in pretty tight, but a pair of rubber gloves should give you the extra purchase you need to twist them through about 45°. Also, try both your left and right hand, as access is often easier with one or the other.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bigandy said:
With the spacers that you fitted, did they come with new bolts/studs? I'm looking at some for my up, as I too think they are a little tucked in for my liking. I'm not even sure if the up uses bolts or studs/nuts for the wheels!

I would be interested to hear what you think of the kit you bought.

Andy

H&R spacers are expensive, but are superbly engineered (in Germany!) to ensure absolutely zero play when they're on the hub (hence the name, 'hubcentric'). Their kit for the Up! comes complete with the 16 extra-long bolts you need in place of the stock ones, and a set of locking wheel nuts, though I will only put these on when I fit the 16" alloys/summer tyres in the spring.

Fitting all four wheels at a fairly leisurely pace should take you no more than 1 hour. Don't forget to put some copper grease on the back of the spacer, as this will avoid any corrosion 'welding' them to the hubs.

I have used them on several cars in the past and have never had any problems. I would strongly advise against the cheapo 'universal' non-hubcentric spacers you can pick up for a tenner on eBay. A few miles down the road and your wheel will be wobbling all over the place.

The H&R Up! kit can be found here on eBay, for example.

·
Registered
583 Posts
UpMan said:
First impressions are very favourable, except for the brakes which don't bite as reassuringly as I would like. No biggy...
With what tyres on it ?

I'm now running 185 Dunlop BluResponse (A rated for wet braking) and they stop the up! pretty well.
The stock 165 (Hankook, test drive) or 175 (Ecopia's) didn't impress me at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the tyres (Continental Winter Contacts), but rather the feel of the pedal that's taking a bit of getting used to.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wish I had a garage like that!

Car looking good, brakes will feel a lot better when bedded in after few hundred miles, mine feel very sharp now. Noticed that the up has 256mm front discs like the old mk2 GTi's did, they had the sharpest brakes of any VW I've owned, most of which had bigger discs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^Thanks! Today is the Up's last day in the garage: as of tomorrow it will start earning its keep as a general runabout and will be parked round the back of the house in the cold and damp

Another picture to show how the spacers just make the car look 'normal', IMHO...

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say. I certainly don't consider that my Up! looks 'abnormal' IMHO.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Probably because I am coming from a Jaguar XKR which had 20" wheels and 285 rear tyres. I like wide

A little splash of Dynamat sound deadening under that bare-metal bonnet won't do any harm...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts