Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first car, so don't laugh... is it normal for spare tire to release a strong unpleasant odor? Like rubber, but that got rotten, if such thing is even possible. At least I think it is the spare, the odor is coming from roughly that area. Do I need to treat it with something? Also it seems to have better and worse days, when it's not noticeable at all or very noticeable (at least for a couple of minutes, before AC pumps fresh air inside). If it's normal, I can live with it, it's not that bad... but I'd like to know if that's really the case?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Take the spare out for a while and see if the smell goes with it.

Tyres do smell a bit.Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
592 Posts
Doubt it will be the spare as it's under the boot floor and not exposed, plus never been mentioned by anyone else.....strange!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
^ in fairness tho, the boot floor is essentially a piece of paper, that's a bit smaller than the space it sits in.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I agree - but strange that I and others have not noticed it, and it has never been an issue in any car I have owned with a spare.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had my four new winter tyres in the house for a couple of months and there was a quite distinctive, rubbery smell from them. I can't say I noticed this from the spare in the car though.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Hmmm I know the smell you mean, I have just had a smell problem but that was farmers muck on the road managed to get into the ac I think but it's all cleared now! I don't know about the spare making a strong bad smell but your carpets may if they are wet, check your footwells passenger and drivers thoroughly because you may have a leeky windscreen and waters getting in and settling causing a bad smell! I hope its not but worth a check

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far, it will all have to wait a week or so. I am having some works in my yard and have to park on the street temporarily ... and I don't want everyone to look at me sniffing various things in the car

·
Registered
1 Posts
I searched the web for exactly what you wrote about your car smell. I can't believe what you wrote because it is exactly what I would explain about my new car. It's a used car, only one year old. The original post you posted was over a year ago so I'm wondering what ever came of it? Did you locate the smell? Did you resolve it? Please share any information!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lorna said:
I searched the web for exactly what you wrote about your car smell. I can't believe what you wrote because it is exactly what I would explain about my new car. It's a used car, only one year old. The original post you posted was over a year ago so I'm wondering what ever came of it? Did you locate the smell? Did you resolve it? Please share any information!!!

Thanks!
Not to beat a dead horse here, but I'm having the same problem. 2012 Passat. I picked it up 4 months ago and it had a weird smell. It's probably why the car was sitting on the lot for so long and I got it for such a deal. I've narrowed it down to the spare tire and have even tried scrubbing this thing down with dish washing soap. This worked for a while but the smell is starting to come back. My god, I didn't think that the spare tire could stink up the entire car. Geeze!
I'm ready to put this thing in a big plastic bag to keep the whole car from stinking up again.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've forgot about this thread...
My up was made in February 2012, and the spare tire still stinks. But, at least it happens more rarely, I notice it perhaps just twice-thrice per month. Or perhaps it smells the same, but I've got used to it?

What maybe helped is having air ventilation always on, at "1" setting if there's no need to cool/heat up quickly; and a bag of some dried flowers (or leaves or something... it's closed and opaque so I can't see inside, but I'm definitely certain it's some part of some kind of plant
) that smell nicely in place of the ash tray.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think it's probably not the tyre but your cabin filter. When it's old and dirty (or just moist, which is what happens when you use the aircon and then there's condensation) it gives off smell that's not unlike dirty socks! It's most noticable when you first turn on your air blower. Try replacing the cabin filter (also known as the pollen filter) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's the tire. When I removed the spare tire from the trunk, the stink got all over my hands. The skin of the tire was a little moist, almost like there was some kind of stink film covering it. After I was done scrubbing the tire down with dish washing soap, my hands stunk. Dispite all the washing and sanitizer I used on my hands, the smell didn't go away until the next day.
It worked great for a month or so,but the stink is back with a vengeance. I'm not messing with it this time. Just going to find a some kind of a bag like a big trash bag and put the tire in there.

You know, the tire was so stink, it probably ruined the cabin filter. So it could be that too! Kinda reminds me of that Sponge Bob episode where his breat stunk so bad he killed everyone in his path and burnt the movie theater down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a spare tyre in my boot for three years and never experienced a smell at all. Have you taken it back to the dealers and had things checked? Is it a normal size tyre or one of those thin emergency things? Whichever, the dealer should be able to identify where the smell is coming from.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got that problem too-since I used the spare. It's now causing a smell through the whole car. Gets into my clothes and people look at me strangely. I took mine out and scrubbed it, which helped for a while, but the smell is back. When tyre gets hot, e.g. used, the smell does become stronger, and I have found that the wheel well cover doesn't contain the smell, so it leeches out˜¹ï¸�

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rubber tyres can give off a kind of rubbery smell but I've not noticed it in my car. Perhaps you've just got over sensitive nostrils. If you've used the tyre you might have something in the treads so give it a good scrub with a brush and also clean the spare wheel well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts