Up Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm only 6000kms down, and I already have a flat tire! Oh well, swapping it out for the spare wheel was easy enough.

I noticed something very odd though. My spare wheel is fitted with a Bridgestone Ecopia tyre, while all other 4 tyres on the car are Falken Sincera's. My up is on stock 14" steelies, with 165/70/R14's.

I would have thought that all tyres on a brand new car would be the same, including the spare. A quick read of the owners manual even states that all tyres on the car should have the same tread pattern (page 202 for reference) So why would my spare tyre be different? Has this happened to anyone else?

From what I've just read, both Bridgestone and Falken are contracted to supply tires for the UP. Maybe my car had a mix up at the factory? Or maybe they didn't care? Either way, I'm not keen on the idea of running around on different tyres, so I'm going to drop by my dealership tomorrow and demand for my spare to be replaced with a matching one.

I'd be really interested to know if this has happened to any of you guys.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Many times I've had tyres replaced on company cars with one that was different to the other three (except it was of the same dimensions - and black and round!). The first time it happened I took it up with my firms Fleet manager who took it up with the leasing company (I also made my own enquiries with the the motoring organisations). The verdict was that matching tyres is only an issues if doing high speed driving under track conditions.

My thinking has always been that unless one can guarantee the road surface and conditions is identical at all four wheels at any given moment, then what's the point of having tyres with identical tread patterns?

I wonder whether all this talk about tyres is rather like the children's
shoe 'scandal' here in the UK many years ago (they used to stress how
important is was for the child's sake that second hand shoes were a
NO-NO). That was finally shown to be nothing more than a new-sales
booster.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally I'd return the spare wheel to the boot, having replaced the punctured tyre with a matching type. Hence I would not be at all worried about the spare not matching. Some cars have skinny spare wheels which are a completely different size. So several days on a different tread pattern is no problem in my view.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've owned many used cars, all with mismatching tyres, so I know it's not big deal. However this is my first new car, so I was surprised to discover the spare didn't match.

My intention was to prolong tyre life as much as possible by rotating on a regular basis, including the spare. Plus I'm a little bit OCD, so it bothers me. haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
The problem will be the car like mine is not supplied with a spare tyre from the factory so the dealer has sometimes problems sourcing the correct tyre. My car was fitted with Bridgestone economy tyres which the dealer was unable to get as they were on back order so I had to have a Bridgestone of a different type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts