Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys n Galsanyone else pondered on the point/practicality of buying the spare wheel? We get the emergency inflator so that should be a get you home/garage in the event of a flat.. & I know that the reassurance value of having a spare with you especially on long journeys or to more remote parts etc is perhaps worth the £50... however as VW dont supply (either as an accessory or otherwise) the jack & wheel brace - how on earth are you going to change it? ..... I think Id rather use the wheel space for added storage - there isnt any dedicated space to store the jack & brace in anycase so it would be rattling about in the back somewhere
What you reckon??

·
Registered
265 Posts
jack and everything obviously come with the wheel, and fit with the wheel in the wheel space.Edited by: Mulo

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chers Mulo....the dealer obviously didnt know this fact when I asked, he told me you just get the spare wheel...... Ill have a gander again when I collect my Up! next month :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Bob Up said:
Chers Mulo....the dealer obviously didnt know this fact when I asked, he told me you just get the spare wheel...... Ill have a gander again when I collect my Up! next month :)

when i placed my order, the spare wheel and tools were on different parts numbers, but the tools were at no extra charge.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
From many other posts on here I come to the conclusion its personal choice, personally I wouldnt be without but others say they haven't had a puncture for years so don't see the point. People have said the tyre inflator canisters actually ruin the inside of your wheel (its been on watchdog or somethin) and need a new tyre. If you got the spare wheel, the tools sit neatly inside the spare wheel and dont rattle around.

I guess people who don't get them are members of the rac or aa or other such companies am if they have a flat will call them out!

Like I say earlier and others will agree I wouldn't be without one!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Problem solved - Cheers guys & thanks for the pic Mulo! Ill make sure that the dealer is aware of the facts....Hmmmm wonder what else he doesnt know ..... watch this space lol

·
Registered
705 Posts
After having a number of punctures on motorcycles (3 in six years, I think), where the tyres can't be replaced at the side of the road and are very expensive, I would be very wary of driving a car without a spare wheel.

Nick

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for sure Nick, now that Mulo has confirmed that jack etc comes with I will be ordering a spare !

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just FYI on the inflator kit, I don't think its designed to do much more than run flats or a space saver spare, ie its only meant to get you going/home in the rain/dark/off the motorway. I think once deployed its only 100miles up to 50mph then the tyre should be replaced, rather than repair the tyre for you to use until the end of its natural life, so you'd still need to buy a new tyre whether it compromises the punctured one or not...

Feeling more and more relieved I've gone for a spare....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes for the sake of £50 it's worth it just for the peace of mind. I can't imagine the stress of having a puncture in the middle of nowhere and having to faff around with that foam stuff. And I would imagine you have to get it right first time - if you mess it up (as I undoubtedly would) I suppose you're stranded...

They build a void into the car for a wheel, so why not put a wheel in there and add £50 to the list price? It is ridiculous! I understand the argument about weight saving but if you have a fat passenger, it is a moot point anyway...

Eta typoEdited by: Up!_to_Mii

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
I'm a fat driver! Still went for the spare!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
The inflator/repair kit is just a get you home.
The issue for me with this is thus - if you get a small puncture causing a flat whilst travelling, you can use the repair kit to patch the tire up to get you to a garage. That tire is then for the bin as the repair kit finishes it if.
If you have a spare, you can swap the wheel over in a few minutes, carry on you journey as norm. When you get the opportunity, the tire can then possibly be repaired by a garage and returned to th vehicle for further use.
And finally, no matter how good the repair kit is, it's not gunna full a shredded tire.
£50 for peace of mind. Worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes for sure the spare vs repair inflator is a no brainer cos the spare is a sure fire winner... the point I was making was that the dealer just said you get a spare and no jack/wheel brace..... with a shrug of the shoulders when I asked how do you expect to change it without tools... Now I am fully informed that the kit comes included Ive ordered the spare AND told the young whippersnapper to get Clued Up! on his product info!Cheers to all for the responses ... nice to see that we actually read & answer posts in this forum ( unlike others ) glad to see that we are a friendly lot so a big Thumbs Up! to everyone :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
As standard the up! comes with a cannister and a really good electric pump.

If it's a slow puncture the pump will get you home without the need to deploy the cannister. If its a more serious puncture whilst driving, ther's a good chance the tyre will be damaged beyond safe repair before you are able to stop and change it, so I my view was it's more of a 50:50 choice.

Whatever your view, I guess the good thing is that the up! at least gives you the option - many cars don't have a spare or anywhere to put it, like my previous 1-series BMW.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Didn't get a spare and not too worried, Jack and foam padding can be ordered by the parts department. Get a spare from ebay or a scrapyard, plenty of old vw wheels around 4 bolt, 4 X 100 bolt pattern if your worried. I agree dealer should tell people that if you don't order a spare you don't get the toolkit and jack.

·
Registered
128 Posts
No Spare No Brainer
Back in the '80s I saw a brick in the road and although Itried to avoid it, it just caught the inner rimon my Derby LX AT 50mph at 1 in the morning. Theair left the tyre imediately and was shredded by the time Istopped. Thank goodness for the steering geometry which kept the car in a straight line though (and for the traffic lights remaining green)

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you want the spare tyre in a new VW Up, you will probably be committed to waiting for a vehicle to be delivered from Germany. However, it has to be an absolute no-brainer to pay the extra £50 and wait another couple of weeks.

In my opinion, the emergency inflation aerosol is one of the most dangerous trends in private motoring in the last decade. It used to be a motoring offence not to be carrying a fully functional spare tyre in some countries. There were health and safety implications behind these regulations. Eventually, someone is going to get seriously hurt because of this reckless pennypinching.If you do the sums ... price of a brand-new tyre because tyre fitter will not repair a tyre that has been re-inflated with one of these aerosols plus the cost of replacement aerosol kit and you probably have paid for the spare tyre in one or two incidents.

I am not sure how you would stand legally if you had a crash in a car that has a sudden deflation of an aerosol repaired tyre.

·
Registered
176 Posts
UpInTheAir said:
I am not sure how you would stand legally if you had a crash in a car that has a sudden deflation of an aerosol repaired tyre.

I agree with all you have said, but I cannot see manufacturers producing something so widely available as these repair kitswhere they would leave themselves liable to prosecution for negligence should something go wrong whilst they are being used.

·
Registered
202 Posts
if someone has got 14'' during the winter and 16'' during the summer i spose that means they need 2 spares??

Might stick to the inflation kit...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts