Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as there were no more posts I could respond to last night, I decided to check out my order form again (have to keep reminding myself that I actually DID order an up! and that it will arrive eventually
). Suddenly spotted that there was no sign of the spare wheel listed on the form and the Leeds dealership were charging me £70 for the up! mats, whereas the configurator shows them at £55.

Called Leeds VW first thing this morning and the lady in sales admin confirmed that it didn't look as though they'd ordered the spare wheel because it was on the back of the sheet I'd printed with my up! configuration (i.e. page 2!!). She said she'd have a word with my salesman and he'd call me back.

Chased them again at lunchtime (no call back as usual) & finally spoke to the sales manager who said a) no problem, spare wheel ordered just not listed on the form and b) configurator shows an indicative price for the mats but VW allow the dealers to charge what they want and that he'd reduce the price for me to match the configurator. Loosely translated I think this means:

a) Bo**ocks, we forgot to order the spare wheel, quick someone, ring round and see if you can get one.

b) Bo**ocks, she's spotted that we're trying to claw back a bit of the discount we gave her so we'd better charge the proper price.

Priceless!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes, they seem to nickel and dime you at every turn and think you will not notice. I ordered my spare wheel separately and, when I picked up the car, it did indeed look like they had pulled it out of another vehicle; the tool kit was not even in the polystyrene holder that is supposed to sit in the middle of the wheel. There will be one Up White somewhere with only three wheels!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd also heard that if you order the spare wheel separately, they charge you more, is that right?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I asked this before but no one knew the answer , but hopefully now they somebody willdoes the the Polo space saver tyre and tool kit fit our UP!
which you can get at the local scrapy for about £15

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think when I ordered my proper spare wheel, it was priced at £40 and that is what it cost me. If you don't ask for the spare wheel what on earth do you get? Is it one of those bicycle like tyres? or is it just one of those inflation gadgets to blow the tyre up? I think I read in one of these forums that if you don't get the spare wheel you don't get the jack either. That's diabolical.

If you had bought a vehicle a couple of years ago and it didn't have a spare wheel with it, you would have been bloody peeved to say the least. I don't know how they get away with it. Isn't it against the law not to carry a spare wheel? If it isn't it should be.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bingalau said:
I think when I ordered my proper spare wheel, it was priced at £40 and that is what it cost me. If you don't ask for the spare wheel what on earth do you get? Is it one of those bicycle like tyres? or is it just one of those inflation gadgets to blow the tyre up? I think I read in one of these forums that if you don't get the spare wheel you don't get the jack either. That's diabolical.

If you had bought a vehicle a couple of years ago and it didn't have a spare wheel with it, you would have been bloody peeved to say the least. I don't know how they get away with it. Isn't it against the law not to carry a spare wheel? If it isn't it should be.

Totally agree Bingalau, I actually thought it was illegal not to have a spare. As I understand it, if you don't buy the spare you get some kind of temporary inflator but you don't get the standard toolkit. Just another way for car manufacturers to cut corners or force buyers to fork out more. As if you're not spending enough on the car as it is

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
no, its not illegal to not have a spare wheel, it illegal not to have the facility to get yourself to a garage if you get a flat.... ie they now have the foam stuff which ive never used myself, but apparently it ruins the tyre and you have to buy a new one, but if you have the spare, their is the possibility that they can repair the tyre that is flat not have to replace it.

i opted to have the spare tyre myself.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Get the mats sorted out they're only 55 in the book for premium ones!!

Oh and I ordered the spare, my other half works for a tyre consumables company and there's no way he'd let me have one of the can thingsEdited by: ZumbaQueen

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a 'puncture repair kit' in my RX8. It's a little box which if remember correctly, contained a bottle of foam and a miniature air compressor. Fortunately, I never needed to use it.
As stated above, if you use the foam, the tyre cannot be repaired and if you have a total blowout, you're totally shafted!
Not only that, I believe the entire kit had an expiry date of about 5 years. The Mazda garage told me that the car wouldn't fail it's MOT because of an expired repair kit but a replacement kit would cost £200!! - Not that I think VW will charge nearly as much for it.
Still, could be great at birthday parties for inflating balloons!

·
Registered
47 Posts
up'sadaisy said:
I asked this before but no one knew the answer , but hopefully now they somebody willdoes the the Polo space saver tyre and tool kit fit our UP!
which you can get at the local scrapy for about £15
Just wondering if there was an answer yet?

We have a local VW scrap yard very close by so I may pay a visit at the weekend and find out formyself.

vup rider

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think the quality of dealership varies across the country for example I have nothing but praise for The Citygate VW dealership that I use but I have heard some horror stories regarding other dealerships. Its a shame that such a great brand is pulled down by some bad dealerships. The way to combat this would be to reflect your experience in the VW survey that they ask you to complete via telephone, email or mail after your purchase. This way we will be able to get those poor dealerships to reach the higher standard that most already do.

·
Registered
47 Posts
ziltoid said:
Look on fleebay if you want car mats, got genuine up mats from a vw dealer for £35.
They may be the standard mats finished with high quality polyamide which are listed at £35 in the VW price list.

The luxurycar mats which are finished with thickly woven velour are £55.

Worth asking the fleabay seller the question.

Some VW dealers areincluding "money off accessory vouchers" with the dealer pack.

vup rider

·
Registered
77 Posts
there a bloke on fleabay he will sell you a brand new rim and tyre for £99.00 plus 9.99 delivery price depends on tyre make just bought a set of The vw luxurycar mats on there for £30 free delivery unopened took three day to deliver can you let me knowif you find the polo tool kit fits

Edited by: donnie0311

1 - 18 of 18 Posts