Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the thread on tools with spare wheels. Seems like what you get might be a little random so I wondered if the spare on the bluemotion version is fitted with the same low rolling resistance tyres as the car?Edited by: yapmaul

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've got Bridgestone Ecopia EP25 on the car and a Continental on the spare, don't know if that tells you anything (guess you can tell I know nothing about cars
).

·
Registered
604 Posts
I didn't get a spare with my bluemotion I just got the repair kit

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
hmmmm.... I havent actually checked what tyre is on my spare, I know I have continentals on the car. I shall investigate...

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is yours a bluemotion willowaz? I suspect the tyres on the bmt may be conti econtact. It would be nice if the spare matched! I bet markymark knows the answer . . .

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
no, not blue motion, however... the price for the spare wheel is the same no matter which up you order, therefore the wheel will be the same basic steel and wheel combo, do you not agree?

however, I do agree it should be the better one for the blue motion, but then the spare wheel is just to get you to a garage to get a new tyre isnt it?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the thing is, the price list suggests that low rolling resistance tyres are part of the bluemotion package - ie they're listed in the price list along with the stop-start tech etc, but I suspect they're the same as those fitted to all cars which would be a teeny bit misleading I think, if true.

·
Registered
956 Posts
willowaz said:
however, I do agree it should be the better one for the blue motion, but then the spare wheel is just to get you to a garage to get a new tyre isnt it?

If we were talking a space saver tyre I'd probably agree with you but with a full size spare, not so sure.

I do agree regarding the spare wheel price though, presumably they'll all be the same (i.e. steel), regardless of the model. But is this about the wheel or the tyre?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some people even have an alloy spare wheel. I'm curious about the tyres fitted. I would expect that all the tyres including the spare would match, though I agree that it hardly matters. Then I started getting interested in whether these low rolling resistance tyres are really a special feature of the bluemotion, or are in fact fitted to all cars. If I had a car I probably wouldn't be wasting my time contemplating this kind of stuff. Still, maybe the vw factory has now given birth to my little up!

·
Registered
619 Posts
If the low rolling resistance tyres fitted to blue motion cars were fitted to an ordinary Up, would there be a significant difference in mpg? I just wondered if anyone has ever tried this? Obviously, you would wait until your existing tyres have worn out.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
I still think even being a full size spare, because they are steels with no hub cap or anything you wouldnt want to leave it on the car long term, youd want to put your nice wheel back on with a new tyre, so a spare to me is still just to get you to a garage to get that new tyre.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts