Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a point of interest...
After reading some time ago about spare wheels I started to think... I've never had a car without one and decided to do something about it... I checked out EBay and saw a new one at £40 and inviting the next bid at £45... Well I kept track of it and it eventually went for nearly £87 plus postage... As a matter of interest I phoned the dealer who I bought my Up from and he quoted £70 - so I ordered one! Went to collect it and it was plus the dreaded VAT - which brought it to £84. Still a good buy! The jack (essential with a spare wheel) was a further £22 + VAT. I didn't bother with a wheel brace as I already have a 17mm socket and wrench. Now I have peace of mind.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Well worth it if you were offered one! I wasn't aware I didn't have one until I looked in the boot, is it too late to go back to the dealer and ask for one for £50 due to the fact they didn't explain that the spare was an extra?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Only available for £50 if a factory order. If a stock car it probably will not have one.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Yes I realise that but is it not the responsibility of the salesperson to point this out? I will email tomorrow and ask why I was not advised about the spare being an extra. I will also advise I have yet to give feedback to VW UK on the performance of the dealership and that a discounted spare wheel would go a long way to ensuring I gave positive feedback.

·
Registered
119 Posts
as far as i'maware the wheel off a polo should do the same job and £20 from scrapy or free from a mate

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you have both winter and summer tires, then just take one from whichever set that isn´t mounted on the car.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just out of interest, does anybody have a part number/makers name,for the jack? Is it new for the up or has it been astandard jack (available from a scrapyard)? I want one that fits properly without damaging the sill.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the spare wheel "thing" is a bit of a thorny problem. For the sake of £50 I don't think anyone in their right mind should even think of not ordering the spare wheel.

I also think that from other people's comments that the dealers aren't making customers aware of it "not being there"

It's all well and good if you get a puncture in the middle of the tyre's tread pattern, but what if the puncture is in the sidewall of the tyre?I actually took an alternative tack on the subject.

I decided to get a Spacesaver wheel from ebay. For the 4 x 100 stud there are many VW Polo Spacesavers (in new condition) out there. It arrived, then the difficulties start.

1) How to secure the wheel in the boot well. Trip to dealers to get some idea of the way it is retained in the car
2) Trip to scrap yard to find similar bolt/clamp
3) No toolkit, so no way of replacing the wheel. Back to ebay to source "as good as new" Polo toolkit and polystyrene foam fitting to place in centre of wheel.
4) Read on forum that Spacesaver wheel from Polo needs 5mm spacer to clear brake.
5) Back to ebay to buy spacer.
6) Now realise that Spacesaver is below the level of the rest of boot. Anything heavy on the "lower" boot now bends the floor matting down to the centre.
7) Still have original VW compressor and sealant all in big polystyrene foam fitting. What to do with that? Leave it at home or place loose on boot?

So, the whole process took about 2 weeks, cost £25.00 for the Spacesaver wheel, £21.00 for the toolkit and it's holder, £4.00 for the spacer and £5.00 for the clamp from the scrap yard. The result is, in my eyes, far from satisfactory and I may still abandon the idea and go back to the VW dealer offer on ebay of £90.00 for a copy of the wheel and toolkit that should originally come with the car.

Still really love my up!, but perhaps this can be a lesson to the rest of you!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just been out and checked...
3C0 011 031 B
Wagenheber

Interesting point: On the label of the jack it says "PASSAT B6 B7.BN3"
Whether this any meaning... So, wondering..., I tried the jack on the car and it works good, lifting effortlessly.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
235 Posts
You don't need to be too precious about the jack - an Aygo jack fits and works perfectly!

With summer and winter tyres, I'm sticking with the canister and pump. If the tyre gets too badly damaged to continue, I would just use the AA to get me out of trouble.

Around half the cars made today don't have a spare wheel and many don't even have anywhere to put one!

·
Registered
592 Posts
AA will only tow you home - with a spare you can continue your journey!

·
Registered
705 Posts
But the car's covered by the RAC. I'd watch out if you find an AA man trying to take your car home for you!

Nick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi
With ref to the spare wheel....its all about doing your homework on the car (options, spec, etc) that you are going to purchase....its all in black and white. Just an observation.............Believe me salespersons may actually know less than you!!!!!

They will certainlyknow one thing - the price, thats for sure......

Happy motoring..........

·
Registered
592 Posts
Frankjetta said:
I chose the no spare option, no problem. The only problem for me is not being told the jack and tools are part of the option.

Costly mistake then for a mere £50!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think it depends on your circumstances whether or not you choose to have the spare wheel. I don't travel far in my car and wouldn't have a clue how or, I suspect, the strength, to change a wheel or attempt a repair. I would always have to call for help and only travel locally so it seemed a waste of £50 to buy the wheel. Just hope I don't end up regretting it!

·
Registered
176 Posts
13REGUPOWNER said:
I think it depends on your circumstances whether or not you choose to have the spare wheel. I don't travel far in my car and wouldn't have a clue how or, I suspect, the strength, to change a wheel or attempt a repair. I would always have to call for help and only travel locally so it seemed a waste of £50 to buy the wheel. Just hope I don't end up regretting it!

I took an "off the shelf" car so wasn't able to take the spare wheel option. However, it seems to make sense if you don't even use it as a spare. Wait until one of the tyres is worn (but not to the limit), and use the spare instead of buying a new tyre......

1 - 20 of 23 Posts