Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted elsewhere but no replies so this is a plea for anyone with a space saver spare to please measure its diameter including the tyre. I want to see if it would fit where the tyre-goo kit etc fits in my boot. It looks like a wheel size hole but front to back its smaller - 620mm diameter except just 555mm front to back a sort of flat tyre shaped well. Also if its the common 14" one how wide is the centre (so will it fit over brakes in place of my 15"alloys.
can't find any details elsewhere - cheers

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Hi adn Welcome!
sorry if i have read this wrong im at work lol not with it today

but Up!'s never came with a space saver? they came with a full size spare wheel.

and in the wheel well at the back, you can easily fit a complete full size spare 14's steel wheel with a brand new tyre of the normal size with noo issues. if you have the wheel face down, you can also put the spare tool kit in the centre of the wheel too. when you put the carpet boot liner / floor back down, you wont notice any protrusion as in it wont even stick out....

if you have a non GTI like mine, then the 14's will fit fine... if you have the GTI,, the front brakes are slgihtly larger therefore you will need a 15'' spare wheel minimum. and depending on the tyre size, this should also fit as the rolling radius might be the same depending on what tyre size you are using...

·
Registered
520 Posts
I did reply to your previous post and informed you that the 14" wheel does fit in the wheel well, that's what it's there for, if you don't believe me then here's a picture of my 14" spare wheel sitting comfortably in the wheel well with it's tool kit in the centre....

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i need to get msyelf a torch lol comes in very handy!

used to keep it in the doorbin, but that seems a good place. atleast it wont go walkies when somone see's and decides they want to 'borrow it'

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx ppl and sorry whatsup - i was looking for a 'find my posts/replies' function but haven't seen one. My up is an electric one with 15" alloys. I guess what I will have to do is whip off a front wheel & measure the calliper - the bigger wheels may have been for gearing/show & not to clear big brakes. So if it fits I could always get a 14" as a 'limp to a tyre fixer' option or one of the spacesavers - if not a 15" of either would do as long as it fits the well. I haven't had a puncture in any car for years but wouldn't like the goo & hope method supplied.

·
Registered
520 Posts
a 15" wheel rim is obviously bigger than a 14" but the tyres on a 15" are lower profile than on a 14". The result is that the overall diameter is the same on both so it's perfectly safe to drive with three 15" wheels and one 14".

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An up!-date. I have found there is a 1" or 25mm gap between my front discs and the special 15" e-up! alloys. I suspect the callipers are standard (because a lot of braking is via regen) so, as long as they havent't changed callipers in the past 2 or so years I could risk buying a 14" spacesaver spare to put in the boot. Fleabay beckons - here's hoping.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another up! date I bought a spacesaver 16" wheel so no probs fitting over brakes etc. Lo profile tyre so the outside diameter is about 1.5 inches less but obviously OK - trial fit to wheels was good and it pushed into the boot space (If I squeeze it a bit it sits right down but I left it slightly up at 't front - still plenty of room under the floor at lowest setting. I wrapped all the tools in an old towel to sit inside it nicely. It cost me 28 lbs for the wheel but I didn't need 10 lbs of stuff so only 18 lbs extra to lug about - reeesult!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi Stevie
Late reply, sorry, just joined

Space saver, not UK spec, where did you find one? Standard 14'' wheel fits the boot but I have a BEATS version so have an amp in the boot. Hand book shows it nestled inside a space saver............(not UK hand book)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Mike, did you ever find a space saver solution as I have an UP GTi with beats audio and would love to have a spare aswell as the subwoofer. Cheers, Ben

1 - 11 of 11 Posts