Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<div style="margin-left: 2px; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">Ive ordered my basic red take up with no extras as a means to get to work and back,apparently they dont do light blue any more!I had to have a VW double as Ive been a dub nut for about 20 years.
I am picking it up form Listers Stratford on 1st september at 1130 :) a great a great saleswoman by the name of Becky Porter looked after me when choosing the car.
Now I'm feeling the need to find some nice wheels and tyres and to lower it a tad, I was thinking of some BBS LM replica's and 35 mm springs.
Now, VW have sent me an email offering me some extras, the upsilon alloys caught my eye, I have asked for a quote to add it on the my 36month payment plan and it only works out to £25 per month extra.
Now Becky has told me that the 16 inch wheels will make a 5% difference to my speedo rating!
I find this strange as these wheels are fitted to the rock up and other models.
she quoted the tyre size as 185/50/16.
Is this the correct tyre size? should it make a difference to the speedo if they are the right size?
The bigest question is,,,, Upsilons or BBS LM reps?
I am swaying toward the upsilons as they will weather better being OEM wheels and because I can spread the cost over 3 years. However i do fancy some LM's with a polished rim grey centre and a red BBS centre caps purely for the looks!
What do you guys think?
Springs will come ASAP!

·
Registered
95 Posts
That's a huge additional payment. £25 a month over 3 years = £900!!! Might be better to use that towards a Move up! which has alloys and many other extras.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If you're Ok with 15" wheels instead of 16", you can get a nice set of aftermarket alloys for under £300. There's a set of nearly new tyres in the for sale section of this site for £100. That would be a lot cheaper and you'd still have the original wheels and tyres - you could use the original wheels for winter tyres and sell the tyres as brand new if you don't use them. Alternatively, the wheels and tyres will probably sell for at least £200 on ebay.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Surfsmarty said:
a great saleswoman by the name of Becky Porter looked after me when choosing the car.
Great doesn't describe her knowledge of the car and its accessories ...

Now Becky has told me that the 16 inch wheels will  make a 5% difference to my speedo rating!
Ã$ !

Standard VW tyre sizes + one popular alternative size

I'm running 185/60/15, the error is 3.4% indicating "too slow" , and the up is still going slower than the indicated tacho speed (some 2 mph / 3 kph) according to the GPS.

she quoted the tyre size as 185/50/16.
Is this the correct tyre size?
Yes.
Tyre selection in that size isn't too great though, and you pay dearly for the privilege .

You'll most likely get nicer rims for less than what VW wants for their own wheels.

VW Polygon are nice though ...
Edited by: _1S_

·
Registered
95 Posts
The different tyre sizes and speed accuracy got me thinking. What is the effect of different tyre sizes? The table below shows the variation for different tyre sizes on tyre diameter, rolling circumference and speed. I've used _1S_'s 3.4% speed error for 185/60/15 tyres as reference for the speed at 70mph. Based on this, the most accurate speed reading would be using 185/55/16 tyres!

TyreSpeedo indicates 70mph
SizeØ (mm) Circ.(mm)% Change Actual Speed
185/55/155851836 Reference (100%)-5.30%66.3
185/60/155961871101.9% -3.40%67.6
195/60/156031893103.1% -2.20%68.5
185/50/165911855101.0% -5.47%66.2
185/55/166101915104.3% -0.13%69.9
195/45/16582182799.5% -8.19%64.3

Please don't assume this is correct (I might have made a mistake) or that the tyre sizes are suitable! Just a bit of fun.

·
Registered
583 Posts
By law & regulations, car tachos read too high with all OEM tyre sizes.
Put another way: you're always going slower than what they indicate.

185/60/15 is 3.4% larger than the reference tyre for the eco up! -
they get 175/65/14 as standard.
Still reads about 2 mph slow with these tyres , so those 3,4% are not the speed error

·
Registered
95 Posts
Good point. They can read up to 10% too high but must not read too low. The best check is with a GPS, as you did; if anyone is thinking of using alternative tyres please check the calcs for yourself. I intend to use 185/60/15 for winter tyres. I presume they have worked fine for you.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My M3 came with LM replicas and I swapped them for genuine LMs because the replicas just look cheap and garbage. From a far they look good but up close they are just crap. Personally I'd steer clear of them. They suffer badly from lacquer peel.

With the up being 4x100 and 15s being the standard size there are so many OEM Volkswagen wheels that have went before it that will fit. Most of them should be the correct offset as well.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Jalna said:
I intend to use 185/60/15 for winter tyres. I presume they have worked fine for you.
No issues at all with that tyre size - works like a charm !

Acceleration will be a tad slower, but that's hardly noticeable.
Speedo still reads on the safe side.
Tyres are cheaper in this size, and the choice is better as well.
VW chose really strange tyre sizes ...

Here in Belgium it'd fail its MoT test because of the tyres - we're only allowed 2% difference, and they are 3.4%

Edited by: _1S_

1 - 12 of 12 Posts