Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2016 Up! I have noticed that the the meter displays a speed about 5 km/h (3.1 mph) higher than the actual speed when driving at 50 km/h (31 mph). At 100 km/h (62 mph) the error is doubled. Does anyone know if the meter can be adjusted? The tyres are 185 55/R15.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hi Andy,
I was told ages and ages ago that speedometers only have to be correct to within +/-10% legally (I cannot vouch for the accuracy of this statement, but it's roughly the right offset in speed between my speedometer and my GPS readouts). The speedometer readout will also change depending on the size of your wheels/tyres, as the sensor measures revolutions/minute and assumes the wheel is a certain size to calculate speed - I believe it uses the standard issue wheel diameter, as I haven't seen the spec sheet for the sensor. It might be possible to update the sensor's saved wheel profile through the car's OBD-II diagnostic port, but I suspect that's not something intended to be adjusted. Unless the wheels you put on the car are substantially outside those issued as standard (it's generally recommended to stay within +/- 1"/25.4mm of spec for ride comfort and to avoid rubbing on/colliding with other components in the wheel well), you will stay within that +/-10% bracket anyway. And as long as the speed it's showing is slightly too high, at least you know you are definitely under the speed limit and unlikely to trip a speed camera!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, both! 10 percent offset, yeah, like mine then, suppose that's acceptable. Should be interesting, though, to hear from others, too.

·
Registered
650 Posts
My Gti is the same, about ten %. Wife's Tsi less so, but still out 2mph at 40

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After our discussion, I have searched the net and have come across different articles discussing the matter. 10 % inaccuracy seems to be more or less the rule. Across brands.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It's fairly standard across every car tbh. I think it's so people don't get tickets then claim against manufacturers for their speedo being inaccurate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Noticed that my 69 plate is reading 10% over on the physical speedo and 5% over on the digital display. Do you think this can be recalibrated by the dealership so that at least the digital display is accurate? Seems to be at all speeds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hi Barnsey,

Like mentioned above, around 10 percent inaccuracy seems to be be more or less the rule - across brands. Strange, however, that the two meters are not synchronized?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Noticed that my 69 plate is reading 10% over on the physical speedo and 5% over on the digital display. Do you think this can be recalibrated by the dealership so that at least the digital display is accurate? Seems to be at all speeds.
They won't, it's done that way across all cars and brands.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm wondering if it's actually my phone at fault and maybe the digital display is spot on as just drove through a 50mph avg speed zone and nothing was really overtaking me. Must investigate further.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Now I'm thinking maybe all Up speedometers are now calibrated for the larger GTI wheels? And because the tolerance is 10% they don't have to bother with adjusting for other models with smaller wheels?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Could the roadside signs be wrong? I have experienced having driven past two or three of those in an afternoon, just to realize they all come up with different numbers at the same speed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, they usually are if someone is ahead of us - then they can still show that speed or be temporarily 'confused'. But we have to take that into account. My indicated speed also be checks out later against GPS speed reading from dashcam footage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts