Up Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1000 miles my thoughts:-

Handling and comfort: very good. In fact as close to perfect as you could get in such a small car. It drives like a car that's much bigger than it is. Road noise is well suppressed for a car of the the size

Style & design: Funky and functional. Even the much maligned rear parcel shelf hasn't bugged me and having M&M integrated into the car is really good. I'm glad I ordered the speaker pack and cruise control after a couple of long journeys to North and South Devon. IMHO the 3 door is better looking but I needed the extra 2 doors.

Engine and Gearbox: Provided you ignore the gear change prompts on the speedo progress can be good. Changing up too early prompts the engine to loose torque so I change up at about 2300 rpm unless on a steep or long incline. The gearbox is easy even engaging reverse although the gear change is audible if you have the windows down and especially 1st to 2nd. My Mondeo gearbox could also be heard under similar conditions. The engine burbles under load but cruising at 70mph is relaxed and and almost inaudible. I like the noise it makes when you give itbeans.

Fun Factor: Brilliant. I love driving it much to my amazement after coming down from a much larger higher power and spec car.

Overall Verdict: The canines testicles

Edited by: Roger the Shrubber

·
Registered
448 Posts
Glad you are pleased with your Up! We have now done just over 2000 miles and I could write your report almost word for word!

I like the look of both the 3 door and 5 door, but as you, needed the latter.
Long may our enjoyment continue...which I have no doubt it will.

Go well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm only just begining to increase my rev range to max 4000rpm and the car is surprisingly swift if as you expand the rev envelope.

The biggest waste of time is the Blue Trainer imho. It encourages you to labour the engine and this little 3 pot needs a few more rpm.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I suspect there are quite a few of us who have come to the Up! from bigger Diesel cars, with a lot of low rev torque, and to change our driving style back to small petrol engines of our youth, does take a bit of re-learning! Remember the Mini? 1 litre as the Up! but what a world of difference, all these years later....as you would expect.

Go well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does remind me of driving my old 1971 mini 1000 Night Owl but with a lot more comfort and power.

200 miles in my mini was painful whereas 200 miles in my Up is a breeze

·
Registered
583 Posts
Roger the Shrubber said:
I'm only just begining to increase my rev range to max 4000rpm and the car is surprisingly swift if as you expand the rev envelope.
Yup.

Last week I misjudged a traffic situation, and redlined my 68HP CNG up in 1st gear to get outta there.
Looked at the dash as I shifted up, and saw the rev counter drop through the "6"

I got quite a surprise !
It's supposed to only do 16.x seconds to 100kph / 62mph, but it sure felt a whole lot quicker than that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Automatics in sports mode or kick down always redline before changing gear. The first time is quite a bit unsettling.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is all excellent stuff and I absolutely concur with all the above.The big difference between driving the Up and old Minis of my experience is the massive sense of achievement you got from actually arriving without it breaking down or anything falling off.
It's great to hear Spiny Norman is living up to expectations.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I agree with you Nick. I have owned much bigger and faster cars but they don't compare to the enjoyment of driving my Up! The only problem I have had is a faulty CD player. My dealer replaced the whole unit and gave the car a full valet. Excellent car and excellent service well pleased.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts