Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So without going into it and waffling on, my car was parked at work, in the sunshine, cars blocking it on all sides (other staff). We found it with the driver window smashed, shattered, mullered. It had CCTV on it all day, none of the other cars moved and no one came past it or broke in, nothing was stolen and the whole in the glass not only bowed outwards but also was barely big enough to side my arm in.

I think (and most other people) think it was a spontaneous break, Vw disagree and will not payout.

Anyone had anything similar? Glass blowing,cracking? Vw warranty?

The car is march 2013 so barely 7months old, has been to one specific dealer (who have it now) twice in the time. Once for a recall and last week (!) For its first service.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It couldn't have been a kid with an air rifle could it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
When you say the glass bowed outwards do you mean the shattered pieces hanging out, or the intact glass bowed?

Once had a shower screen 'spontaneously explode' in the middle of the night, manufacturer didn't want to know about that either. Must of been residual stress in the glass, sounds like it could possibly be the same with yours.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had a work colleague with a Renault Megane (the shake that ass version) and her glass sunroof randomly imploded. Luckily for her it was a company car so the repair was covered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the shattered pieces were outside the car and remaining glass was bowed out.

A kid with an air rifle would be impressive considering how close the car next to it was parked and that there wasn't a bullet hole in the glass.

This dealership have told me twice now they have had the door card off. The first one I disbuted so they told me another person actually took it off. We've just got the car home now and my husband ACTUALLY took the door card off and found the mechanism they told me they saw, is behind a glued wall which hadn't been disturbed. Why do they have to lie?

The couple of people who have had shattered sunroofs or windscreens, do you know if they were done by insurance or warranty?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sounds like a stress induced fracture to me.

The only way for this to happen, is if your door or more particular the window sill is stressed (i.e. bent) with the door closed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The whole of the tailgate glass on my vw up has just shattered eRlier today .it was closed carefully as usual then c r a s h .....the whole glass kind of exploded and shattered into a million diamonds 'Ž very very odd.nothing caught in hinge of struts .closed ok then split second later ...gone.quite a shock .its under warranty but vw have said that accidents with glass not include .the dealer from where I bought it is doing it free out of goodwill..but tbh I would have kicked off as I don't see why I should pay .ive had the care 6 months it has just past its mot and health check 100% pass and it is lovingly nurtured and cared for as I absolutely ˜� love her.i did nothing at all wrong.i think the glass was under pressure and as there is no frame I believe it warped and blew.its being sorted now but still shocked to see it go off like that xxx

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Could be thermal shock... Was there a sudden temperature change?

·
Registered
6 Posts
No not really...the temp change in weather would not be significant enough to cause this I don't think ...thank you for reply xxx

·
Registered
397 Posts
I read many years ago of a guy who, having garaged his car overnight, found next morning that his front windscreen had shattered. I do remember that the car was a Renault (not that that should be of any significance) and that the general opinion was that the windscreen had an in inherent flaw which took its time but finally activated.

·
Registered
520 Posts
EU regulations require manufacturers to fit laminated glass windscreens for safety reasons but not on the side or rear windows. Why not? probably down to cost but you'd think it would make sense to at least make the tailgate window from laminated glass.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our VW Up parked outside a neighbour's property in hot weather [normally garaged] when driver's side window exploded. Loud band witnessed by neighbour. Car still under warranty but dealership not interested as apart from the word of seventy year old neighbour who was in his garden tidying up at the time I have no evidence. Anyone else had anything similar happen?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It's rare, but it does happen... It's caused normally by thermal shock... I have had it happen to a window in my house... I though someone threw something at it, until I noticed that only the inside glass broke, not the outside one (double glazed)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, my up car side window (right hand side, passenger, 2nd row) was exploded yesterday while was driving on highway. The entire piece was blowed away, and then i had many pieces of small glasses on my passenger seat. I was shocked. I am now checking with parking place video to see if the window was cracked before i drove, or it might be a flying rock on the highway. I also suspected that there might be the window pressure from the car. But dealers doesn't think so and I have no proof. I just hope that was not caused by the car's window quality otherwise my car would be a time bomb....my car was two years old and under warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I heard a boom while driving on the highway, and then my entire side window was gone... nothing left. I got some falling pieces on the seat. Glad that nobody was sitting there. I drove about 90km per hour on the highway in Copenhagen. And it was not fast speed on the highway. just normal and a bit slower (the weather was foggy and dark so everybody drove carefully);

Can somebody explain to me, how big impact can damage the window like this? Does a flying rock damage like this or the pressure issue can cause the huge explosion...

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Does a flying rock damage like this or the pressure issue can cause the huge explosion...
Were you passing a truck when it happened ?

projected stones can seriously damage your windshield - and that's laminated glass.
The fold-out rear windows are relatively thin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. There was indeed a truck on the right side, and it happened on the highway. I have a video camera in my car, so I looked at the video, however it couldn’t tell if there was a stone because the camera was toward the front view. It was a bad luck for me and the flying stone got me... I have to pay attention next time when I drive passing by big trucks.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yes. There was indeed a truck on the right side, and it happened on the highway.
Then you have the most likely culprit ...
Just bad luck.
Nothing much you can do about it, other than not driving too close behind trucks and limit the time you're beside one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts