Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am wondering whether sports suspension is worth it on the Up Black... what do you all think? does it really look much different pictures would also help! make up my mind

I think have also decided against mud flaps as no one else seems to have them these days!

Would be interested in feedback!

Thanks

S

·
Registered
421 Posts
I ordered the sports pack on mine, have a look at MarkyMark in the gallery his is black with the pack

·
Registered
619 Posts
The folk that have fitted the sports suspension seem to like it and it does not seem to affect the ride quality much. I like the standard set up though - it has a nice ride quality, even on 16" wheels.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's £200 for 'sports suspension' on the up! Black. I'm not sure how much the 'sports pack' for the high up costs, but as the 'pack' includes window tints and different wheels, it's probably more worthwhile.

The up! Black already has the window tints and 16" wheels so all you get for £200 is the suspension.

I'll take a pick of the rear wheel and arch of my car when I get home. I have an up! Black with standard suspension, and I think it looks fine. With lighter colours, the inside of the arch is more visible, so they could be improved with sports suspension.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Si I have a set of mudflaps waiting to go on. Genuine VW, bought from eBay at a fraction of the price from the dealership.

Will take a pic when hubby gets round to putting them on

There is a thread on here somewhere, aesthetics against practicality, as apparently the rear gets quite dirty.Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
short overhangs = manky tailgate....mitigated a little by mudflaps. I live rurally so roads often covered in all kinds(breeds) of sharn (sharn is a north-east scotland word for what you think it is!)front flaps stop it getting thrown up onto the exhaust where it cooks nicely with a rather un-appealing odour!

Flaps are a must imho!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok mud flaps it is then :)

Now hoe about sport suspension?

Sharon, does yours have the sports suspension?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Si: Why don't you try RainX before shelling out for mudflaps - a £7 bottle would last for a while if only applied to the rear window. I think others on the forum have tried this with good results.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Hi Si

Just for reference I think both sets of mudflaps cost me £24 delivered, a bargain, as VW want £55 each pair as I can recall.

No I didn't go for the sports suspension. I don't think it lowers the car that much (for £200) and i don't like having to think about how I drive over speed bumps etc. I live in a village and my run to work is all through villages with less than perfect roads. That said, my daughter who is 18 wants me to lower it!

TBH I'm a bit of a muppet re lowering, I find it hard to tell most of the time. We did have a NB that was lowered with a front splitter and it was always breaking Edited by: bugbabe34

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'd agree that the Rain-X (or the Autoglym alternative?) will help considerably in keeping the glass tailgate cleaner, though all the muck will dribble down the rear bumper instead.

Nick

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was actually thinking about buying some RainX at the weekend to try it on the rear screen. I quite like the idea...

As far asmud flapsgo, I'm not a great fan. My fear would be that they would get torn off, causing damage to the bumper etc, on some of the large speed tables that councils are so fond of these days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi there, I've ordered the sports suspension too, I would imagine the ride will be a little firmer and don't forget you get the 16" Triangle Alloys, which look fab!! Talking of which - does anyone know if you can get black VW centre caps instead of white, as I think they look slightly out of place!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the sports pack on my car and this is now the 5th VW that I have had with "sports suspension". In reality it is just a slightly lowered set-up giving, in my opinion, a better stance on the car. The ride on 16" alloys is firmer than the standard set up but more than acceptable apart from on the worst of road surfaces. The trade-off is less body roll which I prefer.

Re the centre caps, my car is red and the white ones do look out of place. VW are supplying me with a black set of centre caps which are currently on order. I will post pics as soon as I have them and as soon as it stops raining here!!!

·
Registered
94 Posts
As promised, a pic of the rear wheel without the sports suspension. (Sorry its a bit out of focus, I was getting soaked)!!

Remember, the sports suspension pack on up! Black/White specials does NOT include the rather snazzy triangle alloys.
My thoughts on the sports suspension when ordering mine were that my last two cars were a Mazda RX8 and a Mazda MX5. Both of which could be considered sports cars and as such, were fitted as standard with what can only be described as sports suspension.
The up! however, is certainly not regarded as a sports car, therefor sports suspension is certainly not required.

If the aesthetics of the lower suspension pleases you though, go for it!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi,

Problem is find a pic of the lower sports suspension... can someone post a pic like the one above, but with it lower

Also, think might pass on the mud flaps after all...

S

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go to gallery and you will find a pic of my car with the sports suspension and triangle alloys...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
As with the Up Black you don't even get the wheels, I might not bother with the suspension... I don't think it looks different enough... Does it feel different?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It is simply lowered by 15mm so that makes the ride firmer and there is less roll in corners. Personally, I prefer it but each to their own!

·
Registered
94 Posts
alamanda said:
Hi there, I've ordered the sports suspension too, I would imagine the ride will be a little firmer and don't forget you get the 16" Triangle Alloys, which look fab!! Talking of which - does anyone know if you can get black VW centre caps instead of white, as I think they look slightly out of place!!
Black centre caps are available as a cost option according to my dealer. £45 for a set of 4.

Will be ordering some as soon as I get a build week.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I asked for mine to be swapped when the car came in as to be honest it should have black ones anyway on a black car

1 - 20 of 27 Posts