Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just seen a silver up in Darlington and it doesn't look that appetising in the real world. think a lupo will be getting bought instead

·
Registered
172 Posts
Had 3 Lupos... waiting for my Up! Go for the Up... it surpasses the Lupo in so many ways. Yes the Lupo is a great wee car but it's old now and chances are you'll spend quite a bit on sorting out various age-related issues even if you manage to pick up a good well cared for model. Good luck!

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have to admit I loved the up! as soon as I saw it at the dealership but then I've always liked small cars (got a Toyota Aygo at the minute).

It's such a shame that you don't like it but we're all different and I do hope you find something that suits you better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
jack90safc said:
just seen a silver up in Darlington and it doesn't look that appetising in the real world. think a lupo will be getting bought instead
I just traded in my 10 yr. old Lupo for an up! As far as I'm concerned it was definitely an "up" grade. The up is every thing the Lupo should have been. It's ride comfort, handling and road worthiness are far superior than that of the Lupo.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I like both, we have a Lupo for sale if your interested, but I can't see how a car that is 7 years or more older can be compared to a nice shiny new one.

We have two Lupos, getting rid of one and keeping the other and the Up.

Both are good cars IMO. But nothing compares to a new car ˜ƒ

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
jack90safc said:
Take a look at other colours. Whilst not wanting to be rude to silver Up owners, I was not keen on the silver, somthing about the way it defines the shape. I'm not sure that the Lupo has that the Up lacks. I think the Up has significantly better fuel economy, a more modern engine, more space inside, and it is brand new.

·
Registered
619 Posts
jack90safc: It may be an idea to go to your nearest VW dealership and have a drive in the Up. The ride quality alone is better than in some much larger cars. This was a major plus point when I drove the Up. In fact for me comfort, reliability and affordability were more important considerations than looks or style. Your requirements may differ of course...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So true I'm now being torn in two. Lupo is a future classic in my eyes and it is expensive to buy 2nd hand over £3,000 for a y reg. think I might get the UP my configuration was TAKE UP tornado all extras bar chrome bits and sunroof. Coming in at £12,000 I also see this as being a future classic as in 15 years time 50% of the cars will be electric. so hard if I'm honest I would of bought a UP already of it wasn't for me working away a lot and putting lots of miles on a new car. Just waiting until I get to work in a local branch

Thanks for your help much appreciated

·
Registered
525 Posts
What I like about the up! Is that it looks different from other cars. Look at what they've done with the citigo - made it look like everything else. So dull! Go for the up!!! It's what the Frech call "Jolie laide" I think. Ie a little odd looking but sexy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Seen a silver move up at our dealership....was not impressed...did not look good at all...GLad ours is candy white...looks good and feels good......probably the best little car in the world

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes as above I think it's all about colour. I do NOT like red cars and personally don't think the red enhances the blackened areas of the car very well - not to upset any red up! owners of course as that's just my opinion!

I had a silver Fiat 500 and it looked fab but think it makes the up! look a little "safe".

I had a black Alfa Mito but didn't choose this colour for the up! as, again,I didn't feel that it showed off the car's black areas like the rear very well..... it's all a matter of personal choice!

Edited by: techwork

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
see I think the red does compliment the black as its to very bold colours. would be modified it to black wingmirrors etx over time. BIG IF tho :s confused dot con

·
Registered
212 Posts
I wouldn't have given the Lupo a first look never mind a second as it was just another small car in a sea of small cars. The up! seems to have taken a giant leap forward for small cars in comparison to the likes of the Fiat 500, Panda, Twingo, Clio, Aygo/C1/10-whatever, Smart, IQ etc.

It even seems a massive leap away from the Lupo and Fox.

A bold statement I know but I reckon it might just be the nearest thing to a classic for VW since the Mk1 Golf.....time will tell. It might just be another nice car.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Manacee said:
I wouldn't have given the Lupo a first look never mind a second as it was just another small car in a sea of small cars. The up! seems to have taken a giant leap forward for small cars in comparison to the likes of the Fiat 500, Panda, Twingo, Clio, Aygo/C1/10-whatever, Smart, IQ etc.

It even seems a massive leap away from the Lupo and Fox.

A bold statement I know but I reckon it might just be the nearest thing to a classic for VW since the Mk1 Golf.....time will tell. It might just be another nice car.
The Up is the first time in a long while that VW has been competing on equal terms with the competition in the city car market segment. I'm not convinced it is revolutionary in that there are other small cars with similar mpg and performance. What the Up does is improve on them on most fronts. So it has more interior space than most, and matches a Ford Fiesta which is in the SuperMini class. It has a decent boot, almost matching a VW Polo. It matches the mpg of the Toyota Aygo and siblings. It has a smoother quieter ride than most if not all. It has a decent quality albeit basic interior that is better than most in its class. So you get class leading City Car economy with super mini space and ride quality.

In a sense they have ripped off the Toyota Aygo and siblings, except that they have spent a bit more on the car, to make it a bit nicer inside, and quieter at speed. And they have a very advanced engine, which apparently is so compact that it allows more cabin space, which is why the Up have almost as much cabin space as the Polo.

I am always surprised how this car can do 80 mph on the motorway and cabin noise is not excessive, far from it, it is modest. I've even had it doing roughly 100 mph (on the clock) and it was stable and frighteningly quiet.

Sorry to rant ...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts