Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I waited for a Mayan blue coloured UP! to pass on the opposite side of the road yesterday afternoon before I was able to reverse on to my drive upon returning home from work.

Also spotted two UP!s passing me in quick succession, on the A1 earlier this morning; one of which was candy white and the other deep black.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Much respect to you Miserable Git. So good to hear that some drivers are in the habit of reverse parking. It seems to be a dying art but for me it always seems much easier to drive off rather than reverse off into the road. The same applies to parking in car parks.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. Where and when possible, I'll always reverse on to my drive or into a parking space.

Reversing does indeed make it so much easier to drive off upon return, particularly in car parks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I always reverse park too, using my side mirrors. I feel more vulnerable reversing out of a parking space and like the extra control that I have when reverse parking. Rear sensors help confidence wise too but. Still revere park on th rare occasion that I drive my husbands car which doesn't have the sensors.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You Go Kat!

It's good to see that you don't require training, which has recently been offered by my employer, to teach employees the lost art of reverse parking.

Apparently, the HSE idiots at my place of work, believe that driving into a parking space, as opposed to reversing into it, is dangerous and, thus, they periodically apply 'yellow cards' to windscreens of incorrectly parked vehicles.

The problem has supposedly become so bad, that in recent weeks a memo has been circulated offering those, uncomfortable with the notion of reverse parking, the opportunity to receive refresher training on how to reverse park.

As a shift worker, I'm occasionally fortunate enough to find a vacant parking spot in the first row of the car park, outside of the building.

Despite the fact that I find this rule idiotic, I'll make a point of reversing into the spot, so that my UP! is the only correctly parked vehicle, with its nose sticking out amongst a row of boots.

Upon entering the building, I'll casually remark to the security guard of the day that I'm not being issued with a yellow card, since I'm correctly parked.

The security guards also agree that the insistence by the HSE idiots, that vehicles are parked back to back, is sheer nonsense, even though the system is wholly policed by the idiots in the management suite.

However, I've no doubt that this is another of those stupid directives, passed by the idiotic bureaucrats in Brussels, that UK employers have been forced to implement into HSE law.

I believe that the only way to retain a sense of our national Sovereignty, is to exit the EU, so that the country can no longer be a slave to these bureaucrats who are simply interested in lining their pockets, thus ending four decades of having to adhere to the idea of political correctness.

No guesses as to who I'm voting for at next year's General Election.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
21 Posts
Really? You've made a thread about waiting to reverse park and waving at ups into a bigoted rant? I'm surprised you drive an up! As it was made by vw, who built the beetle which was commissioned by hitler, AND the up is allowed to be sold free of sales tax in the uk due to the eu trading treaties, which is killing off good car brands like Jensen, triumph, and many other British Leyland institutes...

Oh no those car brands died in the 80s... Just like the attitude you have adopted should have...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jstars, you're quite rightly entitled to your own opinion but rest assured I'm certainly no bigot, although I'll readily admit that, in recent years, I've grown to become anti-EU.

By contrast, upon reading your comment regarding the UP! being sold free of sales tax, I'd be inclined to suggest that by your comment, you too, have also displayed a hint of dislike towards the EU, particularly since you've cited EU treaties, enabling tax free sales, as a reason behind the decline of British vehicle manufacturing.

Moreover, the fact that you've dragged a period of history into the thread, a period of history in which Germany would much prefer to forget, having spent the past 60+ years doing its best to make amends for its atrocities, only serves to support my statement, surrounding your feeling towards the EU, in the afore-mentioned paragraph.

As mentioned earlier, I have grown to become anti-EU, due to the intrusion of EU laws and directives that Parliament is 'forced' to lay down in statute, which govern our daily lives.

The rulings and directives that are passed may work in certain member states but not in others, despite the fact that the existing law worked perfectly well.

Granted, Parliament can tailor rulings and directives to work alongside existing Statutes but when Great Britain entered the European Economic Market (EEC), as it was in 1972, the EEC was simply a trading market, allowing free movement of trade between member states, based upon treaties that had been signed in the years since the end of WWII, chiefly, to introduce its existence whilst safe-guarding against the risk of future world wars.

I do not have an issue with the UK being a member of an EEC since exports, particularly in manufacturing, provide companies the opportunity for growth, which in turn, leads to increased levels of employment, thus benefitting the economy.

My concern over the EU, as previously stated, rests upon its intrusion of laws that govern our daily lives.

Consider what state the UK would be in had we chosen to accept the failed Euro as our choice of currency, given that the Euro-zone continues to falter while UK Sterling gains in strength, thus encouraging foreign investment in UK industries. In economic terms strength equals stability.

Upon its introduction, the EU stated that it would be ""˜catastrophic' for the UK not to accept a single, common currency. Look where that acceptance got Europe.

If the UK walked away from full EU membership, it would still continue to enjoy strong trade links with the EU, not least under the Greenland Treaty, but also due to the £160billion it currently exports to EU member states, in addition to saving money on the amount it currently surrenders as a full member of the EU.

Norway and Switzerland still enjoy strong trade-links with EU member states, yet don't seem to have fared too badly by not submitting to full membership.

Lastly, Jstars, the EU does not exist of just the UK and Germany, nations of which I do happen to share dual-nationality.

As such, I find your suggestion of surprise that I even drive an UP! to be well and truly misplaced.

Just for the record, I never stated that I waved at the driver of the Mayan blue UP! I waited for it to pass, before reversing onto my drive.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well if someone understood sarcasm I'm sure their day wouldn't have been filled up by waffling so hard. (I mean you miserable git, just FYI. Figured anyone would work that out but hey). Trading treaties and the origin of vw were used purely for comedic purposes to demonstrate the ridiculous standpoint that many UKIP members enjoy holding. They in no way reflected my views.

Also why did you not wave to the up? Bit rude.

I'm fairly sure anyone could work out that the eu have not told everyone to reverse park - hence I decided to point out the ridiculousness of your argument albeit through reductio ad abusurdum.

I'm not going to comment on the intricacies of eu doctrines, amendments and the repercussions of staying in or out and so on as unfortunately I can only skive off work for so long, and I'd much prefer to use it practising my reverse parking for the arrival of the reverse park law 2014 sponsored by miserable git enterprises.

(Again, sarcasm).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jstars, you really are the king of assumptions, aren't you?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
What I write is "my view of the truth" ...
But please imagine me writing this with a smile!

It is true that Hitler was Porsche's supporter.
Hitler was the one who wanted the KÃfer (Beetle) and who gave the order for VW to be built.
But mass production of the KÃfer never started! Instead, wappons and the "Kübelwagen" - a variation of the KÃfer were built in Wolfsburg.

The BRITISH started the mass production of the KÃfer and the BRITISH were the first "regular" KÃfer users! They were in the North-West of Germany from 1945 on (where Wolfsburg lies) and needed cheep car's for the British military government. So, from 1946-48, the KÃfer was mainly used by British military.
From June 1948 on the KÃfer became "the German car" as Germans now had a new currency and could buy new cars. But it lasted until the mid 50s that the Volkswagen (= people's car) really became a "Wagen für das Volk" (= car for the people) ...

By the way - you can still see the influence of the British from 1945-1949 on our federal radio and TV system! It is very similar to the BBC ...

- - - - - -

I'm pro EU, pro Euro, pro EEC ...

I raised up 5 miles near the Dutch border when there were borders and different currencies. The next big city was in the Netherlands and not in Germany. When I speak English, many British think I'm Dutch!

There are MANY things I don't like about the politics made in Brussels!!!
And I hate that German politicians don't adopt very good systems from the Netherlands, Scandinavia or Austria. We often go a complicated and expensive own way.
Our company mainly sells things from Czech Republic, Germany and Britain. We are glad that we pay everything in Euro now. We sell things to Switzerland - and this is always very complicated!

- - - - - -

EDIT: For me as a German it is very interesting that so many English don't want the European Union ...
The name United Kingdom already tells that your country is a union of England, Scottland, Wales and Northern Ireland. At least in Scottland and Wales many people want more independence from "London". "London" wants the other "countries" to stay in the union but on the other hand things about independence from Europe ...

Germany is a union too. A very complicated story during the centuries! We have our own problems; not only between the "old" and "new" (ex GDR) states. And we surely have more than 10% who wish to leave the EU as Germany has to pay a lot (and these people forget how our econnomy benefits).

Edited by: Cadfael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts