Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Facing an issue right now with my up! making an awful squeaking noise, especially in this cold-ish weather, when hitting those great British potholes - at this point I am struggling to avoid the things, and living almost all around speed bumps with a narrow car such as the up! is also probably doing it some harm bouncing up and down so often.

Of course I do my best to take care of the car, and so I am not admitting to ragging it about, bouncing off the redline or anything like that, but it does take some hard hits from the road sometimes.

I believe it might be the top mount causing the noise, but basically, when ever the front nearside wheel goes over something and absorbs some kind of shock, I hear this really bad sqeaking noise that is very audible in the cabin.

Don't know how adversely it affects the health of the car but either way I would like to get it sorted out ASAP.

Any info or ideas please let me know!

Thanks!

Custard

·
Registered
551 Posts
A few places to check :-
Top mount as you say.
Could be that one of those hard hits on that side has broken your nearside front spring, and the sound you hear is the two ends of the spring (where the break is) rubbing together. Is it a metal to metal squeak, or a rubbery sound ?
Ant--roll bar bushes.
Any bush in the lower n/s front suspensiop.
Unlikely to be a ball joint as they knock rather than squeak.
If your tyre has taken a hard hit, it is possible that the outer tread has become detached from the inner casing. Not common, but I had it some years ago on the Mrs' Toyota Aygo after she hit a huge pothole. Having said that, you'd hear it on every revolution of the wheel as we did, so probably not that.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine's been doing the same thing since October (ish). As you'll have noticed, most noises transfer into (and seem to be amplified) in the cabin, but that squeak is mighty irritating. It has been in for servicing, maintenance and its MOT since the squeak started; none has picked up any problems, but as soon as I am able I will have the wheel off and take a look myself (thanks for the suggestions @911ts3). In the meantime, all I can suggest is to take the speedhumps very slowly (15-ish seems to be ok) and do your best to straddle the square ones equally so the two front shocks can work together instead of fighting (I get noise much less frequently when going over the full road width ones, so the differential does seem to matter). As for the potholes...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have exactly the same problem with my 2013 Move Up!
Started a few months ago. More of a nuisance than anything else.
It'll have to wait till my mechanic sees it — not sure when that'll be with this virus situation.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Indeed. I wasn't able to get mine up on jacks before the lockdown, but I did notice the noise decreased considerably as the temperatures warmed up. It's not fond of being stationary for long periods, so hopefully the noise will not return once I do get to take it out again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here plancast, like with most things it is much happier when warmed up, when I have been out in the cold recently it has squeaked when I move even a nanometer! If I still have nothing to do in this lockdown, might give some silicone a go avoiding my brakes of course

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine had this, but since changing my control arm bushes it has gone. My rear bushes were badly perished.

You can check your rear bushes by putting the cat at full lock. Any perishing is quite visible as the arm gets twisted downwards.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine had this, but since changing my control arm bushes it has gone. My rear bushes were badly perished.

You can check your rear bushes by putting the cat at full lock. Any perishing is quite visible as the arm gets twisted downwards.
Many thanks for the info and instructions in your other post. I was told during its service and (separate) MOT that all was well with the various linkages and covers, but another check certainly won't hurt. Main problem for me is that mine is parked on a fairly narrow and busy street, so it's a bit hazardous working out there - where there's a will, there's a way!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Many thanks for the info and instructions in your other post. I was told during its service and (separate) MOT that all was well with the various linkages and covers, but another check certainly won't hurt. Main problem for me is that mine is parked on a fairly narrow and busy street, so it's a bit hazardous working out there - where there's a will, there's a way!
Mine went through an MOT too, and nothing mentioned about the perished bushes nor the squeak. It was only after I had a tiny vibration/rumbling/slight knock from the nearside corner when doing full lock left hander going into work, that I inspected hub. I got my son to wiggle the steering wheel back and forth at full lock. You could see the play in the bush, with the arm moving back and forth slighty with the steering at full lcok causing the hub to move at an obscure angle and loading up the driveshaft CV joint close together, making the rubbing/knocking noise. Been back to work since and no noise or rumbling.

Only thing is, now those bushes are new, they are showing up other worn items on the car....the top mounts. Might drop it on the slightly lower TSi springs at the same time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts