Up Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else suffered from squeaky brakes (front I think) with no apart reason?
The brakes aren't hot, or shouldn't be, as it happens on short journeys too- sub 3 miles, the brakes aren't wet, the brakes shouldn't be worn - still sub 2500miles on the clock.

Any ideas?

Your help is much appreciated on this :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sometimes they squeak because they don't get used hard enough. My Dad, who was a long-term member of the League of Safe Drivers (now part RoSPA), found that his discs used to glaze over and was advised that, instead of using anticipation, some occasional hard braking was good for the health of the braking system.

When do they squeak? I used to get the occasional noise when the steering was just off-centre, when the pads would rub very lightly on the discs, caused, I think, by the pads not retracting fully due to a build-up of dirt in the pistons. I could be very wrong on this, though.

The other problem that crops up sometimes is a piece of road debris getting trapped between the pad and the disc. Reversing the vehicle can often allow the stone to come free.

Nick

Edited by: Collas

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They only squeak when applied, as the vehicle draws to a stop.
They do get used, I do tend to drive with anticipation and aim to keep off the brakes, but most of my driving is in city, so it's inevitable to have to brake, and frequently fairly harshly.
It just seems odd.

·
Registered
525 Posts
What kind of squeak is it? I had a noise which was only audible at low speeds and sounded like a bike brake rubbing on a not quite round wheel. Eventually this got worse and turned into a perceptible judder. It was only after two new sets of discs that persistent detective work by the technician diagnosed that the hub was out of alignment. The same tech also told me that he had seen several ups with brake problems, so if you're in doubt I would get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a squeak I would expect to hear from worn pads, or particularly hot pads. It's intermittent though. It's kind of a high pitched, but particularly loud squeal.
Kinda like a hot 4pot would make?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Does sound like a stone or piece of grit. As Nick says, reversing will often fix that. If it starts doing it reliably you can always call the RAC. Bottom line it's a new car and ought to work properly.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does get reversed fairly often in fairness, I always reverse park. Just seems a little odd. Might pop into the dealers today and get her booked in to be sure, what with it being brakes and all that.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car is booked in for next Tuesday, I'll let you know how we get on.
I did notice this aft, it seems it happens most as I'm parking, so as I'm on maybe two thirds lock and pulling to a stop, it squeals like crazy, just not every time.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Could it be one of the brake pipes just flexing a bit and then causing the pads to contact the discs?

Nick

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Davec86 said:
The car is booked in for next Tuesday, I'll let you know how we get on.
I did notice this aft, it seems it happens most as I'm parking, so as I'm on maybe two thirds lock and pulling to a stop, it squeals like crazy, just not every time.
mine also does this...

·
Registered
583 Posts
On my motorcycle, I used to put some copper grease on the back of the pads - and on the back of the thin shims that went behind the pads.

Dunno about the up, but if it also has some shims behind the pads, they could cause the squeaking (vibration).

Debris in the caliper can also cause this, and that's something you want sorted out ASAP as it can score the disc.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't forget that motorcycle brake discs are considerably more complex, sophisticated and powerful than the brakes fitted to the up!, even though the weight difference should mean that the car's brakes ought to be doing more work.

Nick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts