Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Volkswagen Up! and it makes a squealing noise from the motor. The noise comes and goes. Mechanics at Volswagen have said this noise is completely normal and all Up!'s make this noise.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?? Is the Up! meant to squeal?

·
Registered
35 Posts
My Up has never once squealed, any mechanic that tries to tell you that a modern car squealing is normal needs a good slap. Persist and you'll get it sorted. Keep hassling them until they look at it under warranty.

·
Registered
171 Posts
SWM said:
I have a 2012 Volkswagen Up! and it makes a squealing noise from the motor. The noise comes and goes. Mechanics at Volswagen have said this noise is completely normal and all Up!'s make this noise.

Is anyone else experiencing the same?? Is the Up! meant to squeal?
For the last couple of months (my up! is just over a year old), mine's had a sort of shimmy squeal intermittently from somewhere up front when the engine is warm. Doesn't sound that healthy, but based on that description my dealer says it's the radiator fan, and perfectly normal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I Have a 2012 High up, and I have this whistling sound, haven't been to vw but have found from other members it is the water pump don't know if it's a fault but mines always done it

·
Registered
171 Posts
I managed to catch it making the sound this afternoon, and, with the bonnet open, could tell it was coming from what the Workshop Manual calls the "poly V-belt" ""“the belt you can see in this diagram that runs the alternator and AC compressor.

So the sound definitely isn't coming from the radiator fan or the water pump, both of which are the other side of the engine.

My sound is very like this, from the equivalent bit of a Golf:

[TUBE]qKpmrJRy4Po[/TUBE]

Edited by: +2/3 e

·
Registered
176 Posts
I can't say that I've ever experienced a squealing sound during my time of ownership, although I have observed that familiar, although slight, whistle from the engine bay when my UP! reaches speeds in excess of 60mph.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, I've noticed a slight whistle above 60, too.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
squealing belt = slipping belt.......get garage to check tension of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i get a whining whistling kind of sound when crusing along, aprox 60mph in 5th if holding speed

is it that kind of sound? currently in dispute with VW customer relations over this

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mine's a faint whistling noise that I only notice at high speed. Barely audible above the radio (which I only ever have on moderate volume). I put it down to the lack of sound insulation around the engine compartment.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
proper squeal is the v-belt, whistle/esp low volume isn't......you would not mistake a slipping belt squeal.....some old cars do it on full lock if they have a hydraulic steering pump that is belt driven....just listen around any city!....(not up!)

·
Registered
176 Posts
If enough people complain, perhaps VW will issue a re-call to rectify the issue.

While they're at it, they (VW) can also install a valve to stop the rear washer from leaking (washer valve), fix the intermittent click upon releasing the clutch (clutch pedal assembly).

Something else I find rather annoying, when reducing from speeds of 60mph and above, due to its lack of soundproofing, is the 'droning' noise that VW have allowed to be transferred into the cabin.

For the sake of an extra £100 on the purchase price of each model, VW have neglected to apply sufficient soundproofing to the engine hood and bulkhead, hence we hear the result of these shortfalls/cost cutting in the cabin.

Edited by: Miserable Git

·
Registered
52 Posts
vw have said the whistling noise is perfectly normal, yet are unable to tell me the cause of the noise or where it comes from??

·
Registered
333 Posts
Hi. Just spray a little WD 40/ on the belts should sort it hope it helps
Regards phill.
Edited by: Bossphillip

·
Registered
198 Posts
shakotanVIP said:
My up! makes a quiet squeal sound at low revs after I've driven through a puddle. I presume it's water getting onto the six belt, but it goes away fairly quickly.
Almost the same here; it doesn't seem it matters how many puddles I drive through, but just whether it's raining.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts