Up Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago I noticed quite a loud 'Squish' noise from the front passenger side of the car when going over bumps (ie raised humps / speedbumps, not potholes).

Any idea what this might be?

I'm thinking strut maybe...

Thanks.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have you tried the classic 'press down on the corner and see if it stops bouncing in 1 cycle' test? If it keeps bouncing, or the passenger side is behaving differently from the driver's side, something's definitely gone awry with the suspension. Also, any sign of oil/fluid leaking down the shock absorber?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@plancast - I'll go and try that (Bounce test) now. My brother said he'd help me look at the suspension once the weather's a bit drier here (Rain forecast for most of the coming week). Need to get the wheel off probably. Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: having gone over a few speedbumps today, I'd now say it's more of a 'Squeak'. Plan on taking the wheel off if necessary once the weather improves a bit.

·
Registered
205 Posts
If it's a 'squeak', rather than a 'squish', that may just be the natural way of the system, especially in cold/damp weather - mine's done that quite a bit since winter set in, but it's been in for its annual service and the suspension was deemed healthy. Could you remind us what type of Up! you have and what year? Still absolutely worth getting the wheel off (plus or minus your brother) and seeing if there's anything obviously amiss, however.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@plancast It's a 2013 Move Up! 3 door. (Need to put that on my bio). It's not a huge deal really. Just slightly annoying. As long as there's nothing wrong / loose, I'll live with it till it sees the mechanic in April for the annual service & MOT.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Much appreciated - so a little older than mine, but the same variety (especially in terms of suspension). Sounds like a good plan; if it's not leaking, there's no clear difference in bounce response between the two sides and no damage to your tyres (another sign that the suspension is going), it can certainly hang on 'til April (cue many jokes about nesting mice in the wheelwell, however...).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@plancast Yes it's getting on a bit I suppose. I like as much as any car I've had before though — plan on getting another one once this is past it. I'll get the wheel off when I can & take a look. (Had thought about KwikFit but I had a bad experience last time I took it there…)

·
Registered
205 Posts
No worries - keep us posted if you find anything interesting/suprising (perhaps even non-rhetorical nesting mice?) when you can take a look and save garages for the next step. They are good, sturdy little cars; yes, with some 'special' quirks, but generally they just get on with it, which is what most of us need out of our daily rides!

·
Registered
205 Posts
No worries - keep us posted if you find anything interesting/suprising (perhaps even non-rhetorical nesting mice?) when you can take a look and save garages for the next step. They are good, sturdy little cars; yes, with some 'special' quirks, but generally they just get on with it, which is what most of us need out of our daily rides!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Good old technology - claiming it couldn't upload and then posting it twice!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts