Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Starting and stopping the system does not always work.
on a cold day -2 - 0 degrees run 4-5 miles I have seat heating rear window and blowing the start and stop does not work I stop and go into a store 30 minutes and run back now does it???????? ????
sincerely,
Kjeld jensen

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe the engine needs to be at a set temperature before the system starts working. Another thing I have noticed in mine is that if you release the clutch close to the moment that you put it on neutral, the start/stop won't work for safety of stalling the engine. There has to be a pause between the two moves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Some stop and go systems are based on battery charge so if you've used a lot of power.... heated rear window/seats etc it might turn off, then the battery regains charge whilst you go shopping so it works again?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine doesn't fail to work unless less than 200 yards has been traveled ,even cold days it works perfect.
I don't Understand how so many have reported failings in there stop start systems

·
Registered
467 Posts
Start stop works if:
- driver seat belt is fastened
- battery is well charged
- engine is in work temperature

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've posted before about a prob with my stop/start system so I'm very interested in your experiences. Has anyone else ever had a warning buzzer sound and the stop/start on/off light flash continuously? VW say no one else has had this so I'm just checking. The manual says if this happens take it to a technician, so I did and they have so far replaced a faulty brake booster sensor (no fix) and completely rewired the car (still not fixed). THe length of time the engine stays off before restart at traffic lights seems kind of random to me, but since the winter began it has always restarted before lights have changed, and in addition, I drove 120 miles the other night and it wasn't that cold, but the stop/start didn't operate at all at the end of the journey, so when I was parked I turned the headlights off and tried again and it worked. I would have expected the battery to have an adequate charge after that long a journey, even with lights on, but maybe I'm expecting too much. For those interested here is a full set of conditions from the excellent Citigo manual:

Conditions for the automatic engine shut down (stop phase)
The gearshift lever is in Neutral.
The clutch pedal is not pressed.
The driver has fastened the seat belt.
The driver's door is closed.
The bonnet is closed.
The vehicle is at a standstill.
The engine is at operating temperature.
The charge state of the vehicle battery is sufficient.
The stationary vehicle is not on a steep slope or a steep downhill section.
The engine speed is less than 1200 1/min.
The temperature of the vehicle battery is not too low or too high.
There is sufficient pressure in the braking system.
The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is
not too great.
The vehicle speed since the last time the engine was switched off was greater
than 3 km/h.
The front wheels are not turned excessively (the steering angle is less than 3/4
of a steering wheel revolution).
Conditions for an automatic restart (start phase)
The clutch is pressed.
The max./min. temperature is set.
The Defrost function for the windshield is switched on.
A high blower stage has been selected.
The START STOP button is pressed.
Conditions for an automatic restart without driver intervention
The vehicle moves at a speed of more than 3 km/h.
The difference between the outdoor- and the set temperature in the interior is
too great.
The charge state of the vehicle battery is not sufficient.
There is insufficient pressure in the braking system.
WARNING
The brake servo unit and power steering only operate if the engine is running.
—� Never let the vehicle roll with the engine switched off.
CAUTION
If the START-STOP system is used at very high outside temperatures over a very
long period of time, the vehicle battery can be damaged.
Note
—� Changes to the outdoor temperature can have an effect on the internal temperature
of the vehicle battery even after several hours. If the vehicle remains
outdoors for a long time in minus temperatures or in direct sunlight, it can take
several hours until the internal temperature of the vehicle battery reaches a suitable
temperature for proper operation of the START STOP system.
—� In some instances it may be necessary to start the engine manually with the
ignition key (e.g. when the seat belt is not inserted or the driver's door is opened
for more than 30 seconds). �

·
Registered
532 Posts
Mine's fine, the "logic" seems to be working well.

·
Registered
525 Posts
ducatikid said:
So, if you drive to work, say, early morning, lights on, radio on, how long can you wait at traffic lights before the engine restarts itself? Thing is, these cars are meant to have a better battery to cope with running the stop/start and I'm wondering if mine is working right even when the buzzer/light thing doesn't happen.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Mine has never restarted be itself, I did not even relise it could do that, as for the time it takes before I can use stop/start 6am i leave for work so it is cold, I can use system within A few hundred yards.

·
Registered
532 Posts
yapmaul said:
ducatikid said:
So, if you drive to work, say, early morning, lights on, radio on, how long can you wait at traffic lights before the engine restarts itself? Thing is, these cars are meant to have a better battery to cope with running the stop/start and I'm wondering if mine is working right even when the buzzer/light thing doesn't happen.

I've never heard my car start of it's own accord. I have had it not stop in the morning depending on temperatuure etc.

Sorry I can't help with the more subtle logic.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mine works fine,
Engine stops when clutch is lifted. And starts again when clutch is pressed.
Engine will restart when battery gets low.

Also engine won't start if I take my seat belt off or do any of the things above.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had an odd one yesterday. After quite a run on the motorway, the stop start stopped working? The usual performance today.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My Bluemotion system looks like it has a heavy duty battery (twice the size I would have expected).
a) Is the starter motor also heavy duty?
b) Has extra cost of these items, both initially and when replacement time comes, been factored in to the overall savings on mpg - or is the better mpg (got an indicated 62 mpg yesterday - but over first 2600 miles actual is 49 and indicated is 53) at the expense of these extra on-costs?
Can our valued Forum member 'experts' throw any light on this? Thank you!

·
Registered
397 Posts
ducatikid said:
I had an odd one yesterday. After quite a run on the motorway, the stop start stopped working? The usual performance today.
And so did I have an odd one yesterday!
Gave my mate Pete a lift (he's the guy who bought my Company car Rover 600 off me. Rover finally died recently, 19 years old (N898 JVT) and 150,000 miles on clock; two bent doors; only two windows working). Anyway, back to the point.

Was demonstrating the car's features, and this is what happened:

Stopped outside his house.
Handbrake on; gears in neutral; clutch released. BlueMotion performs correctly, Engine stops.
Sit there demonstrating M&M.
Press: 'Take Me Home'
Voice "Do you want to ..."
Press the chosen route
M&M calculates route ...AND engine STARTS!

As I was not ready to drive off, I was sitting there with both my feet tucked well away from the brake and clutch. So I definitely did NOT touch anything!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Likely coincidence.
The BMT will restart the engine to top up the the battery .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts