Up Owners Club banner

Start Stop Error Message and Key Not Detected in Vehicle

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sunflowerdeb 
#1 ·
Hi there.

I have a 2018 VW UP Beats with 17K on the clock.

For the last couple of days, I have been having trouble starting the car. I depress the clutch and turn the key, but nothing at all happens. Then a message comes up saying 'Key Not Detected in Vehicle.'

After several attempts, the car eventually starts but then on three occasions has cut out and died after a few seconds with a message flashing up saying 'Stop Start Error.'

I have changed the battery in the key so it is not that. I am assuming it is not the car battery either as the engine either doesn't attempt to start at all or is absolutely fine.

Any thoughts as to what it could be would be greatly appreciated, before I approach VW?! Also, is there any possibility the engine could die while I am driving it?!:eek:

#2 ·
Hi @sunflowerdeb
As you've changed the key battery (which was my first thought), my suspicion is that your onboard computer has become confused - either the car battery is weaker than you think and the computer can't always send/interpret the key ID signals correctly, or somehow the computer's forgotten what the correct response is, triggering the ignition interlock (which then confuses the start/stop system). Someone else had a very similar problem about a year ago; I believe the solution was to take it into a VW garage and have the key/computer recoded.
A few other thoughts: Does the car start properly if you use the spare (non-electronic) key, or do you see the same thing? Has your driving pattern changed during lockdown (did it spend a long time sitting stationary)? Are you mostly doing short drives or long ones (this will affect the car's ability to recharge the battery; start/stop batteries are bigger, so take longer to re-fill)?

#3 ·
Hi @sunflowerdeb
As you've changed the key battery (which was my first thought), my suspicion is that your onboard computer has become confused - either the car battery is weaker than you think and the computer can't always send/interpret the key ID signals correctly, or somehow the computer's forgotten what the correct response is, triggering the ignition interlock (which then confuses the start/stop system). Someone else had a very similar problem about a year ago; I believe the solution was to take it into a VW garage and have the key/computer recoded.
A few other thoughts: Does the car start properly if you use the spare (non-electronic) key, or do you see the same thing? Has your driving pattern changed during lockdown (did it spend a long time sitting stationary)? Are you mostly doing short drives or long ones (this will affect the car's ability to recharge the battery; start/stop batteries are bigger, so take longer to re-fill)?
Hi - thank you so much for your very detailed reply!
The problem is the same with the spare key unfortunately which incidentally is a proper key, identical to the master key. I suppose I am driving my car slightly less during lock-down, but it doesn't stand still for too long. When I do drive, my trips are usually between 15 and 30 mile round trips, two or three times a week. I have noticed that this problem is worse when the engine is cold or cool. I will take the battery out and charge it right up and see if that makes any difference.
Many thanks once again, I really appreciate it!

#4 ·
I'd be surprised if the car would ever start if somehow the coding had got "lost".
It's always worth disconnecting and reconnecting the battery for strange, intermittent faults, as this soft-resets the ECU. It's akin to rebooting your PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.