Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i have a move up with bluemotion on order currently "in transit" can anyone explain in their experience what its like driving with the stop start thingy -any things to look out for/ be aware of etc cheers

·
Registered
265 Posts
manual gearbox?so long as you dont put it into neutral and depress the clutch at every red light it wont bother you any.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Only engage it if you think you are going to be stood still for 4-5 seconds, so no good in traffic, mine works perfectly but there are 1 or 2 in here who have had problems, check previous threads

·
Registered
532 Posts
Persist with it and you get used to it turning the engine off. I've never beenembarrassedwith no power when I needed it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I've had a few problems with mine, but it all seems to be sorted now, touch wood. If, like me, you were taught to put the handbrake on and gear lever in neutral whenever you stop in traffic then you will experience the stop/start system in action. The moment you depress the clutch again the engine restarts. It does this easily fast enough for you to move off quickly. If on the other hand you are like many people today and keep your feet on brake and clutch while waiting you may never see it in action and won't increase fuel economy by up to 6mpg. It's worth knowing that behind the scenes the Up is full of very sophisticated electronics and sensors, and these feed info to the stop/start system. You can get a lot of info about the system from the Skoda Citigo manual which you can download. It is MUCH better than the Up! manual. A google search will find it.

Even if you never use the stop/start, the BMT saves the road tax and the congestion charge so I reckon it's worth it. There's one other thing it does. When you first start the engine you don't have to keep the key turned until the engine starts. You can release the key and it turns over automatically until it starts. I thought all ups did this until I had a non-BMT one as a courtesy car and discovered it didn't.

Hope you enjoy your Up when it arrives. They're great little cars!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wish I'd have had a standard Move Up and spent the extra on the senser pack. I now know VW blue motion (I've driven Golf blue motion & Jetta blue motion) is an absolute con. I'm surprised there isn't more threads on this subject.

·
Registered
604 Posts
@yapmoul
I do not have a problem engaging stop start when my foot is on the brake I do it all the time, never fails

·
Registered
525 Posts
spud said:
@yapmoul
I do not have a problem engaging stop start when my foot is on the brake I do it all the time, never fails
Yes, you're right of course. It's gear in neutral plus clutch out that does it. What I meant was that older drivers like me tend to put gear in neutral when stopped rather than leaving in gear with clutch in and foot on brake. My partner almost never puts the car in neutral - only at the end of a trip, and thus never experiences the joys of stop/start! If I think I'll only be stopped for a couple of seconds I keep the car in gear. Easier than switching system off.

@gary02tdi cold affects the system in other ways too. If the internal temp of the battery has been below freezing for a while it can take many hours before the system will operate at all.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
I wish I'd have had a standard Move Up and spent the extra on the senser pack. I now know VW blue motion (I've driven Golf blue motion & Jetta blue motion) is an absolute con. I'm surprised there isn't more threads on this subject.
What is it you don't like about it? I did have a problem with mine but that was a one off and otherwise I'm quite happy with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It works fine no issues with that, just in hind sight was wrong choice for me and i would have got more use from the sensor pack (cruise, trip & rear park sensors) for about same price. Mpg seems no better than the none BMT UPs dedpite VW's claims and I don't live in a City where congestion prices apply. Also as I said previousley, I'm convinced the whole VW blue motion has no real advantages for the customer, I think people assume they are more economical but having driven 3 blue motion cars across the range I'm not convinced, maybe they are more environmentally friendly if the claimed lower emissions are correct but of no financial benefit to the customer long term. Just my opinion based on using 3 of these cars and comparing with standard VW's.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I don't have it on mine, but I did have the same thing on the last couple of mini's I had. If you only ever do short trips it never really kicks in, that gets more noticeable as the battery gets older too. Always started very fast when it did work tho.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have to admit, similar thoughts had crossed my mind. I think you probably do get improved mpg, but not as much as vw would like you to think, and given that I do a lot of long journeys the cruise control might well have improved my fuel economy. I think the salesman could have sold it to me if he'd really known the car properly, but I saw 'sensor pack' and didn't realise you got the cruise control and computer too. Also, given the suspicion many seem to have of the BMT, I'm guessing that the sensor pack might do more for the resale value in a few years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts