Up Owners Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced starting problems? I have an intermittent problem as follows; Sometimes there is a 1 or 2 second delay between turning the key and the engine starting. At other times, when you turn the key, the warning lights come on, the fuel pump primes but the engine doesn't turn. Removing key and trying again, often several times doesn't help. Have tried combinations of pressing clutch and brake pedal and locking/unlocking car to no avail. After a short delay, car then reverts to normal behaviour. Dealer can't replicate problem but reoccurred on way home from garage. Suspect related to start/stop system. Any advice appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1,495 Posts
Davec03 said:
Has anyone experienced starting problems? I have an intermittent problem as follows; Sometimes there is a 1 or 2 second delay between turning the key and the engine starting. At other times, when you turn the key, the warning lights come on, the fuel pump primes but the engine doesn't turn. Removing key and trying again, often several times doesn't help. Have tried combinations of pressing clutch and brake pedal and locking/unlocking car to no avail. After a short delay, car then reverts to normal behaviour. Dealer can't replicate problem but reoccurred on way home from garage. Suspect related to start/stop system. Any advice appreciated.

It's a new car and it's under warranty, take it back to your dealership and tell them to keep the car until it's fixed.

Nobody on here is going to be more trained/familiar with the car than a VW technician.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response, and yes it will be going back to the dealer, despite them claiming there is nothing wrong.

However, in the meantime I was hoping someone else may have had a similar experience which had been fixed and I could then go back to the dealer armed with more information. It's the fact that it is intermittent which is so frustrating.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It's Sod's law Dave. I have had things like that in other cars and when it goes to the workshop the fault never materialises. Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
957 Posts
No two ways about it if you turn the key and the engines doesn't turn then there's a fault even if it is intermittent.

I hope they sort things out for you !

It would be helpful if someone on the forum had the same problem and a reason for it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My wife had this yesterday. That long with the maps and more having a mind of its own.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the posts. I think I have now identified the problem. It appears to be related to the clutch pedal sensor. It appears that it doesn't always recognise the clutch is fully depressed, preventing the engine from starting.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ive had starting issues but I think thats because I didn't turn the key enough, it started and then cut out straight away. It only happened once so I'm not worried.

Why do you have to depress the clutch to start? On my up I don't have to. Is it a bluemotion thing?

I hope you get it sorted though, there is nothing worse than having an intermittent fault that the dealer refuses to believe exists.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, yes, I think it is related to the bluemotion feature. In a traffic queue, as soon as you put it in neutral and take your foot of the clutch, the engine stops. Depressing the clutch then restarts the engine. The start/stop works very well but sometimes as soon as the engine stops, the lights turn green so you have to restart immediately!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just be sure to depress the clutch fully, before turning the key in the ignition and it should start.

As a former owner of a blue motion/efficiency vehicle, ensure the clutch is fully depressed before turning the key, since I've turned the key before engaging the clutch on many occasion, only for the engine not to start.

Again, if the vehicle has been diagnosed with a clutch sensor pedal fault, I'd hope that the issue has since been rectified.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply. Problem now solved. As you say, clutch needs to be fully depressed before engine will start. If clutch is even slightly off the bulkhead, it doesn't start. Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
i have this problem too, sometimes I press the clutch, turn the key and nothing happens... do I need to push the clutch right down and before I put the key in?

it's only intermittent, hopefully it's just something I'm not doing right on occasion... seems strange though

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think this applies to BulueMotion versions of the up! only

The clutch needs to be fully pressed just before you turn the key (not before you put the key in the ignition)

Dave

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Yeah... Just blue motion... Normal up clutch doesn't matter for starting... Certainly not older ones...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts