Up Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my up since March and so far I have had a problem with the steering, it will pull sharply to one side when driving, happens very ocationally and there is no way of predicting when it will happen, I took it to the garage and they said my car was fine! Is anyone else having this problem???

I have also noticed that when I pull away I hear water sloshing about, it sounds like the fuel tank, could it be this or not?? Is this anything to be concerned about?? And is anyone else having this problem to?? P

·
Registered
851 Posts
Beckii_May said:
I have had my up since March and so far I have had a problem with the steering, it will pull sharply to one side when driving, happens very ocationally and there is no way of predicting when it will happen, I took it to the garage and they said my car was fine! Is anyone else having this problem???

I have also noticed that when I pull away I hear water sloshing about, it sounds like the fuel tank, could it be this or not?? Is this anything to be concerned about?? And is anyone else having this problem to?? P
It seems early ups (MY12) have the steering problem. Most people who have had the problem have also said they park with the wheels turned. Does any of this apply to you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah my up was one of the first 45 released so was an early one. I park with the wheels turned ocationally but most of the time the wheels are straight when parked. Is there anything that can be done about the steering problem??

·
Registered
532 Posts
My steering is great (Mid october car). This implies the problem if it existed only in early cars can be fixed and that a replacement part may be available.

Surely if the steering pulls to one side this is a serious recall fault. I would have a look on the interweb regarding how to complain about such potential problems. Department for transport may assist.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The steering isn't like it all the time it will just suddenly happen and then pull is quite sharpe and can be quite dangerous. VW said they cannot fix it as the problem wasn't present when the vehicle went into the garage, so they plugged it in and it was fine. I just wanted to see if anyone else had this steering problem and if so what they have done?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I wouldn't settle for that, go back in and tell them the car is not safe, and that they will sort it.
If they don't, take it to VW AG HQ, that fails, the press. That's an issue that needs to be sorted as, worse case scenario, it could prove fatal.

·
Registered
851 Posts
In the meantime, try always parking it with the wheels straight. If you are parked on a slope just leave it in first gear - irrespective of the slope direction. A car engine has so much friction when not running that if your handbrake cable snapped then the engine will hold the car. Probably the only time having the wheels turned is advisable is if you have broken down on the motorway to ensure a shunt pushes the car off the carriageway and not into other traffic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Beckii_May said:

This forum is rather messy now, and one of the reasons is that every newbie starts a new topic instead of looking round and finding the relevant topic.

Your questions have been already discussed here:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/steering-pulling_topic1289.html
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/petrol-swooshing-noise_topic2143.html
Have a good reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts