Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new UP 2 months ago, since new it will intermittently pull to the left, the steering goes lighter and there is a definite pull to the left.

The only thing that resolves it is to switch the car off and restart it. It is as if the electronic power steering is switching on when it shouldnt.

It has been back to the dealers and as it did not happen to them when they test drove it they are not helpfull. The problem is you can go 2 or 3 days without it happening but then it may do several times within an hour.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everywhere, it is not the brakes or the camber in the road. It is switching on and off like an electrical fault.

D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi
I'm unsure about the steering also, although with different symptoms. Occasionally, when first starting up, the steering seems heavy and won't centre when coming out of a corner. Seems to last only the first couple of corners and then seems fine. Has been looked at by the dealer, of course didn't happen in their hands. However, they have logged a report with VW in case a pattern emerges, apparently VW are keen to catch any snags with a new model, hopefully your dealer has done the same.

They suggested it was the speed sensitive assistance, I was not convinced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well I know it may sound obvious, but have you ensured your tyre pressures are all correct and equal?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, tyre pressures fine. It isnt a mechanical fault, The pulling switches on and off instantly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This sounds as if the speed sensitive power assistance playing up, is it pulling to the left when going around a left hand bend, and equally has it ever gone light and pulled to the right when going round a right hand bend?

also just to clarify, where do you rest your hands when driving, i.e. do you have one hand on the steering wheel and which one is it??

Sam ( VAG Engineer )

·
Registered
432 Posts
Welcome, davidwd.
Sorry to hear about that. I think your diagnosis is correct. I think VW should take the car back for a detailed analysis.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Fiat Seicento with the Abarth kit. All of a sudden the steering would weight-up dramatically, which was mightily disconcerting when you're going around a bend and the wheel won't move properly. I don't remember how it was fixed, or whether it went away of its own accord, as I did mention it to the garage and they investigated.

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Collas said:
I had a similar problem on my Fiat Seicento with the Abarth kit. All of a sudden the steering would weight-up dramatically,

Typical speedrelatedelectromechanicalsteering problems, some times it can bemerelydue to anelectricalconnection, has been known to go either be light / heavy all the time, or not revert to normal until ignition is switched off and on again,

Davidwd - I would highly advise you to drive your car straight to your VW dealers and have them look at it ASAP, as although it may be intermittent now, the problem could persist and cause dangerous handlingcharacteristics

Edited by: S3N VW

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Another thing to try also, although I obviously agree with Sam is to go to a car park and whilst driving very slowly do a full lock to the right, then a full lock to the left and then back to the centre.

Just see if you feel any inconsistency. If it feels normal, then it is probably to do with the speed sensitivity sensors. If it's inconsistent, then could be the steering motor or steering torque sensor.

Please let us know what happens...

If it is a sensor, it should have put up an error code in the steering controller.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your EPAS has gone. Park it on the service desk at the dealer and make them change it. It will get worse and it is dangerous.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
is there an update to this problem?

The wife has a Citigo with the same problem and Skoda say there is no fault code stored, i don't think they have a clue what to do because they've had it over a week now.

thanks
Glen

·
Registered
55 Posts
Might be related to a problem they had on vauxhall corsas a while ago. They were changing columns because of it. If it is the same type of system (electrically assisted column), themost likely issue is the torque sensorwithin the column -lost its position, either due to the screws working loose or becausethe control moduleneedsre-learningwith the straight ahead position, i.e. was not programmed / set up correctly in the first place.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's an update on my steering problem.

Skoda have now had my car over 4 weeks.

We
got a call from them on Tuesday to say that my car had been hooked up
to the Skoda factory all weekend running all sorts of diagnostics on it.

They have now said they have found a fault and are replacing a part.

I'm not sure what part they're replacing, but it's the steering's ECU.

So that's good news. However, the bad news is the part is on back order and they have no idea when we'll be getting it.

I'll update when I know more.

Cheers

Vicky

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
well done on them finding it...to speed it up, say you will accept a phaeton as a courtesy car til it arrives!

·
Registered
705 Posts
And a free petrol tanker to help slake its thirst.

Nick

1 - 20 of 156 Posts