Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered how many other GTIs you guys have seen on the road? To date, I have seen one - in Edinburgh and I put a spotted post on here but with no reply.

I actually forget that what I am driving is still a rare sight on the roads!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Not one, nor another honey yellow tbh either.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Two since February, a white 3 door in Corbridge and a red 5 door on the M62.

I’ve encountered quite a lot of aggression whilst out in mine, mainly people driving far too close behind me. Mind you I’ve had fun on a few occasions demonstrating to young lads in lowly powered 1-Series that the GTI isn’t that slow!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Really? I haven't seen any of that so far. I've caught a few people looking in traffic, had one guy give me a thumbs up from a Ford Mustang and had a long chat with the owner of a 75bhp Move up!

howmanyleft.co.uk says 328 registered but I'm not sure how often that's updated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've only seen one, when I was on the top deck of a bus in Lowestoft! Might have been a mirage. Especially as I can't now remember what colour it was.

I looked on the DVLA website for numbers on the road. (Previously posted) That was updated quarterly. Howmanyleft take their data from this - which works great for its purpose of tracking long discontinued models.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I’ve encountered quite a lot of aggression whilst out in mine, mainly people driving far too close behind me.
That's interesting, I was beginning to think I was imagining it. I've only had mine a few days but it seems to be a magnet for young idiots in poxy little hatchbacks wanting to show off. I never got this in the Porsche.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's interesting, I was beginning to think I was imagining it. I've only had mine a few days but it seems to be a magnet for young idiots in poxy little hatchbacks wanting to show off. I never got this in the Porsche.
When I had my early Impreza,s it was the default, mainly young guys in various cars, about one micron from rear bumper, got used to it, some were just curious and wanted to see what back then was an unusual and rare car...
I took it as an odd compliment.

When I were a lad... haha..if I saw another FS1e Yamaha or Suzuki AP50 I would ‘tail’ them and being young and dumb try an overtake, but always in good spirit. Usually we all hung around in the same cafes, and would talk nonsense about the latest expansion chamber exhaust or reed valve modifications... or the dream of doing 60mph.

Sorry I’m rambling on like the old fart I am!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Weird isn't it. Perhaps it's a symptom of driving a small car, but I've certainly never noticed it before. I had a black Corsa sit right on my rear for three miles yesterday in heavy traffic, and only lost him when it opened up to an uphill dual carriageway. I can't recall noticing this sort of stuff in any other car.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So pretty rare for the time being then it seems. Regarding other drivers, I’ve enjoyed surprising some bmw/merc drivers on a local country road which is fun. I think a lot of other drivers must be surprised at the shove the little GTI has - I remain impressed with the readily available torque on the motorway under 80mph. What pleases me more is that when I’m alone, I can drive at hard and the fuel tank barely moves. When I did this in the Golf R, it was the complete opposite which is another reason I love the Up.

That said, I doubt it will ever happen but I would love a more hardcore example in a couple of years!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've seen two since I got mine. One Silver one on the M25 by J12 and a lady in Wimbledon passed by me in a white one on my way to work. Not bad in nearly nine months.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ordered 9th February and had it nearly three months but apart from the demonstrator at the dealership I still haven't seen another on the road and I do 55 miles a day.

1 - 20 of 219 Posts