Up Owners Club banner

221 - 237 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
I spotted a white UP Gti coming down Craig side on to the prom in Llandudno today on a local CY plate thought it might of been the legend that is Llandudnoboy but it had been raining so couldn’t of been him lol.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Chased an all white 19 plate GTI headed north on the A1 yesterday (Sun 19th) and got a nice wave as you turned off somewhere before the M18. Alleviated some of the boredom, so thanks!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’ve never seen another GTI either, on seeing one most peoples reaction (including my friends) being ‘oh!, I didn’t know they did an up! GTI’.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The first one i noticed was last year in White coming out of a side road in Wilmslow. Then some time later there were two both at classic car shows one in silver and one in red. Then the white one i test drove and now my car in red.
I have never seen one on the road in my town Manchester,unlike the Mini when sometimes i am sure every other car on the road is a Mini. Tescos car park looks like a MIni dealers car park.
Of course some would say you see loads of Minis because they are so good and you dont see any UP GTIs because they are no good. Thank goodness we know better.
Let the sheep stick to their Minis. We know which is the best car and we love our exclusive UP GTIs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The first one i noticed was last year in White coming out of a side road in Wilmslow. Then some time later there were two both at classic car shows one in silver and one in red. Then the white one i test drove and now my car in red.
I have never seen one on the road in my town Manchester,unlike the Mini when sometimes i am sure every other car on the road is a Mini. Tescos car park looks like a MIni dealers car park.
Of course some would say you see loads of Minis because they are so good and you dont see any UP GTIs because they are no good. Thank goodness we know better.
Let the sheep stick to their Minis. We know which is the best car and we love our exclusive UP GTIs.
Yes, Mini’s are a very common sight, we seem to have a certain exclusivity partly due to VW suspending and then resuming orders.
I’m not a million miles from the Mini factory either so used to see transporter load after transporter load on the A34 although I think many are shipped to the docks by rail now. Also used to see camo’d up test mules around sometimes alone or in a little train of 3.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you see the programme on the tv some time ago ASH from the Mini factory with James May showing how the car is made? It was very good.
I must admit i was tempted to be one of the sheep and test drove a few Mini Coopers. They drove well but i thought they were too expensive like for like year for year compared to the UP GTI or even the Aygo.
I am happy i went for the UP GTI. It looks good,drives nice and smooth,goes like a rocket ship when you put your foot down,gets good MPG and has nice features such as heated seats and cruise control.Its a great car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you see the programme on the tv some time ago ASH from the Mini factory with James May showing how the car is made? It was very good.
I must admit i was tempted to be one of the sheep and test drove a few Mini Coopers. They drove well but i thought they were too expensive like for like year for year compared to the UP GTI or even the Aygo.
I am happy i went for the UP GTI. It looks good,drives nice and smooth,goes like a rocket ship when you put your foot down,gets good MPG and has nice features such as heated seats and cruise control.Its a great car.
I’ve done about 150 miles in a Mini Cooper, predictably they drive like a mini BMW, from my viewpoint it was let down by the ride (even though it had the runflats deleted) and the seats were too firm compounding the semi-stiff ride. Went ok, was well built and had a nice chunky feel.

For the money the up! GTI is simpler but more engaging and because of that you feel more connected to it. The Mini is really in a bigger class and is a small medium car rather than a city car. Bigger the car the more detached you become.

For the money VW managed to create a little car that drives like a bigger one but by keeping the weight down retain the nimble characteristics of a smaller car, the Mini drives like a medium sized car and has the characteristics of one as well.

Mini’s are very much the trendy car, a bit like a 500 they are kind of a fashion accessory. Unlike the Mini the 500 is awful quality and an old design to boot, 12 years old based on a platform that is 17 years old. The up! is better, less trendy, less of a fashion accessory, less form more function.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only ones I’ve seen in the flesh are the one I rest drove at the weekend, and then the one I bought.

I like the rarity value!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Amazingly i have seen two this week. The first was a Red one coming towards me on the road. We waved to each other. It took me back to the days of my MGB,and Spitfire when all drivers of these cars waved. Even the Smart in the early days when they were new,drivers waved,but people stopped waving when the cars became more mainstream.

The next UP GTI i noticed was in a car park. The car was in Black and parked with no driver in the car. Wow the UP GTI is getting too popular. We cant have that can we. I want my car to stay exclusive and rare.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The first was a Red one coming towards me on the road. We waved to each other. It took me back to the days of my MGB, and Spitfire when all drivers of these cars waved.

Wow the UP GTI is getting too popular. We cant have that can we. I want my car to stay exclusive and rare.
Sorry - I’ve diluted the rarity that bit more today. 😂

On the waving to owners front - I hope so. That is something we Lotus owners have always, and will always, continue to do. 👍🏻

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw 2 in 3 years around Suffolk pre ownership and now 3 since owning one from May this year 🙈

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Saw a red 19 plate 3dr earlier in Uddingston. That makes a grand total of 4 sightings of an Up GTI on the road since I started this thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is true the UP GTI is a rare car but i have noticed all makes of VAG cars seem to be very popular. Polo, Golf, Audi, Seat,Skoda,You see loads on the road,even a few Bentleys and Lambos.
I did not take much notice in the past but since i bought my VW i notice them more and more.

221 - 237 of 237 Posts