Up Owners Club banner

161 - 180 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Other than a red one 5 mins from me, I still haven’t seen any others in Glasgow, other than the couple I’ve previously identified on here. The rarity is the biggest attraction for me. I can’t believe I’m loving the car so much, given the many other more powerful and all round sportier cars I’ve owned. Can’t see me parting with it any time soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A brilliant weekend was had by all Darren. The Gti,s performed well.... great fun to drive and the steep gradients tackled with ease. Hopefully another run out is not far away for us and maybe we will see another Gti next time.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
I drive up to Glasgow every couple of months, I haven't seen you....

?. ?
My commute is short at present but I’m taking up a new post in a couple of weeks which will see me travelling 40 minutes to work each way so I may well see more out and about myself.

·
Banned
645 Posts
That really surprises me.
I was born in Cardiff 57years ago, and with a Welsh population of just over 3.1million, with 2.6million of them residing in the southern half of the country, I would have thought there would have been a few more than two driving around.

There's Capital Motors in Merthyr, Sinclair in both Cardiff, Swansea and Neyland, and you've only seen two.

Wow, this Up Gti is rarer in Wales than I thought possible.
I've seen three here on the roads of North Wales, so it's quite possible total sales of the car here in Wales might be in single figures.

That seems unlikely, bout it's been some weeks now since I've cast my eyes on a High Up TSi, let alone a much rarer Gti model

·
Banned
645 Posts
Just returned from a weeks long trip to Oban and Mull, on the west coast of Scotland.
During my long journey up North to Gretna Green, and Glasgow, and on towards Oban, i kept a lengthy look out for this elusive Up Gti.
Of the simply thousands of cars that must have passed the coach window up the motorway north, i never spotted a single Up Gti.

Quite a few Skoda CityGo and Ups did pass the coach, but if i was going to see a Gti on my travels, this would be the journey to do it on, but not a single car to be seen.

Its hellish rare.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Met an owner on the weekend, ironically I was in the Jimny.

·
Banned
645 Posts
Just watched a Jay lenos Garage episode.
He might have been describing the Up Gti in his statement.

There are cars that are fast, and then there are cars that make you feel your going fast.

Thats how i feel when driving my Gti.

It seems quick, but you look at the speedo, and your only doing 50.

How long will it be, that every allocated Up gti for the Uk market, will find itself a new owner.

Those still contemplating buying a new car, with delivery mileage, should act pretty quickly, theres still a few around, but as the car is such a rarity, once the cars are sold, getting a delivery mileage new car, will be impossible.

·
Registered
45 Posts
VW customer service have replied to my query over whether the GTI will be back on sale again ....... sort of!!

They stated that the Up ‘facelift’ will return in first quarter of 2020! No specific mention of GTI though.

After the 4 day wait for a response I can’t be bothered trying to request the answer to my actual question!

Hope the GTI doesn’t come back.

It will prob be back with more power and a few packs as standard - lol oh and with rear discs and touch screen with Apple car play ???

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm not sure why you think customer services would even know the answer to that question...

·
Registered
97 Posts
VW customer service have replied to my query over whether the GTI will be back on sale again ....... sort of!!

They stated that the Up ‘facelift’ will return in first quarter of 2020! No specific mention of GTI though.

After the 4 day wait for a response I can’t be bothered trying to request the answer to my actual question!

Hope the GTI doesn’t come back.

It will prob be back with more power and a few packs as standard - lol oh and with rear discs and touch screen with Apple car play ???
Interesting that the "New UP! GTI" is mentioned on VW's New and Upcoming Cars page of its website, even if the "Find Out More" page is currently unavailable ..... or is it referring to the "old" New UP! GTI?

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new/whats-new-and-coming-soon

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm not sure why you think customer services would even know the answer to

Well I had a query as a customer and thought let’s start with ‘customer service’.

They in fact sent the query on to sales department at UK HQ who provided them with the (not so helpful) reply that they in turn forwarded onto me and subsequently I updated on the forum as I thought it may be of interest to other members.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I wouldn’t believe a word Volkswagen UK Customer Services say. These are the same people who continually lied to numerous members here during the long 9 month wait many of us endured. If I remember correctly they eventually decided that they would no longer provide any information to people who had placed factory orders for cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn’t believe a word Volkswagen UK Customer Services say. These are the same people who continually lied to numerous members here during the long 9 month wait many of us endured. If I remember correctly they eventually decided that they would no longer provide any information to people who had placed factory orders for cars.
Yeah it’s not great!

I’ll be pretty pissed if if there is a new GTI with ‘upgraded interior’ and infotainment system coming out just months after I bought what I thought was a quite limited model car.

I know salesmen are there just to sell cars but many have ‘marketed’ the GTI as such due to it apparently being ‘discontinued’ so soon.

Who’d have thought you can’t trust a salesman ... what is the world coming to!

·
Registered
201 Posts
There's a nice red one in the lower village here - spoke to the owner - he loves it - also has a BMW i-3.

·
Banned
645 Posts
I recon the new generation Vw Up will be an all electric vehicle.
How many months is it now, that the pokey 1 Litre TSI engines were dropped from the Vw range.
With the ever increasing demand for both electric and hybrid vehicles, unfortunately for us petrol heads, the way forward in the automotive industry is electric.

Just look at top German brand, Porsche, they have released an all electric supercar to rival the Tesla.

I just cannot see a return of a Up Gti in its current petrol form.

An all electric Up Gti, would be as exciting as a trip to the dentist.

The reason Vw dropped the GTI and all TSI engines from the Up range, is that the current Up is an ageing car, selling well enough, but not well enough to justify producing the costlier models, like the High UP TSI and the GTi version.

The thing i like most about my Gti, is how rare it is on our roads.

I keep my eyes peeled everytime i go on lengthy journeys, in the hope of seeing another Gti, so i can flash my lights in response to our amazed looks.

Theres so few of them on the roads, that encountering another one, is a major event, one worth celebrating, well it is for me!!!!!!!!!

If the next generation Up, to be released some time next year, proves to be electric only, just imagine the cost of buying one.

The Up Gti was an outrageous bargain for just over £14,000, an electric version no doubt may have a 2 or even a 3 in front of that figure.

No, i recon the discontinued UP Gti, was a short production special, one that we will probably never see again, if the next generation cars are soleless electric things

·
Registered
34 Posts
Seen a black one in Plymouth last week.

So that's three now, two white (including mine) and the latest sighting.

Getting a tad common now.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Blimey - where to start?
Firstly they have made an electric up for as long as the other types - the production line in Slovakia was designed for both.
Secondly, they are on a par with my old maxi-scooter which out-accelerated an Audi TT - so roughly as much poke as that then.(Although HP/Torque is not a straight comparison (electric motors have no torque curve and give 100% from standstill) it has 82HP and 20n/M of torque. If I was mad enough I could waste front tyres in a couple of weeks around her (but I am not). 'Real world performance and range have I suspect been copied/pasted from something else because in 15 months I have bettered both by a fair bit during normal use.
Price? well the are only sold as 5 door and with every extra except big bass boot speaker (and have their own internet) and mine cost just under 20 grand.
They will probably be discontinued as with the e-golf because VW's new range is called ID this or that. The racer has shattered a few records - Pikes Peak and this( https://racer.com/2019/07/06/volkswagen-id-r-smashes-goodwood-hill-record/), but for normal motors there will be tesla looking thang, a leccy camper, a crossover 4x4 etc.
Given that the batteries in my e-up have an 8 year warranty and modern ones last 20-ish years I expect my e-up will join petrol versions in being very rare in a few years.

161 - 180 of 235 Posts