Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened a couple of times now. I start the engine and there is a high-pitched and fairly loud warning buzzer. The stop/start system icon flashes on and off continuously. The car drives normally but when I switch the stop/start off using the switch on the dash and then switch on again the warning sound repeats. After driving to the shop and then restarting the car everything is fine again. As I said, this happened once before and I forgot about it, but now it's happened again I wonder if anyone else has had the same thing? The warning is not polite and tuneful like the lights left on one - it sounds more like the noise my old Polo made once when all the oil suddenly fell out of the engine!

I can't find any reference to this in the manual btw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
s.e.worby said:
I don't know if this helps, but ours hasn't done this at all so far.
Thanks! I was wondering if anyone had noticed this post. I spoke to the service department and they thought it wasn't meant to do it, so I'm just waiting to see if it happens again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
604 Posts
I've not had this ether, keep us informed if you get an answer from vw

And no I had not seen this post until now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Has it still been doing the start/stop at traffic lights while you've gotten the warning?

I remember reading that there would be some sort of warning if the car notices that the amps from the battery go too low and it disabling the start/stop until it has normalized via charging up. Maybe you've left your radio or lights on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ZillUp said:
Has it still been doing the start/stop at traffic lights while you've gotten the warning?

I remember reading that there would be some sort of warning if the car notices that the amps from the battery go too low and it disabling the start/stop until it has normalized via charging up. Maybe you've left your radio or lights on? 
The stop start system is not operational when I have had the warning, and the stop start off icon in the dash display flashes continuously off and on. It seems to stay that way until I stop and restart the engine. If the battery is low or some other condition isn't met then you simply get the stop start off icon lit. I can't find any reference to this warning in the handbook and the vw mechanic I spoke to hadn't come across it. As I said earlier, it hasn't happened recently, touch wood, and if it does ill take it in and get it checked out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all. Here's an update on my stop/start problems. Before I start, please don't think I want to dis the UP! I love mine in spite of everything!. I'm posting so that if the same thing happens to anyone else out there they can maybe save some time and hassle.

The car has now been in four times to get this fixed. Weirdly, although work has been done under warranty the technician at the dealership was still unconvinced by my accounts of the warning buzzer and flashing icon even as late as last week. Very annoying esp as I had videoed the said warning with my phone but then accidentally wiped it. He had never heard or seen it and was obviously a natural skeptic! Even asked if maybe I was hearing the low outside temperature warning gong. I wasn't. The long high-pitched beep is unmistakeable.

So, first time I took it in they diagnosed a faulty brake booster sensor and replaced it but that didn't fix it. Then they completely rewired the car as instructed by VW. Following that it still had the problem, but the computer hadn't logged anything and they were busy trying to fix my brakes (another saga!) so I left it, but the problem persisted. This time they have replaced the brake servo, again as instructed by VW. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I never hear that high-pitched beep again.

Here's a link to where I have posted about this elsewhere with a list of conditions for stop/start operation from the Citigo manual:
http://www.upownersclub.co.uk/forum/start-and-stop_topic2698_page1.html?KW=stop%2Fstart





Edited by: yapmaul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Thanks for your insightful post.
I can confirm I have had same issue as you.
I too love my up, but I am worried about it
I just bought mine 2 days ago and this problem happened to me almost instantly.
I had just left dealer when I heard high pitch bleep and flashing warning "A" sign on the dash. So I thought ill give it 24 hours... sure enough next day it had gone and my stop/start worked, but not perfectly - it restarted engine automatically without me depressing clutch.
Then the dreaded warning noise and sign returned -
How long did your car go away for?
It sounds silly but dont wanna part from my car so quickly haha

Again thanks for your post.
I may take a video of problem like you in case they dont believe me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
In the colder weather maybe 1-2 degrees when i was driving to work and lets say i was slowing up at the lights, just before i stopped maybe 5-6 mph the buzzer and warning light would beep and flash at me and i wouldn't let me use stop start for the rest of that journey. it has now stopped doing that and picked up an even more worrying habit. when i would come home from work i'd stop the car outside the garage and use to stop start whilst i opened the garage door then jump back in and proceed to park the car, but when i would get back in the car and press the clutch pedal down to start the car again it wouldn't restart it so i have to turn off the car completely and restart it to carry on parking, luckily im not a massive fan of the stop start so i haven't used it at some traffic lights but i sure would make me look a fool if it happened at traffic lights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Silver Up said:
when i would come home from work i'd stop the car outside the garage and use to stop start whilst i opened the garage door then jump back in and proceed to park the car, but when i would get back in the car and press the clutch pedal down to start the car again it wouldn't restart it so i have to turn off the car completely and restart it to carry on parking,
—� In some instances it may be necessary to start the engine manually with the ignition key (e.g. when the seat belt is not inserted or the driver's door is opened for more than 30 seconds).

Source : the stop/start conditions link above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
misho1984 said:
Thanks for your insightful post.
I can confirm I have had same issue as you.
I too love my up, but I am worried about it
I just bought mine 2 days ago and this problem happened to me almost instantly.
I had just left dealer when I heard high pitch bleep and flashing warning "A" sign on the dash. So I thought ill give it 24 hours... sure enough next day it had gone and my stop/start worked, but not perfectly - it restarted engine automatically without me depressing clutch.
Then the dreaded warning noise and sign returned -
How long did your car go away for?
It sounds silly but dont wanna part from my car so quickly haha



Again thanks for your post.
I may take a video of problem like you in case they dont believe me.
On the occasion when the car was rewired I was without it for two weeks. Other visits have been for two or three days. Now that my problems are in their database maybe they can find the fault quicker. Now that mine is working properly I can see that it never did before! For the last few weeks since they fixed it, it has never once restarted on its own at traffic lights even though the weather has been cold and wet and ive been using heat and music and lights. Just once or twice the stop/start off icon has lit, which is as it should be. But no beep and flash. If you want to video it when it beeps stop the car but don't switch the engine off. Then switch the stop start system off with the button on the dash, prepare your camera and switch it on again. I found that when I turned the ignition on and off the system usually reset itself. Good luck!Edited by: yapmaul
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I picked up my Up! On 1st March, so it's less than a month old. Unfortunately, I have had the exact same issue with the stop/start system about a week after having the car. Every time I start the engine I get a high pitched warning and the 'A' symbol flashes in yellow on the instrument display.

I've reported it to the dealer and am taking the car in to get checked tomorrow.

Yapmaul, you say the issue has finally been fixed on your Up! Was it the replacement of the brake servo that fixed it or something else - I'm going to show your posts to the VW Texhnician when I take my car in tomorrow.

Cheers!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Mine had this exact sameissue and was resolved under warranty with a new brake servo. Hope that helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was actually a brake servo pipe that was replaced apparently. Certainly the problem finally seems to be fixed. Good luck with yours.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Got mine fixed in about 24 hours. They ran diagnostics and found brake servo issue. Vw chap also offered to keep it over night to test it and make sure problem didn't return.
If you happen to not need it for a day or so. ..this worked perfectly for me. And like yapmaul suggested videoing the issue helped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Scrap that problem has recurred
Apparently they gotta replace the whole brake servo pipe.
Which has to be ordered in.
So lets see how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
misho1984 said:
Scrap that problem has recurred
Apparently they gotta replace the whole brake servo pipe.
Which has to be ordered in.
So lets see how it goes.
Did you get this fixed? Hope so!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
No yapmaul- they've had to replace 2 things - so it's been with them for over 7 days now.
As its under warranty they've had to follow guidelines from VW , and have to now fit another part tomorrow.
So lets see.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
misho1984 said:
No yapmaul- they've had to replace 2 things - so it's been with them for over 7 days now.
As its under warranty they've had to follow guidelines from VW , and have to now fit another part tomorrow.
So lets see.......
Sorry to hear that Misho. Hope they've given you something decent to drive while they fix it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Massive thread resurrection, but this is my first post and I need some help!

I'm having the same problems as some of the original posters in this thread - stop start keeps restarting by itself and sometimes I get a warning signal. I've had the battery checked and I can see from the previous bills before I bought the car that the brake booster pressure sensor has been changed already.

It seems as though lots of people had the issue solved by replacing brake booster vacuum hose. I think the cars must be restarting because the sensor detects a loss of brake vacuum. That suggests the hoses were leaking ( or maybe the non return valve, which is right by the sensor).

My question is, if there is a vacuum leak, why do the brakes not get really hard with the engine off? If the brake servo (booster) vacuum is lost, I'd expect to feel it at the pedal. Does anyone know if there is another non return valve at the servo itself? This would explain that there was a loss of vacuum in the pipe but not at the pedal.

Or can anyone shed any more light on this? Those who had pipes replaced, did the dealer explain why?

I'm really confused... Help!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top