Up Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just taken my car into the dealers to get this checked out but I'd be glad to hear from any owners with BMT cars whether they have had a warning buzzer go off in conjunction with the stop/start light in the dash flashing on and off.

When I spoke to the technician he seemed to think that it wasn't working because the conditions weren't right eg battery charge too low and said this can happen if there are a lot of demands on power eg air con running plus lights etc. I doubt that this is the cause in my case, as it has done this after a long journey with very little drain on power, just air con and radio. Plus, when it switches off in a 'normal' way (waiting at lights only a short time after setting out, for example) the engine restarts and the light comes on with a bar through the A.

I don't think this can be normal as it isn't mentioned in the manual, but I'd like to have at much info as poss before discussing further with the garage, especially if you normally drive with air con on and radio on and it HASN'T happened to you.

They are being very good btw and I have a brand new Polo while they investigate. First impressions are that I feel cocooned in too much plastic and I prefer the dash on the up. Up 3doors all round visibility is also much better and the up is a lot more fun!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

It really does sound like the amps would be going too low on the battery, maybe the battery has a recharge issue?

My BMT has not ever started up yet by itself while waiting midst cars at red lights even when having all lights on (fog lights too), air con on (which btw switches itself off whenever the engine stops and starts steaming up the window
) and maps & more on.

I know that the A with cross comes on when it has been less then 100 yards from the last stop/start or a mile or so after you first start. If you have been driving long distances it does sound odd and a fault somewhere.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZillUp said:
Hi,

It really does sound like the amps would be going too low on the battery, maybe the battery has a recharge issue?

My BMT has not ever started up yet by itself while waiting midst cars at red lights even when having all lights on (fog lights too), air con on (which btw switches itself off whenever the engine stops and starts steaming up the window 
) and maps & more on.

I know that the A with cross comes on when it has been less then 100 yards from the last stop/start or a mile or so after you first start. If you have been driving long distances it does sound odd and a fault somewhere.
Thanks Zillup. I don't think my air con switches off when the engine stps. Never noticed it doing so and the fan keeps going. I definitely think there's something wrong, but they still don't know much about the up. They say mines the only one they've had back for any reason!

·
Registered
217 Posts
well good luck and hope you get it sorted!

p.s. the aircon does really stop, you might not always notice it as it doesn't affect the fans. When the BMT engine stop kicks in, it starts blowing warmer (if you have it set on cold air) and more moist air. Talking from experience of 2 identical Ups

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe you! I guess living out here in the country I never stop for long enough to notice!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have also had my windscreen mist up when waiting at lights, the caruses petrol to run aircon soit must cut out

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Indeed... If the engine is off, the AC Compressor is not compressing!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out there is a faulty brake sensor feeding wrong info to the stop start system. Probably (I think) caused by the stone in the brake disc, or rather the RAC man's removal of same, which led on to slight misalignment of brakes that had to be fixed. So not the up's fault!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi I've got a 2014 High up! from new with 15311 miles, until a week ago I'd no problems (Very cold & damp morning I'd got lights, heater and radio on) but I've got the flashing waring light and an audible bleep on my return journey 3hrs later ?, I've had my battery on a 12hr charge and nothing has altered, yesterday was cold 10dg feels like 6dg.
My question is will any harm be done to the engine if ignored? Because you can manually switch it off but it has to be done every time you start the car from what I can see. Any help appreciated. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts