Up Owners Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
The cold has just started here in Sweden.
With ice on the windscreen and the blower set to windscreen(clock 12 position) I noticed some strange regular areas defrosted faster ,just in the border between the dashboard and the windscreen.As I know there are no blowing outlets there. Does anyone know how this melting pattern occurs?
Car Vehicle Photograph Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Possibly a residue from the wipers - looks like they have skipped or juddered over a dry screen at some point....

·
Registered
709 Posts
In cold weather my Smarts windscreen used to get misty and sometimes wet on the inside. I put it down to the car being ten years old and the rubber seals not being as good as they used to be.

However in the very cold weather we have had recently, the same thing has happened to my UP GTI, a wet screen on the inside. The car is only two years old. It takes ages for the screen to clear even with air con on and the fan at max 4. I do not like to wipe the screen with a cloth, so i just sit there for ages until the fan has cleared the screen.

I guess it is the area where i live rather high up and exposed to the wind and cold. How would an electric car manage in these conditions. I think the range would drop from 100 miles to 50 miles. Roll on the Summer.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Is the OP talking about ice inside or outside, on the screen?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hello everybody!
The cold has just started here in Sweden.
With ice on the windscreen and the blower set to windscreen(clock 12 position) I noticed some strange regular areas defrosted faster ,just in the border between the dashboard and the windscreen.As I know there are no blowing outlets there. Does anyone know how this melting pattern occurs? View attachment 7614
I would be more concerned about the fact that it looks like you are driving with ice blocking your view and have taken a photo showing this whilst driving as well as being too close to the car in front! Just my opinion.....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Not sure, perhaps inside and outside.

My cars windscreen inside gets misty first thing in the morning if its cold outside but i can clear the screen outside with a cloth. However if its really cold with frost/ice on the outside of the screen, then the inside of the screen is wet and takes ages to clear as described above.
Its not a problem as such, just annoying. At least it helps keep the cars mileage down as most times i cant be bothered waiting for the screen to clear and just get the bus instead with my bus pass.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
it looks like you are driving with ice blocking your view and have taken a photo showing this whilst driving as well as being too close to the car in front
I think he drives on the right, and is parked against the kerb! :)

His lights are on and reflecting off the car in front I reckon, which itself is jammed right up against the kerb!

Reactions: The_ASH and Emmetd

·
Registered
e-up! 32kwh white
119 Posts
I guess it is the area where i live rather high up and exposed to the wind and cold. How would an electric car manage in these conditions. I think the range would drop from 100 miles to 50 miles. Roll on the Summer.
It mostly defrosts whilst plugged in so doesn’t drain the battery, just needing the snow brushing offand the range drops from perfect condition 160 to worst case 100 miles

I get the same pattern at the base of the screen, it’s often the last bit to clear.

·
Registered
709 Posts
It mostly defrosts whilst plugged in so doesn’t drain the battery, just needing the snow brushing offand the range drops from perfect condition 160 to worst case 100 miles

I get the same pattern at the base of the screen, it’s often the last bit to clear.

I was not far off then with a 50 mile drop. The pre heat feature is nice.

I have seen a vid from a guy who fits home wall boxes and the meter cupboard has a lot more items in it than mine, so i guess my older system would need updating before a wall box could be fitted.

My UP GTI is covered in snow at the moment so i am not moving out the house today.. They say it will be a bit warmer tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
I would be more concerned about the fact that it looks like you are driving with ice blocking your view and have taken a photo showing this whilst driving as well as being too close to the car in front! Just my opinion.....
I'd be more concerned with your own eyesight if I were you, the car is clearly parked against a kerb.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Oh, I thought it was the radial lines.
If not, then the wavy pattern could possibly be constructive and destructive interference patterns as airflows merge - the airflows are inherently pulsed to an extent, since a simple radial fan is used to shift the air.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'd be more concerned with your own eyesight if I were you, the car is clearly parked against a kerb.
TBH, I couldn't be bothered to zoom in as the subject matter was boring! Checked closer and yes it's parked at the kerb and the windscreen appears to be cracked. Whoopee doo!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Yes! It does look cracked, low down, horizontally!
I for one missed this, thinking it was the way ice had formed under the parked wiper, but now I'm not sure!

Errm... Remind me. What is this thread really about? Should I run outside and have some anxiety about my car, now we are dipping below double-digit temperatures down here? (in the daytime).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I appreciate the commitment from the whole forum.
Someone wondered if the ice was on the outside. Yes.
I stand on the right side of the road and as someone guesses right, I stand still.
The question is whether the windshield has been delaminated due to the long horizontal crack. I will ask Pilkington as I find it hopeless to find answers in this childish forum ..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.