Up Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<h1>Volkswagen staff on strike alert due to wage dispute</h1>
2 Oct 2012Flash News

Staff at the Volkswagen car plant in the Bratislava borough of Devínska Nová Ves are on strike alert as of Monday, October 1, following a disagreement with the employer over their demands, the TASR newswire learnt.

Among other things, the plant's employees want a pay increase of 6.8 percent as of January 2013, head of the plant's trade unions Zoroslav Smolinský said, adding that the plant suggests that salaries be upped by only 3.2 percent. The trade unions also request that break times be extended and that work conditions be improved. "We demand that the social and financial standing of the employees be improved. The employer isn't heeding our requests. We got stuck in the ninth round of bargaining, and so we've declared a strike alert," said Smolinský.

Volkswagen Slovakia has proposed to increase salaries at the plant in Bratislava by 3.2 percent as of January 2013, along with two payments of ‚¬100, company spokesman Vladimir Machalík said. The draft of the Collective Agreement also contains all previous benefits provided by the company, such as the summer holiday contribution amounting to 60 percent of the monthly salary, and the Christmas bonus in the amount of 100 percent of the monthly salary, said Machalík.

The trade unions say they are ready for more talks but at the same time do not dismiss the possibility of a full-blown strike ""“ something that has never taken place in Slovak industry.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
f-sake thats my build week!! hopefully theyll of built it lol

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a bit concerning in other ways too, employees obviously not satisfied with their pay and working conditions. This has never happened before so moral could be low amongst workers which can affect the overall quality of workmanship.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
after I wrote that I thought it sounded a bit rude/selfish, I didnt mean to come accross like that of course its a terrible thing for the workers if they are at the stage of striking, I dont know if you saw the dispatches show on cruises last monday it was a real eye opener about multi million pound businesses treating there staff like crap and slaves.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I think they should hold out for the full 6.8% they have done awonderful job on my car and theydeserveall they can get

good luck to them

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh boy! hope i goes well and they get what they are asking for so we can receive our cars (those of us who are still waiting)

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
spud said:
I think they should hold out for the full 6.8% they have done a wonderful job on my car and they deserve all they can get

good luck to them
All well and good, as you have yours already. I don't dispute that people should get fair pay, but I've paid my deposit and I'd something to show for it. People shouldn't be allowed to take out their gripes on paying customers. Just my two pence.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
bit right wing me but if they dont want to work for what they are offered, stand aside, there are plenty looking for work!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My Co-worker just e-mailed a journalist who is covering the situation down at the plant, and he says that the union is currently trying to push through with the workers demands of a higher salary.. And that nothing is certain at this point.

#Edit# And he wrote that he would keep us informed if anything changed, fingers crosssed

Edited by: Peder-Dingo

·
Registered
47 Posts
Privatedoc said:
bit right wing me but if they dont want to work for what they are offered, stand aside, there are plenty looking for work!
Not as simple as that as I am very happy with the waythe up is put together (and no doubt owners of Citigos and Miis are happy also) and it would take time to get a new workforce up to speed in the ways of VW/Skoda. I mention Skoda because Isense there is a strong input from Skoda in the up! manufacturing process.

And given that VW seem to be selling every car produced from this plant it does seemthat theexisting workforceare doing something right and an appropriate value should be placed on this.

How do wages and benefits at this plant compare with wages in German factories?

A big differential in what is on the face of it a succesful factory could be the root cause of discontent and VW really should be seen to be resolving this rather than taking what seems to be a confrontational approach.

vup rider

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not quite the same but...
We had a big payoff at the factory where I work and now you have inexperienced people working the machines that produce the parts, now management is really worried about efficancy and quality of machined parts.

that is the thing about getting a new work force

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The whole emphasis in the world is more production for less overheads. I work in the NHS and its no different, less staff on lower pay and more ground to cover. There comes a point when quality suffers, it has to and is doing in all walks of life. The car industry will be no different and its far to early to say wether or not the UP! is a good or bad car in terms of quality as only time will tell.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts