Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the black side stripes off my GTi as soon as I got it (well before in fact because the dealer did it). What’s others opinion on this? I think it looks better without them, and I very nearly bought a black car because it doesn’t have them. Thoughts?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I am afraid that's the last thing I would do to mine.
Removing the original 1976 inspired Gti side stripes just removes the Up Gtis character.

Next you will be removing the cars red front and rear stripes, and the stunning Jacara tartan seating.

I suppose if you think your car looks better without the stripes, then that's fine, but you would have been better off with a 90 TSi.

The stripes are there for a reason, and unless you can remember walking into a VW showroom one warm July afternoon in 1980, taking delivery of a brand new Mk1 Gti, then maybe buying an Up Gti was the wrong move

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is personal thing. I just don’t like stickers on cars. I think it looks more discrete without, which I like, just wondered if any others had done it as when I asked the dealer he said a few people had asked if you could take them off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
It is personal thing. I just don’t like stickers on cars. I think it looks more discrete without, which I like, just wondered if any others had done it as when I asked the dealer he said a few people had asked if you could take them off.
If you're happy that's all that matters, our opinions mean nothing on what you want to do with you're own car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
They are a large part of the character and heritage of the car in my opinion as said above.

I wouldn't contemplate doing it, and I think as a usedcar without them most people wouldn't look at it,hence limiting your market when it comes to selling or would reflect in any trade in price.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I agree with you on resale and preference. I just wanted to know how many others had done the same - but not many by the look of it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes it’s quite a high sided car. There again the black car has no stripes and I don’t think it looks bad for it.
I don’t know what I think about the whole Mk1 GTi link really. I suppose it’s interesting in as much as it shows how much the Golf itself has changed and the stats are similar. There again I bought the Up GTi because I like the basic Up, not because it’s got the Golf link. Anyway I’m going off topic....

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am also not a great fan of stripes, etc. But my wife has an UP with no stripes, and I bought a Seat Mii FR Line (same car basically) in white. It came with the lower door stripes and some on the tailgate and I thought it made all the difference, just what the white car needed. Went well with the black roof on the car and tinted rear windows. Wish I had kept it now. Haha.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I like the Mii FR it’s a good car. Yes I’ve seen the stripes on those as there is one near me, it does look good on that. As others have said it’s personal preference - a least I have a one off car (that nobody will buy off me....)!

·
Registered
301 Posts
They are a large part of the character and heritage of the car in my opinion as said above.

I wouldn't contemplate doing it, and I think as a usedcar without them most people wouldn't look at it,hence limiting your market when it comes to selling or would reflect in any trade in price.
Oh well assume us black GTI owners may as well drive ours off a cliff at resale time.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It's what's unique about the car, it's not a TSI 90, but a Gti.
It may be a very basic car underneath, but it's wears that GTi badge, so must wear unique Gti accessories.
To me, the visual appearance of the Up Gti is what's special about it.
Those stripes are there for a reason, and they set the cars bodylines off well.

Maybe because I can remember driving home in a brand new Mk1, over 40 yrs ago, and then the side stripes were part of the Gti experience.

We're all different, but a Up Gti should have side stripes, its what made the original car so unique

·
Registered
35 Posts
There was a black car or two that had stipes added in satin silver. Looked quite nice and I toy with the idea of putting them on mine from time to time.

I just know I'll never get the **** things level which will drive my OCD insane, so I never bother in the end!

I also think the mirror caps in the same satin silver would look good. Just too scared to try it all...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Don’t do it the black cars look cool as they are! Or you could get a white roof wrap....did anyone see the add for a GTi some time back - it had a matt grey wrap with black and red stripes - it was about £18k I recall but had black mirrors and black roof - looked very good

1 - 20 of 39 Posts