Up Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
It's a personal thing. Some people like them others don't. I think it also depends on paint colour and type of car on whether they look good or not. Black stripes on a high sided white car look good such as up/Mii/citigo but less so on a coupe in a metallic paint.

I like the black stripes and black roof on our white seat Mii FR line. I would have preferred the solid black band on the tailgate to fade from black to black and white squares like it does on the Mii Sport.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also think the stripes are an important part of the UP gti’s look / character and it did lead me, personally, to exclude black from my colour shortlist. I was slightly torn in another way though, as I think the black tailgate looks far better against a black body. I am still toying with the idea of doing something subtle with (a) tailgate decal(s) to break up the black glass at the back a bit on our tungsten, between the top of the red stripe and the bottom of the rear wiper...possibly something matt black

If I had a black gti I’d defo add stripes and matching mirror caps, probably is a relatively dark “shadow chrome metallic” shade though. I’m surprised vw didn’t offer something like this.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Does a MK1 black Golf GTi have side stripes in another colour? If so it’s odd they didn’t do the same for the black Up GTi. Maybe even VW thought it looked better without....😬

·
Registered
515 Posts
Only ever seen an original black Mk1 Golf with silver stripes, but I may be wrong...
Does a MK1 black Golf GTi have side stripes in another colour? If so it’s odd they didn’t do the same for the black Up GTi. Maybe even VW thought it looked better without....😬

·
Banned
645 Posts
I've never been one for slagging you off and never read your war and peace (edited) posts but after reading this I can see that by f#ck you can talk some sh#te.
Thats your opinion, and opinions will differ.
Get over it mate

I believe the Up Gti needs the side stripes to stay faithful to the original Gti concept.
By what i can remember way back in 1979-80, the Metallic Grey and Black Mk1 Gtis never came with side stripes, just the White and Red vehicles had them.
If you do not like the stripes just remove them, same with the rest of the car, if you do not like certain aspects of the Up Gti, then change them.

I simply hated the style of the Ronal 17s fitted to the Up, so gave them away to a friend, they did nothing for the car.
Thats my choice, and i am glad to see the back of them.

Ive always hated diamond polished alloys, their murder to keep clean, and its unfortunate that a lot of manufacturers are using them for their cosmetic styling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Only ever seen an original black Mk1 Golf with silver stripes, but I may be wrong...
It has silver ones you are right found a picture on line but is very of it’s time - wouldn’t look right on a black up I don’t think

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
I've taken the stripes off my silver GTI - didn't like them.

·
Super Moderator
1,486 Posts
Darn it and I thought mine was unique! I agree with you - it looks more classy - have you got the black roof?
Nope, silver roof.

·
Banned
645 Posts
A rare visitor to llandudno, yesterday afternoon, a 68 plate Black Gti parked on the mainstreet, first Gti ive seen since last August.
Like a few others here, i recon if Sytner Vw had offered me a Black Gti over my Pure White, then i probably would have said no, i would have waited for another car.

Ive only had one Black car in the past, and i said NEVER AGAIN, nice when their clean and polished, but paint blemishes are difficult to conceal

The car yesterday, was covered in so many swirl marks, that i knew any other colour was the best choice.
My favourite is the Dark Tungsten Silver, but my Pure White is quite acceptable, and the side stripes are a must, Its a Gti after all,

Maintaining Black paintwork is very hard work, so if i was buying a new Gti again, Tungsten first and Pure White second

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I like the GTi in black, the only reason I didn’t go for it was that I think the black parts like the diffuser, mirror caps and front splitter don’t stand out as well and because I think the colour of the body on the inside of the doors looks better on the other colours.
I’d say the white looks best on the inside as it contrasts well with the red dash. The red is a nicer red than I thought it would be but I’m not sure I could have a red car, though my wife’s loves hers. The tungsten looks classy and looks good from the inside top and all the black bits stand off it, so I went for that with the black roof. However this is not meant to be a judgement - we all have our reasons for the colours we have - stripes or no.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I had matt black stripes added to my car when it was black, subtle enough.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My second choice was the white [picked black in the end, and sometimes regret it as I liked the bright white in the cabin], but would have definitely taken the stripes off. They look a bit naff to me.
Probably should've just bought a totally standard red one. OH WHATEVER!

21 - 40 of 42 Posts