Up Owners Club banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It's frustrating because the same tyre, well at least the MK2 version of it, scored really well all round, including for comfort and quietness in the recent tyrereviews.com test, though that was in a more sensible size of 205/55 16.

·
Registered
627 Posts
It's frustrating because the same tyre, well at least the MK2 version of it, scored really well all round, including for comfort and quietness in the recent tyrereviews.com test, though that was in a more sensible size of 205/55 16.

The efficient grip performance 2 in this test is a totally different tyre that we all enjoy on the UP gti btw.

·
Registered
627 Posts

The thing I find with tyre reviews is there’s no consistency to the results with tyres varying widely in results with different testers.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Sean, how is it a totally different tyre, apart from the size ? In terms of tyre construction, tread pattern and compound ?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·

The thing I find with tyre reviews is there’s no consistency to the results with tyres varying widely in results with different testers.
Agreed generally, but the guy who runs that site is building up quite a reputation for thoroughness, and for actually testing out the issues and doing the comparisons that tyre geeks are interested in...

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sean, how is it a totally different tyre, apart from the size ? In terms of tyre construction, tread pattern and compound ?
Can’t tell you the exact spec but with the increased performance reduced wear rate the construction and compound is different also has different tread pattern . Not available in 195/40/17 or 205/40/17 either.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Agreed generally, but the guy who runs that site is building up quite a reputation for thoroughness, and for actually testing out the issues and doing the comparisons that tyre geeks are interested in...
Yes this guy is brilliant at tyre testing . What I meant was there’s huge differences in test results from say auto express compared to auto bild or evo magazine tests compared to German, French or Polish test results .

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Yeah, agreed.

It's amazing how much enthusiasm there is in the comments on his site and the yt videos. What I particularly like is that he has started measuring noise over both coarse and smooth surfaces. Here in the UK the former is so important. A real obsession of mine. Also it's an area where all season tyres often perform slightly better than pure summer tyres.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yeah, agreed.

It's amazing how much enthusiasm there is in the comments on his site and the yt videos. What I particularly like is that he has started measuring noise over both coarse and smooth surfaces. Here in the UK the former is so important. A real obsession of mine. Also it's an area where all season tyres often perform slightly better than pure summer tyres.
I watch all his tyre tests, winters ,all season and summers on his you tube channel and it’s obvious he eats breaths and sleeps tyres all to help us decide which tyre to buy so well worth subscribing to his channel.
One thing worth bearing in mind is (imho) the difference between a tyre in first place and one in say in 10th out of 20 tyres would hardly be noticed by most drivers on the road.
Those Hankook all seasons are great tyres btw!

Reactions: tsi17

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
In a few years, an important tyre measure will also be particulate emissions!

Brakes and tyres shed more harmful particulates than Up engines do now (at least the versions with GPFs fitted). Brakes on EVs will shed less because of more regen braking, and EVs won't shed from clutches either - so it'll be down to tyres!

Just thought it may be of interest!

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'm in the they aren't as bad as everyone makes out "camp". Are there better tyres out there? Yes. Are the Efficient Grips the worst tyres out there? Not by a long long way. I've been out today in the wet on my local B roads and absolutely provoked the **** out of the tyres, pressures 29 front, 26 rear. The only way I could provoke the traction control was a full throttle launch with some steering angle. I induced some light understeer by ragging the steering wheel and WOT mid sharp corner. Understeer really isnt fun in these as there is quite some lag in taking off throttle and the throttle actually coming off. Despite my best efforts I've not managed to induce lift off over steer yet. Maybe it needs a big fat rear arb like Jabba did for the Mk1 Fabia vRS back in the day.
I totally get why people throw on a set of PS4's, I have an obsession with tyres and always have had. I personally think the wheels are too big and too heavy for such a small and light car. They look amazing and it will be a tough decision but some light 16" wheels with 195/45/16 tyres and some eibach springs will in my opinion be the best mods I could do. And a remap, and traction delete. And some eibach springs. Maybe some bilsteins, although I ruined a Saab estate with a Bilstien/Eibach combo. Way too hard, and that wasn't a light car. A little off topic but every car I've ever driven on coilovers has been 100% too hard and completely ruined. You NEED some sidewall and suspension travel to go quickly on public roads.

Reactions: Mark.cup and 911ts3

·
Registered
562 Posts
29psi front 26psi rear are terrible running 205/40/17 Michelin PS4's it must be the softer sidewall...

Now running the highest pressures since owning the car which are the comfort settings of 35psi front 32psi rear and it's firm but really well damped someone on another thread described it perfectly by saying it's tauter and so much more controlled 😁!

It really does show how much of difference tyre pressures can make on different brands of tyres.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
It takes a while to get the pressures just right for tyres and tastes. I recently changed mine from 29 and 26 to 32 and 28 and have done around 600 miles since. I'm pretty happy at that. I'm 99% certain I'll be changing tyres after a visit to Chesterfield early in July though. We'll see. I remember Toyo T1R's needing about 4psi more due to soft sidewalls way back when.

·
Registered
222 Posts
29psi front 26psi rear are terrible running 205/40/17 Michelin PS4's it must be the softer sidewall...

Now running the highest pressures since owning the car which are the comfort settings of 35psi front 32psi rear and it's firm but really well damped someone on another thread described it perfectly by saying it's tauter and so much more controlled 😁!

It really does show how much of difference tyre pressures can make on different brands of tyres.
An interesting and spot-on point about the difference in damping.

I wonder how many have replaced their OEM suspension in favour of an aftermarket setup when all along the terrible damping was simply down to the OEM tyres, and not the suspension ?

Those Efficientgrips are a rare breed indeed and for me, the only true use for them would be as barriers at the local Karting track rather than being mounted on any vehicle, let alone our pride and joy ! 😂

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm on coilovers and went from perfectly happy on the Dunlop's at lower pressures to not very happy at all on the PS4's at the lower pressures...

It literally felt like we had changed the suspension today just by upping them to the comfort settings I wouldn't have believed pressures could make such a difference!

Now seems to be just where I want it well damped and much more controlled at a better height for a GTi

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've said it from day one if you can live with the arch gap on a set of different tyres it's perfectly set up from factory 99% of the time you will get the odd bounce from the rear but no car is perfect

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Not a huge surprise if you bear in mind a tyre + air is a significant spring and damper system in its own right, and that is compounded with the 'real' spring and damper to make the sums very complicated. You'd notice a 15% change in the spring or damper, but it is also true that you can get that change with different tyres and pressures. It is also true that an unfortunate combination of tyre and pressure can literally undo any benefit given by what might otherwise be a good spring/damper combo....

It's a minefield unless you able to spend time and money on trying many dozens of setups to get what suits you. You may hit lucky and settle, depending on your local roads, but there is no magic formula or brand choices to make this easy...

·
Registered
562 Posts
I get what you are saying! But the difference in ride quality was almost to the point you wouldn't believe it on the Michelin's so I am putting it down to the tyres construction...

I could run the lower pressures on the Dunlop's and it handled really well and rode well equally I had tried the higher pressures for a very short while and it just made the car overly firm for my tastes.

The lower pressures on the Michelin's literally destroyed what is considered the plushest of all the coilovers available for the Up GTi.

Like you say trial and error and I've tried multiple set ups and tyres now. It has been a little awkward with it being my other halfs main car and us not going so many places in it due to the pandemic.

But today I felt a sense of relief after a trip to the coast and back 😁

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
yes - it's pretty much providing evidence for the point at hand, but the thing is you have worked out what feels good for you. :) Your next mission, should you choose to accept, is to get Margot Robbie (or whoever) in the passenger seat.

now, I am pretty convinced by people that almost any other big-brand tyre is better than the "(in)efficient grip" tyres that everyone hates (btw mine came with Conti EcoContact5 at 185/50x16 which really aren't bad on my modest car), but I reckon some folk may not necessarily need to spend money on new springs and dampers (until the dampers wear) as they may find different tyres + right_pressures may well give a happier ride and handling compromise all by themselves.....

41 - 59 of 59 Posts