Up Owners Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
Have been a long time VW Up (1.0MPI 75hp, -16) owner, and have been very pleased with this car until 3 days ago.

Its been really warm weather the last days, and when I was taking a ride in the car, I had to use the AC at full power
to get some decent temperature inside of the car.
It was then I noticed the car was a bit slower than normal, but I thought it might be the A/C that made the engine a bit
lower on power than normal.

Then 2 days ago I was on the highway, and the car slowed down from 100km/h (~62mph i think) to 80km/h when going uphill.
First time ever the car has done this.
And when looking at the maps and more datascreen it showed the engine was using 0.7-0.8liters at full throttle which is like half
of what it should read.

So I bought a cheap bluetooth obd2 scanner, and checked for errors.
Not one single error did show up.

Then I used the all sensor readings and checked various things to see if something looked out of the ordinary.
Then I saw this "Absolute throttle position" sensor that never showed over 28% when i put the pedal to the floor.
When I released the pedal it showed me 0%, so it looks strange that the pedal only shows values between 0% and 28%.

Cause when I checked the brake and clutch pedal, they show up over 80% when pushed, so I think there could be something at fault
with the pedal sensor.

Ive also noticed that if the car does not have any power, it is like that for the rest of the ride. Then when I sometimes try to restart the car
it works with full power all the time. So could it be some calibration that the pedal does at start?

Have anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Good work...
Disconnect the battery and reconnect it - this resets the ECU.
Also check battery health - you may need a new one. The alternator may be be flat out all the time instead of it doing its normal "smart" charge.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The PID “Absolute Throttle Position” is the throttle blade position and is not directly related to the pedal position (as the Up has electronic throttle and no throttle cable). So unless you were at higher engine speeds then 28% may be all the throttle blade opening required for full performance.

There should be a separate PID for “Accelerator Pedal Position” or similar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts