Up Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weeks edition had a pull out with the best cars to buy, in their opinion. Best city car? Of course. Second best? The CitiGo. Third best? The Ford Ka. Eh? The Panda was nowhere to be seen. It was a bit bizarre. The Up clearly should be in the top few, but the Ford Ka? The Fiat 500 was, I think, fifth.

·
Registered
587 Posts
CitiGo tends to score more points from its looks and slightly lower sticker value. But many would agree the Mii, CitiGo and Up! are pretty much the same. The Mii seems to be the one most overlooked in reviews and polls, maybe down to the fact that SEAT has a lower profile, even though it has just had its best September ever!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Historically VW have always done well in new car reviews but not so well in long term reliability surveys and dealer satisfaction poles.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Rickenbacker said:
Historically VW have always done well in new car reviews but not so well in long term reliability surveys and dealer satisfaction poles.

VAG brands as a whole tend to fall down on the dealer element, Skoda being the one that has seemed to buck the trend. I have always found Audi a bitarrogant, SEATincompetentand VWsomewhere between the two. Personally I think they all need a good fisting from Ann Widdecombe

·
Registered
44 Posts
"Personally I think they all need a good fisting from Ann Widdecombe
"

I had a vision of that and it's put me off my dinner.

Anyone else here think that the Up! is not a city car really? It's a "proper car" dressed up as a city car? The reason I say that is every other city car I tried was cramped, poky and was tiny in the back and they were a bit naff really, but my Up! seems huge in the back,cruisesdown the motorway at 70+, is quite quiet and refined, has a great little stereo and has a decent boot.

Andreturns60 mpg.

·
Registered
47 Posts
johnleigh said:
Anyone else here think that the Up! is not a city car really? It's a "proper car" dressed up as a city car? The reason I say that is every other city car I tried was cramped, poky and was tiny in the back and they were a bit naff really, but my Up! seems huge in the back,cruisesdown the motorway at 70+, is quite quiet and refined, has a great little stereo and has a decent boot.

Andreturns60 mpg.

Totally agree.

And it is faster and handles better and is cheaper to insure than an MGB sports car!

And I used to like my MG sports cars when they made proper sports cars.

vup rider

·
Registered
265 Posts
I find it odd that the poll would credit the Up! and Citigo and not the Mii, when the cars (bar visual differences and price) are identical (at least in my experience of driving all 3). I agree that the Seat has a lower profile (was the only manufacturer not to advertise the launch) but it just shows inadequate research on the part of the author.

Edited by: bazves

·
Registered
587 Posts
bazves said:
I find it odd that the poll would credit the Up! and Citigo and not the Mii, when the cars (bar visual differences and price) are identical (at least in my experience of driving all 3). I agree that the Seat has a lower profile (was the only manufacturer not to advertise the launch) but it just shows inadequate research on the part of the author.

SEAT seems to often get overlooked these day's it was only a few years back Skoda was the one in the doldrums. SEAT's lack of marketing in even the dealerships doe not helps it's case. How many people on here for instance now that they can now order the new Toledo. or have even heard about it.

SEAT need the marketing genius that is "Boris the mayor of London"

·
Registered
532 Posts
The Citigo has acquired another cylinder and some extra ccs.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
johnleigh said:

Andreturns60 mpg.
I suspect the trend is going to be 'small' cars which can also serve as a small family car. The price of petrol, and taxation are driving this trend.

I used to get a lift in loads of small cars, as Friday was the work's lunchtime pub visit, and we'd take it in turns to drive. I think the back seats in the Up are as good as or better than any of the other cars which included a Panda, Aygo, Audi A3, Peugeot something and a Ford Fiesta. I did like the Panda, it is a cleverly designed little car. I recently had a Mercedes B class, 1.6L, for a few days when in Dunfermline, and the Up has better performance, and drives better, but the Merc was quieter, noticeably so.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Leif said:
jezyg said:
Personally I think they all need a good fisting from Ann Widdecombe
Oh, is that what she is up to these days, 'personal services'. Thank goodness I've eaten, although it is now not entirely clear if the meal will stay down.

I am sure Ann will help keep it down

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
miiami vice said:
Im surprised the Mii was overlooked as i think the interior has a retro style like the mk1 fiesta XR2 from the 80's
And they gave the first prize to the Fiesta for the next class up which included the Mini and Audi A1. The Polo was way down. I drove a base spec Fiesta and it had no more space inside than an Up (marginally more boot), but the console felt cheap, and performance was poor. No doubt the higher spec larger engined ones are much better, but you would not know that from the article. I think these sorts of articles are not all they are claimed to be, just a group of journalists having a bit of fun. Only you can weight the cars features according to your needs. I am sure that for some people a Fiat Panda would be better than an Up due for example to more upright seating. Or if you really want sporty performance, a big engined Fiesta would do the business.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts