Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just collected my new Move Up and the dealer is offering to apply supagard to the exterior paint work and interior fittings for free, all I have to do is to take the car back in a couple of days time to get it applied.
Has anyone tried it?
Is it any good?
Or should I give a go as its free plus they are also throwing in a free set of front and rear mud flaps at the same time.

Your thoughts please

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hi,

I have Supagarded several cars myself now buying the kit off of Ebay for about £6. It is no "wonder product" and ispurely asealantso will not add any extra shine. However I ave found it has keep the paintwork on the cars looking a little bit cleaner and moreresilientto very fine surface scratches and water beads off more easily.

As long as the car ispreppedproperly and anycontaminants removed before application is quite good and a thicker coating than Autoglym Lifeshine. Once applied I would stillrecommend a high quality wax to bring up a lovely lustre.

Notworththe £300 a dealer tries to charge FOC worth it. As you already have the car I dorecommendyou wash it and make sure the bodywork is spot on before you send it in. As the dealer valetters usually only get half an hour to apply it and do not prep any car properly and the main reason it does not work as it should.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
Yes thanks for that I will make sure it is clean before it goes in I will have only had it for 5 days.
My main concern is that my move up is Black, I am worried that the actual process of appltying the supagard protection may actually leave fine marks from the process.
Does this happen?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Saps62 said:
Hi
Yes thanks for that I will make sure it is clean before it goes in I will have only had it for 5 days.
My main concern is that my move up is Black, I am worried that the actual process of appltying the supagard protection may actually leave fine marks from the process.
Does this happen?

Supagard is applied the same as wax, it comes in a sponge that is pierced and then dampened with water before it is put on, then allowed to dry and buffed off. Is as easy as wax to apply as well. So should not leave any fine marks at all, if it does than the dealership would be liable. Heard of bad prep but not were fine scratches have been found after application on a new car.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
It's worth it, IMHO, for the guarantees it provides for the interior alone. I've had mine done, and in fact, I paid for mine, an am perfectly happy about it for that reason.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My dealer said he would throw in the Supaguard treatment free (And a full tank of petrol bless him :) and apply it before we collect next week on monday 18th so I was rather chuffed at that.I paid £199 in 2005 for our new yaris (also Black) and was pleased with the stuff - it helped keep the shine after waxing for longer it seemed and definately reduced appearance fine scratches when compared to previous cars without any treatment.
Even if the exterior stuff is only slightly effective fair enough but really worth even paying for the interior treatment in my opinion - had a few minor spills ( kids eh? what can ya do? lol) on the seats but no staining - brill

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had stupa guard as well as Autoglym life shine treatments on the last 4 new cars purchased. Always get it thrown in as a free deal clincher from the dealer (as well as carpet mats and a free tank of fuel!). I've found it really good, especially the interior treatment which keeps seats and carpets in,good condition. Don't pay full price for it though.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Just applied Supagard to my new 116i after using Autoglym lifeshine on the up! Supagard overall seems a slightly better coating but prefer the interior protection from the Lifeshine kit, just seems much easier to apply. Also the glassguard in the Lifeshine kit works well and still had enough left to coat the BMW. One thing you don't get with Supagard is the Vinyl wipes that seal any black plastic or vinyl. On the cars I have used it onincludingthe up! the plastic does not seem to degrade and repels dirt better.For £4 for a pack of three off of Ebay.

Recommend a good coat of wax on top of the Supagard paintsealant for a really deep shine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,
I live in italy and never heard of supagard.. It sound intersting, i think i use something similar called "Synpol" here. I like the idea of piercing the sponge that doses everything :) I might buy some on ebay, how many sponges would i need to supagard an UP!?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
587 Posts
scarja said:
Hi,
I live in italy and never heard of supagard.. It sound intersting, i think i use something similar called "Synpol" here. I like the idea of piercing the sponge that doses everything :) I might buy some on ebay, how many sponges would i need to supagard an UP!?

Thanks,
James

Just one, which is enough to do two cars.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh cheers. And just to know I can pierce using a needle right? Or does it need a thicker hole? And pierce in 2-3 different areas of the sponge correct?

·
Registered
587 Posts
scarja said:
Oh cheers. And just to know I can pierce using a needle right? Or does it need a thicker hole? And pierce in 2-3 different areas of the sponge correct?

Yep can be that or a pair of scissors Iusuallybut about three holes in it before wetting the sponge and applying it. More will come outinitiallyand then it will come out in a steady stream as you wipe it on the car. leave to dry and buff off. Then leave for seven days to cure before washing or applying a coat of wax on top.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts