Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Up! in for it's first annual service today and sadly not returned with the car.

It went in with a rattle/creak coming from the rear end somewhere and they now want to dismantle the whole rear end. I thought it might be some sort of bushings or anti roll bar issue but who knows?

Anyone else had something similar?

I've got a 13 plate courtesy car whose engine is both quieter and smoother, gearbox smoother and less notchy and whose ride is infinitely better than my 12 plate has ever been.

Not overly impressed right now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've had the same problem and was gonna get it checked soon, a squeaking coming from the back left corner of the car everytime I go over a bump :/ just wondering do they charge to take a look and fix it? thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started in that corner for me.

Mine's also on acceleration at slow speed (and now both corners).

I hope not! I think the council will be getting a call if it's not on warranty.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi all. It definitely sounds as though the rear beam to body bush could be worn. If it's a squeaking sound, it stands a chance that it's rubber, and not metal. Here's a picture of where the bush is.

Is metal sounding or something else?

I hope this helps.

Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Matt.

Hope it is something as simple as a bush. Would you think they'd be that worn after 8k miles and 12 months though? It's not like I'm rallying it.

It is more of a creak/rattle than a squeak though.

At a bit of a loss as to what it could be. At best a bit of lube or some tightening or a bush. At worst?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Manacee. It's my pleasure. It still could be. Can you feel it through the car body? I s it metallic? Does it do it at any particular time, ie, when you first get into the car, or over speed bumps etc?

Matt

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's more noticeable at low speeds and after first getting in it but it happens all the time. Speed bumps yes. It sounds like a much older car than the 12 months I've had it.

It happens when I press the throttle to. It's like a knocking sound I guess. The whole body creaks though.

I couldn't believe the difference compared to the 13 plate Up! courtesy car I have. Mine's never had that amount of cushioning.

Do you think I could have broken the anti roll bar or it's come loose?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The car doesn't have anti roll bars on the rear does it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hi Manacee. That could still be the bush, but could also be the rear spring seating being not fully at the end stop, and creaking as the spring presses or "digs" in into the upper or lower seat. That would be more plausible for the symptoms you describe. You'll be able to spot the shiny metal visible through the black paint if this is the case.
As for the ride being better in the 13 plate car, it's very common for car makers to change or upgrade parts. This happens a lot at Toyota, Manufacturing Derby where I work and is in-keeping with it's "continuous improvement" stance. We often change parts to improve the Avensis and Auris that we build there. It could be that your springs/shock absorbers/bushes could be an older level, or a combination of all three.

The "beam" layout of the rear suspension, does not come with an anti roll bar, but the beam itself flexes to absorb the pitch and roll of cornering etc, along with your usual spring and damper assembly.

It's difficult to diagnose without seeing the car in front of me, but I'd take it to the dealer and get them to investigate.

I'm sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but at least you have some items to look at.

The only other itemsit could be are the exhaust, but that usually "knocks", or the fuel tank, but that is usually, bolted directly to the body, or strapped and bolted to the body.

I hope this helps a bit.

Matt

·
Registered
467 Posts
I also have the same squeaking noise. I would compare it with commercial vehicles with rear leaf spring squeaking noise. Will ask tech colleague how to solve this.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So new shocks, top mounts and bearings now fitted. Had to wait for parts.

Not tried it on particularly rough roads, just on the way back from the garage, but touch wood it has done the trick.

The car seems to sit considerably higher (I always have my seat on the lowest height so I know it's not that) and has a much better ride so far much like the courtesy up! I had a couple of weeks ago.

They couldn't find fault with the gearbox issue but they've adjusted the gear linkage which has made for smoother changes and I've lost any hint of noise when engaging reverse which I never thought was an issue until now when the noise has disappeared.

Anyway, hope it's all resolved now and happy with how the dealer has dealt with it all even though my car appears to have been somewhat thrown together!

Should perhaps have just asked 'em to slam it to the floor and throw on air ride....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm interested here - I suspect my rear setup isn't entirely right either - even though I sugger no squeaks. She is a little skitish when cornering enthusiastically on right turns and she is seems really highly sprung on the back like overly so - not much cushion at all - mine has only done 350 miles!

·
Registered
705 Posts
This may be a daft question, but you have checked the tyre pressures?

Nick

·
Registered
101 Posts
Collas said:
This may be a daft question, but you have checked the tyre pressures?

Nick
Nope - I didn't think to. But I certainly will when I get home!

·
Registered
217 Posts
My car went back in today for this same reason. Behold though my car is less then a week old. Conclusion: needs new shock and top mount on rear right.

Sitting in a courtesy car yet again as this is my 3rd Up within a year and again immediate faults

This car is with the sports pack so I'm not exactly sure same parts are being used as you had.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ZillUp said:
My car went back in today for this same reason. Behold though my car is less then a week old. Conclusion: needs new shock and top mount on rear right.

Sitting in a courtesy car yet again as this is my 3rd Up within a year and again immediate faults 

This car is with the sports pack so I'm not exactly sure same parts are being used as you had.
Zillup - Is your response in relation to my problem or the OP's?

·
Registered
217 Posts
wetflyingmonkey said:
ZillUp said:

Zillup - Is your response in relation to my problem or the OP's?

The OPs as I posted in his thread :) Squeak/Creak from the rear.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Just a heads up :

At least one VW dealer has succeeded in delivering an up with the transport gear that freezes the car's suspension travel ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts