Up Owners Club banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well what would you expect them to say ?
Micky I was a track martial/instructor for 5 years at Donnington park on bike. I and my fellow instructors could never count the amount of lads that arrived with fancy and expensive suspension on their bikes and that kit made the bikes un rideable.".. Ohlins fit hideously firm springs. A bike with a very firm spring is never going to handle no matter what setup is dialled in. They genuinely would have lapped quicker on the standard kit fitted to the bikes when they left the factories.
Of course they were amazed and disappointed after spending thousands of pounds after reading bike magazines or going on YouTube.
Your money do as you see fit 馃憤馃憤
Hi Charlie

Respect to you! Sounds like you have a lot of experience with enthusiastic petrol heads who are willing and able to indulge in their passions!

This whole UP GTI journey has been a wonderful distraction and pleasure from some very bad stuff in my life and in that respect, I can't have any regrets! However, I do want to feel that somehow I've created something unique and gives me a chance to explore more of he car's potential o the track!

There are inherent risks of "what on earth was I thinking of". But as they say "the proof of he pudding is in the eating" Time will tell.

Cheers
M

Registered
Yep, plenty of fun can be had from experimenting !

Is the Quaife diff being installed any time soon or still waiting?

Registered
Hi Charlie

Respect to you! Sounds like you have a lot of experience with enthusiastic petrol heads who are willing and able to indulge in their passions!

This whole UP GTI journey has been a wonderful distraction and pleasure from some very bad stuff in my life and in that respect, I can't have any regrets! However, I do want to feel that somehow I've created something unique and gives me a chance to explore more of he car's potential o the track!

There are inherent risks of "what on earth was I thinking of". But as they say "the proof of he pudding is in the eating" Time will tell.

Cheers
M
Micky I鈥檓 probably good at giving advice but terrible at listening so take notice of me. I鈥檝e done some daft things in my time. I genuinely spent 34K building a track Yamaha R1 with a full YEC kit engine. The carbon fibre ram air box from Over racing Japan was nearly 4K alone. At the time I was earning big coin so I never listened to anyone who criticised friendly or otherwise鈥

I鈥檝e seen standard road going bikes ruined by spending far too much money on kit that either wouldn鈥檛 work or the owners just couldn鈥檛 set them up. Of course most couldn鈥檛 ride them anyway.
I may be wrong you might be able to set it up spot on. Just beware not all that tuning companies whether for power or handling or both give a Tom tit about what they鈥檙e selling you.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Yep, plenty of fun can be had from experimenting !

Is the Quaife diff being installed any time soon or still waiting?
Hi Uppy

Thanks for your interest in the diff. Ironically, having spent so much time and resources developing the diff, it isn't yet installed :(

It may not surprise you but I have gone so over budget on the upgraded parts that I have ordered / purchased that I now need to save up for the labour costs of installing these items. 馃槩

TBH, I want to do the install in related sections, so for example, When I receive my strut braces and JRZ suspension (mid august) I will tackle the suspension, front wishbones, bushes, flywheel and diff as one project.

I reckon this will be cheaper in the long run 馃

I am having to be patient but will do a splash on this forum to celebrate and inform :)

Cheers
Michael

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Micky I鈥檓 probably good at giving advice but terrible at listening so take notice of me. I鈥檝e done some daft things in my time. I genuinely spent 34K building a track Yamaha R1 with a full YEC kit engine. The carbon fibre ram air box from Over racing Japan was nearly 4K alone. At the time I was earning big coin so I never listened to anyone who criticised friendly or otherwise鈥

I鈥檝e seen standard road going bikes ruined by spending far too much money on kit that either wouldn鈥檛 work or the owners just couldn鈥檛 set them up. Of course most couldn鈥檛 ride them anyway.
I may be wrong you might be able to set it up spot on. Just beware not all that tuning companies whether for power or handling or both give a Tom tit about what they鈥檙e selling you.
Wow! you obviously caught the "bug" in petrol head terms o_O That's a lot of dosh!

I appreciate your honesty and candidness! As you have experienced, this whole tuning thing can be like a disease :rolleyes:. If you pardon the pun, I'm in tune with you:giggle:

I'm from a sales and marketing background so I know how to tempt customers! They do say that the easiest person to sell to is a salesman :D

I have tried where I can to support my heart desires with some "science" and I hope this will translate into many smiles per miles!

I always appreciate your response to my threads!

Best wishes
Michael

Registered
Completely agree with not fitting an ARB and why. But if one is to be fitted I鈥檓 sure you鈥檒l agree it chould be done before setup.

To be honest apart from the 鈥淭rick鈥 factor I honestly believe fully adjustable suspension on a Road car is a waste of money鈥.
Like your cars we had 鈥 Base鈥 settings for the bikes for each individual track and in addition the weather. How on earth does a driver set up to cover the simply massive variations and conditions the road presents ?
I鈥檝e lost count of the amount of fellas who lined up to by trick bike suspension by Ohlins WP and the like for their road bikes and end up far worse off than on standard ( Still adjustable) suspension. Almost always because they not their mates had the tiniest clue how to set it up. And that鈥檚 before they even considered spring rates and basic geometry set up.
What is 鈥淔ast road 鈥 anyway ? The standard rear GTI suspension isn鈥檛 exactly poor. The rear struggles especially under weight transfer but we are being 鈥︹.Well a bit silly. For road use a nice KW setup might be nicer but unless your going nuts or stupidly fast all of the time it鈥檚 a posers luxury rather than essential.
Someone once said 鈥 If you can鈥檛 go quick with 150BHP you ain鈥檛 gonna do it with a 1000鈥︹ Suspension is a bit like that as far as road cars are concerned.

It is practically impossible to set up multi adjustable suspension for a road car鈥. It is absolutely impossible to set it over via that bloke on the interweb

Add to this what suits one driver setup wise may end up with another driver going through the hedge backwards.
I think we're on the same page here. I was aware that Mickeyboy had already committed to the fancy suspension set-up, and I am naturally sceptical, and was trying to rein him in from looking at any other people's suggestions before he spent any more cash, maybe unecessarily. It's obviously his call, and he can do what he wants, but was looking for advice, and at least, now he's committed to buying the set-up, he'll be able to play with it, and hopefully find settings that suit his driving style. That may or may not be much better than standard, or a cheaper solution, but he's going to learn whether it was money well spent , or not.

Reactions: Charliefarlie

Registered
sorry it麓s the front one H&R do

regards
S枚ren

Registered
I'll be adding this rear strut at some point. I won't be adding any front bracing as I've heard front bracing increases under steer (which is definitely not needed).

21 - 29 of 29 Posts