Up Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
at this point the best poweris only 74bhp does it really need sports suspension the only benefit i can see is the cosmetic drop in ride height which does look good
somewhere else someone said theUP shares its suspension with the new polo
soif its the ride height your afterthere will be better options on the market very soon

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have to say the sports suspension does aid handling with minimal effect on ride quality and also improves the visual look. I also think its a bargain considering it comes in a pack with great alloys and privacy glass.

·
Registered
59 Posts
did you justassociatepower withsuspension. think you have torememberthe original mini coopers. 54hp from a 997cc engine.there'smore skill involved in driving a car with little power fast than there is driving a car with lots of power. you just have to keep going, and its more fun.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What you say is very true and yip Ican remember the cooper very wellbutthey changed the brakes more than theydidthe susp. for the gain of 20bhpI think most of us will buy thesusp. kit for the visual look rather than the out and out road hugging gain
having said if I was to lose a bit more weight that would help the susp.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PS. how old are we talking about the original andbetter mini cooper

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now I bet that will shift would think it would be quicker off the mark than the gt(110 bhp turbo)they are bringing out (no turbo lag)
where have you got to do that and how do they know how much they can gain as its a brand new engine just out

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im talking about the very first cooper :) started out as a 848cc but a longer crank was fitted to increase the capacity, it had a shorter ratio gearbox than the standard mini. They fitted disk brakes on the front they were an improvement on the drums, but bytodaystandards there not the best :p. they never actually did anything to thesuspension. Just fitted wider wheels. 10x4.5" an upgrade from theoriginal10x3.5".

PS i have a mini, so i know allot about them :) brilliant little cars :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
original mini cooper must of been the biggest giant killer in the car racing world and even today I bet it could give some of the modern stuff a run for it's money ( mini with tweeks )
I loved my mini wish I still had it ( 1275 GT with 1380 engine )
but this little UP is myreplacment with more comfort :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
funkdubious just a thought they say theGT will have about 105bhp to110bhp and there putting putting the radiator from a polo gti in it,do the think you might need to do something to the cooling on yours if you get 95 bhp?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Am taking ownership today and will run it for a while to see if it needs it which to be fair I doubt it will. Wouldn't want to tweak things too much and endanger the warranty, as soon as I have any further news I will create a topic.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Why on earth are you buying a new 998cc UP!.If you want more power,buy a larger engine car!
The UP! is ok as it is!!!
Edited by: Grumps

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
up'sadaisy said:
at this point the best poweris only 74bhp does it really need sports suspension the only benefit i can see is the cosmetic drop in ride height which does look good
somewhere else someone said theUP shares its suspension with the new polo
soif its the ride height your afterthere will be better options on the market very soon
My view is that lowered suspension looks silly, and those thin tyres people put on cars are really really silly looking, and must worsen the ride. I get annoyed by cars that slow to a crawl at speed humps, when my TakeUp can slide over them at a modest pace. Why destroy the really nice city car characteristics to create a boy racer mobile?

funkdubious said:
Already investigating an engine re-map to 95ps!

That sounds interesting, but would fuel consumption be hit?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
MarkyMark said:
I have to say the sports suspension does aid handling with minimal effect on ride quality and also improves the visual look. I also think its a bargain considering it comes in a pack with great alloys and privacy glass.
I agree with you mark!
Bargain at the price!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts