Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dare I swap my winter tyres back to the summer ones ....weather defo warming up and keen to get the 16" wheels back on...what do you think...after all, it is Balmy Ayrshire!

ps if you were considering winter boots....just do it, they have been absolutely fan-f'in-tastic.......thick ice, snow, wet....nothing phased the up with them on.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Dare I swap my winter tyres back to the summer ones ....weather defo warming up and keen to get the 16" wheels back on...what do you think...after all, it is Balmy Ayrshire!

ps if you were considering winter boots....just do it, they have been absolutely fan-f'in-tastic.......thick ice, snow, wet....nothing phased the up with them on.
Agree winter tyres are great
here in italy you have to have either winter tyres or wheel chains in your car by law between the 15th of november to the 15th of april..

·
Registered
619 Posts
There's still the potential for low temperatures, particularly first thing in the morning, so it may be worth waiting a couple of weeks yet. Personally, I'm just going to wait until Easter before changing back to my alloys. I like the cushioned ride quality with the 14" wheels so I'm not in a hurry to change back.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The guy at the service I've asked the same question (a "service counselor") said the best time to swap tires is when winter/summer daylight saving time changes, meaning start of April.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well gritters are still going out some nights so dont want road salt all over my alloys, so for me an easy question. maybe another 4 weeks before i change on my car.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I was going to pop my classic alloys back on this weekend, but I'm going to wait a week after seeing the forecast.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes I changed mine on Monday and think might have done it to early as weather is ment to be getting worse again

·
Registered
98 Posts
On another forum, someone suggested that the time to change back was when you could do it comfortably outside with a bottle of beer in your hand.On that basis, my winter boots are still on ...
October to Easter ... so end of the month for me.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Think I'll go with Zigsters suggestion! now where was that beer!

·
Registered
98 Posts
And snow forecast here (Sussex) overnight ... glad I haven't change back to my "summer" wheels yet. :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes we was lulled into a false sense of security with good weather start of last week and wanted to get our new alloys on too

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad I held off....5" snow this morning and the up skipped through it as if it wasn't there.......

VREDESTEIN SNOWTRAC 3 .....bloody marvellous!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep - felt very smug in Sussex this morning as I took the kids to school. Much of the way had tracks through the snow but there was certainly some virgin snow in places.

Only problem was a newish Range Rover right up my tail for part of the way. That odd thinking some drivers have that four wheel drive also gives you miraculous powers of stopping and steering!

I saw the traction control come on a couple of times on the way back, but only when I tried to "provoke" it - e.g. I pulled up on a steepish up slope between the villages to offer a walker a lift and the wheels spun a very little before gripping as I moved away (with walker on board).

Nokian W+

Edited by: Zigster

·
Registered
619 Posts
Zigster said:
Only problem was a newish Range Rover right up my tail for part of the way. That odd thinking some drivers have that four wheel drive also gives you miraculous powers of stopping and steering!

Honest John says that a front wheel drive car, fitted with four winter tyres, beats a 4x4 fitted with summer tyres. There may be some truth to this since I saw a 4x4 sliding down the hill outside my house with a very worried looking driver at the helm.

My car was very 'sure footed' yesterday in the snow with its Snowtrac 3 tyres - recommended for next winter, if you don't already have them!

Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
235 Posts
There was an interesting article in Autocar magazine a couple of weeks ago comparing a two-wheel drive Skoda Yeti on winter tyres and a four-wheel drive version on normal tyres.

Apart from straight line traction, where the 4WD had an advantage, the 2WD was better in every other respect. Stopping from 30mph was the most remarkable - the 2WD stopping in a little over half the distance of the 4WD.

The conclusion was that unless traction was needed for climbing muddy hills, the front wheel drive on winter tyres was far more effective for the vast majority of motorists.

Unfortunately many 4WD drivers don't realise the limitation of their vehicles on winter roads - witness the series of 4WD vehicles that went steaming past on the A11 from Norwich on Saturday afternoon in heavy snow!

Talking of Norwich, this 350 mile round trip in one day highlighted the shear brilliance of the up! It's not perfect, but a small car that is quiet, comfortable, economical, fun and leaves you feeling so fresh is incredible. It's wasted as a city car! Add a turbo, and it'll be a real giant killer - roll-on the GT!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
on this winter boots topic... anyone suggest where to get 4 x steel wheels from? plus the tyres of course!Ive seen a set of 5J x 14s with continental winter boots for £400 ... so deal or no deal??? not sure of prices tbh and I reckon VW dealer would be on the high side!
Cheers in advance ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
dammit - the £400 quid set has ended (was ebay) so back to original question, where can I get the wheel rims and what winter boots do you guys recommend? (never bothered before)we get the Up! on monday so I reckon we be ok cos its nearly summer, but I deffo gonna treat Daisy to a set of winter boots !

1 - 20 of 35 Posts