Up Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Day 2 with my Baby 'Take up!' ...

Drove 135miles to mid Wales on motorway and B roads this morning. It rained heavy most of the journey but felt safe enough.

Tried to keep the car down to 60mph but it is so free running that when you take your eyes off the speedo she is up at 70+ and mixing it with the big boys ... Hit 75 mph at one stage pretty effortlessly at just around 3300 rpm !!

OK. The gearbox issues mentioned elsewhere. Someone was telling us all to engage 5th.. slow down to 50mph then floor it and accelerate to 70mph and the car complains. Well so it would. How about getting to 70mph and then engaging first gear ??? Believe me the little car would complain then too ;) I can think of several others... Try racing off in 4th from a standing start at RED traffic lights.

Basically this is a little car with a little engine and some clever injection controls and stuff to make it very efficient, perform great and return high mpg figures. One of the ways VW achieve high mpg figures is to make 5th gear a VERY HIGH ratio. [ Their Bluemotion Polo ranges were amongst the first to really incorporate this ].

At 50mph the rev counter shows just 2000 rpm !!!!... 60mph is 2500 rpm with 70+ being hit at 3000 rpm.

You therefore HAVE to try to understand just how to drive these cars, and I'm still learning. Flooring the accelerator at 50mph where its just 2000 rpm is not recommended I reckon. Diesels maybe as all their GRUNT is at the bottom.. but not a little petrol engine. I tried it [still running mine in so held back a little] and she hesitated but had a go at her best all the same. I then tried dropping to 4th and she accelerated nicely. I still have not quite worked out the power band characteristics of the engine yet... ie it will have a higher power curve output somewhere in its rev range, and I would guess its between 3000 rpm and 5000 rpm. So dropping a gear really helps here.

I stopped for a coffee and had to accelerate across the lanes back into moving traffic. You get through 1st/2nd/3rd/4th pretty fast and she is up to 50mph in a fairly brisk time.. Certainly quick enough to embarrass you in a 30/40mph area ;)

During hard 1st/2nd/3rd gear acceleration the engine really grunts, sounding like a 2cv or small diesel but as soon as you throttle back she resumes the whisper quiet purr. VW MUST, MUST, MUST have tested these Engine/Gearbox ratios and car made up weights extensively and I cannot really believe that the noises represent anything to worry about... and being a VW will get sorted under warranty IF there really are problems. It all feels pretty impressive through the seats of your pants anyway as the car makes off briskly enough with little drama.

The car rear door gets pretty mucky quickly on a wet road, while the rest of the car remains fairly presentable.

Standard speakers do an adequate job on country lanes but lack bass and presence on dual carriageways/motorways. I'll need to fit more speakers I reckon.

Steering is VERY light. a little TOO light I reckon feeling a littletwitchyon the motorway as you do not have to move the steering wheel much at all for the car to respond. In town and country lanes it is just right and very precise.

The suspension is very impressive. I hit a few potholes on high speed corners and uneven road surfaces but the car did not blink at all. She soaked up the impacts like a far larger car and refused to veer or get distracted from the direction I was pointing her in.

The dash has a nice touch. It displays the gear you are in... 12345 . A handy reminder as I found myself cruising in 4th sometimes after negotiating roundabouts. At anything above 30mph she is happy to stay in 5th.. as long as you do not accelerate hard as already mentioned. It is quite a challenge to get here to bumble along at 30mph as you have to have the lightest of touches on the accelerator pedal to keep her there.

All in all she is a fabulous little car that FEELS like a far larger model and can mix it with the big boys on motorways.. once you get her upto speed.

Some of the welsh lanes are quite steep and single track. This means you cannot build up, and hold high speeds down them in any car as you need to be ready to brake hard. Going up steep hills I had to drop down several gears and take most in 2nd or even 1 in 1st. The little engine just does not have enough power for challenging hillclimbs without a good run at them. The compromise is that for the lack of GRUNT you get fabulous mpg and cruising figures.

My 'Takeup!' has delightful manual windows. The wind ratios are so low that the handles turn freely with the slightest force and the windows glide up/down easily too.

Sooooooooo... It is great fun, wonderful in towns and country lanes and able to not embarrass itself out on dual carriageways and motorways.

All in all the 'Take up!' is a fabulous little car that makes you smile whenever you get in and turn the key !!

Dave

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great review Dave
Your description of the necessity to push down through the gears to get the necessary oomph is exactly what I'd expect from a 60ps 3 cylinder motor. I'm surprised that others have any issues with adopting this driving style.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Thanks for this Dave, good to see a nice balanced critique. And to my mind its part of the fun in having something with a smaller engine, understanding how to make the most of it and get the best result. I think this is just as satisfying as driving something double the price and power.

·
Registered
144 Posts
nice review u explained the motorway issue pretty well which i was most concerned abt cuz u cant test drive em on da motorway lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
lilsumo said:
nice review u explained the motorway issue pretty well which i was most concerned abt cuz u cant test drive em on da motorway lol
Have I stumbled onto some gangsta rap website?

·
294 Posts
Stainless said:

OK. The gearbox issues mentioned elsewhere. Someone was telling us all to engage 5th.. slow down to 50mph then floor it and accelerate to 70mph and the car complains. Well so it would. How about getting to 70mph and then engaging first gear ??? Believe me the little car would complain then too ;) I can think of several others... Try racing off in 4th from a standing start at RED traffic lights.

Basically this is a little car with a little engine and some clever injection controls and stuff to make it very efficient, perform great and return high mpg figures. One of the ways VW achieve high mpg figures is to make 5th gear a VERY HIGH ratio. [ Their Bluemotion Polo ranges were amongst the first to really incorporate this ].

At 50mph the rev counter shows just 2000 rpm !!!!... 60mph is 2500 rpm with 70+ being hit at 3000 rpm.

You therefore HAVE to try to understand just how to drive these cars

Great review and very good point. When switching cars it always takes me a little while to really understand the gearing and engine to know what I can and can't do with it. Like you say, dropping to 50 in 5th then accelerating up is probably not how the engine or gearbox was designed to work.

It's good to know that what is billed as a 'city car' can perform well in the country back roads and motorway just as well as stop start traffic.

What was comfort like in the seats after driving a long distance?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Comfort was good. The seats are fairly firm and supportive. I felt good getting out and walking at the other end without aches or pains.

Then 1/2 hour later getting back in and driving my final 10 miles.

As its all new, each time you get in and start the engine its a brand new adventure :)

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
brilliant review, just what we all like to read!

lucky to say it sounds like the up! likes to drive like my old girl current polo, she likes to be revved lots to be able to accelerate without a struggle and prefers to be in the smaller gears, in 30mph zones in never in 5th, only change to 5th in a 40!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day 3 - Another 140 miles return home

Drove back from Wales and the car is beginning to loosen up nicely. She now wants to comfortably cruise above 70 mph on the motorway and even went over 80 mph at one point. 83-ish mph is reached at just 3500 rpm and the car feels very comfortable at that speed, she will even accelerate comfortably above that and I reckon would sit at 90 mph happily too.

Everyone does 75 - 80 mph on motorways and its great that she cruises around there quite nicely. It means that you are just one of the others and that you are not treated as somedawdling mobile chicane, plus lorries do not hug your butt !!!!

Generalconsensusis to keep revs below 3500 for the first few hundred miles but as you hit 80+ at this in 5th you really do not need to over rev the up!. In lower gears it is obviously easy to rev above 3500 rpm when accelerating away and up through the gears.. however I tried to keep my revs below 3500 rpm and still pulled away at junctions fairly briskly, and certainly in tune with other drivers and conditions. Joining the motorway at motorway speeds from the services seems pretty effortless for the car with just me in there, and I really expect that it will also achieve this 2/3/4 up too.

Noticed a little up arrow on the dash, next to the 1/2/3/4/5 numeric that indicates which gear you are in. When you accelerate in a lower gear the arrow lights up to tell you to change gear up to the next one. This can help you get used to the way it expects to be driven and indicates the best gear to change upto to achieve decent mpg. Did not expect this to be on the base 'Takeup!' and goes to show that the electronics and sensors are all there even if you do not take the Navigon M&M option. Now all I need to discover is whether the doors and inside rear of the car are pre wired to take the extra speakers too !!! It really does NOT make sense for them to have wiring looms that are different for cars that do not add on the speaker sound pack. If the wires are there, as I reckon will prove to be the case, then I can add in some speakers and voila !! Upgrade the sound system myself ;) -- Will test and inform the group in a week or so.

Must clean her up tomorrow. It's been a wet and mucky few days while I've now passed the 350 miles mark ;)

Dave

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Stainless,

Thanks for the great reviews....

I would be really interested in hearing about the wiring for the speakers

Let us know what you find

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dave thank you very much for a very interesting history of your first experiences driving your New Up! I willhave an Up High white, it'son order so I'm very very interested in every you are saying ...So if you have anything more to say about your New Up! please don't hesitate to write it up so we can all share your knowledge andsense the pleasure of your ownership of your great little UP !

Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks Dave for a really good review :) nice to hear it's good at 60/70 on motorway.Glad I did order the sound pack, but being a woman who likes her music may have to take it up a step with subs etc but shall wait and see. Keep her clean and mean

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've dived in and taken the rear inside of the car apart today !!!! I do not suffer from self doubts regarding cars..

A friend imports trade car parts and imports these speakers for the upgrade trade. I managed to get 2off heavy duty 6" combined units at cost price plus a pint :)

Removed the rear seats.. removed the rear passenger side panels and fixed speaker adaptor rings and speakers to the speaker mount positions in the up! panels. They fit perfectly !!

The speakers are heavy 6" Bass units that also have mid range and tweeter speakers also mounted. The sound tests are great so far on the units.

Will route the wiring tomorrow, put my baby back together and probably have them connected sometime next week.

Should improve the sound greatly :) I've got the pin outs for the RCD 215 radio/cd connector in the car so should be pretty easy to achieve.

Will post the test results, car dismantling and reassembly photos once I've got them all working :)

Best wishes

Dave

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not found any so far :( -- When I get the radio out of the dash I'll know which wires should go to the rear 6" combi speakers and note their colour codes down. Thinking now that I'll have to route my own wires. Fairly easy I hope as the radio connector has them at its exit and I have the pinouts for the connectors.

It's not for the faint hearted. Just getting the rear plastic side panels off tests your nerves.. you need to remove the rear seats - the back rest part before getting them off. Only takes a minute once you've worked out the trick ;)

I'd recommend people order the sound pack, but if they have not and really want to upgrade I'll post the procedures in a week or so that I've learned. It is possible as a DIY fit as long as you are pretty handy... and confident that you can pull it off.

Of course.. like other things in life, the first time you do it takes ages.. the 2nd is 1/2 the time .. the next and others are like shelling peas :) -- Trouble is we'll only do it once !!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
good to know for those who havent got the sound pack, the option is there for them to add their own, and thanks for putting up the instructions once you get it down to a tee!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the great review. Interesting to hear your thoughts on the wiring. I've ordered a Move Up and was trying to prevent myself spending too much so I didn't order the Maps and More or the Sound pack. I now wish I had ordered the sound pack and though I still don't want the m&m I can't see why they wouldn't wire the cars ready to take it. I hope you're right!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm looking to do some similar speaker upgrades etc, can you confirm that although there's no wires to the rear of the car is there some wires coming out of the stereo din plug to tap onto, rather than having to add pins into the existing plug. Hope that makes sense :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts