Up Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how the locking system works on the take up?

I have a take up and I took it back to the dealership as I thought the locking system was broken. I was told by the garage that the Take Up! does not have key central locking for all three doors. The key only locks/unlocks the drivers door and the boot. However, there is no key hole on the outside of the passenger side door so the only way to lock and unlock the passenger door is by using the door handle on the inside.

I have read on another forum that the key should unlock/lock all three doors. I am so shocked that in 2012 I am expected to lock my car on the inside via the door handle and I just wanted to check that what the dealership are telling me is correct?!

Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I was told that the passenger door would be unlocked by the drivers side key, but I looked at a take up on Monday and it was not the case. Like you, I had to lean over and pull the handle.
Not good, especially as the boot is electric.
I think the passenger door should at least have a key hole.Edited by: Rednaxela

·
Registered
553 Posts
You mean there is NO key hole in the passenger door even on the basic model with NO remote key!!!

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
really? thats mental, there should at least be a key hole to be able to unlock/lock from the outside!

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's mad how much did they save doing that, one door lock or one solenoid to open one more door,bonkers

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had that on an old Fiat I had, it's for security so the passenger door isn't left open....apparently

·
Registered
41 Posts
Might be worth checking if there is a cap over the key barrel on the passenger side?!
I know a lot of the time VW stick a little cap over the barrel. So that it's hidden away and looks nice and neat, then if in an emergency if the barrel is needed the cap can be taken off to reveal a barrel.
This might not be the case if VW have tried to cut corners and cheap out. But it's worth checking all the same, as it'll give you some peace of mind :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've just found this out too! Passenger door does not lock, ive been happily driving round and locking the drivers door thinking the car was ALL locked, had sat nav in glove box
think i could have been told by VWyou have to manually lock passengers from inside! I was surprised thought it was bust too!

·
Registered
677 Posts
I had a **** of a time not so long ago, my partner was buying furniture out of my shop (I was working and was helping him to the car) and he has the standard key on our High Up! this was the first time he used his key. Put the key into the drivers door to unlock all the doors, nope! just the drivers door. Not even the boot unlocked. I tried myself loads of different methods but nope, the key just unlocked the drivers door. So I had to run back into work, grab my keys (remote key) and unlock the whole car, just so he could get into the boot!!

Was SUCH a pain in the @rse!

THEN was funny, a couple days ago he tried again ..... this time the boot opened!! It was almost like the car has a mind of its own and decides when it wants to open all the doors or not!!

SOOOOOOO happy we're getting a second remote key from VW!! HUUUUGE inconvenience

·
Registered
304 Posts
Euro pinching in the extreme, shame the bean counters won on this one. A real functionality flaw... Now did I look that door, before I plopped the plipper?

·
Registered
128 Posts
We had a Seat Ibiza which is as you know based on the Polo and that had one remote key and one standard.If you used the remote it opened the doors and boot no problem but if you used the standard key you had to use it in the drivers side and twist the key twice to make it open all the doors. If you just did one twist then it just opened the drivers door.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of the Take up today, and was wondering if any of you guys here could help me on exactly how you do lock thepassengerdoor, have been tearing my hair out for the past hour!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
sgj said:
Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of the Take up today, and was wondering if any of you guys here could help me on exactly how you do lock the passenger door, have been tearing my hair out for the past hour!

Cheers!
You have to push the internal handle inwards to lock the door.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sgj said:
Hi guys,

Just taken delivery of the Take up today, and was wondering if any of you guys here could help me on exactly how you do lock thepassengerdoor, have been tearing my hair out for the past hour!

Cheers!
You have to lock it from the inside. You can open the passenger door, push the inside lock in, then close the door, and it is locked. Or you can get inside, when the passenger door is closed, and push the lock in. As said earlier, it is mental. No outside lock, they saved a tiny amount of money.

I actually like the rear door lock. It is convenient to have it unlock along with the driver's door.

But I don't want to be negative, I hope you like the car. Have you discovered the gear indicator? And of course the rev meter. How do you find it to drive?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a Take UP and like the lack of features (I must be odd). It has more than my early cars, but I agree about the passengers door. I would be happy with another lock. having said that, it is a safer, especially for people getting in the car in the dark. With central locking, once you open the car, anybody can get in with you- not nice on a dark street, so every cloud has a silver lining. I once stopped at traffic lights in one of my cars and a young lady opened the passenger door and got in. I don't know who was more surprised her, or me. A friend of hers was due to pick her up in the same model car and colour! Wouldn't have happened in my take Up- perhaps central locking is a better -lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is one reason why we went for the comfort pack with the central locking

·
Registered
3 Posts
I like
How all these people are complaining surely you knew that when buying the vehicle in the first place. I don't see a big issue you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I have move Up 2012 3dr with central locking, but without remote key. To open the boot and passenger's door I have to unlock driver's door, turn on the ignition and then press unlock button on drivers doors. Is this normal behaviour?
When I lock driver's door, all doors are and boot are locked. When I then immediately unlock the driver's door, everything is unlocked. After some minutes, I again have to turn on the ignition.
Thanks for advice

1 - 19 of 19 Posts