Up Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered our Take up in white 12-5-12 and read that the 2013 model which ours probably will be now as we have heard our build week is either 27 or 28 that the rev counter is deleted, has any one heard different?

Take up white with comfort pack, luxury mats, rubber boot mat and full size spare wheel.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The take up that I test drove didn't have a rev counter. Just one large display instead of three.

·
Registered
619 Posts
In the next version of the Up, my wish list would include the replacement of the rev counter with a temperature gauge. I'm not sure why VW thought a tiny rev counter was a good idea - I've got to wear my Mr Magoo specs to see it.

·
Super Moderator
3,147 Posts
And I want a small speedo and big rev counter in the up GT :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Privatedoc said:
Hi
Maps and more has a rev counter and temperature gauge on one of its display screens!
I use it quite often....temperature gauge is essential......

·
Registered
421 Posts
luckyjimmy said:
In the next version of the Up, my wish list would include the replacement of the rev counter with a temperature gauge. I'm not sure why VW thought a tiny rev counter was a good idea - I've got to wear my Mr Magoo specs to see it.
On the next I'd like to see a proper clock and not just an option on one of the screens

·
Registered
73 Posts
Grumps said:
Privatedoc said:
Hi
Maps and more has a rev counter and temperature gauge on one of its display screens!
I use it quite often....temperature gauge is essential......

I found this too, thought it was quite cool

However, it only shows the water temperature (which is fine) but no oil temperature
Maybe the Up! GT will have that...!

·
Registered
619 Posts
To me the inclusion of a tiny rev counter was a bit odd to say the least. A physical temperature gauge is more important in that it can give the driver an early warning of an engine problem. On a performance car, or a car used for towing, an oil pressure/temperature gauge is important. Similarly, on a performance car (Up GT) a rev counter is essential.

The standard 60 or 70bhp is designed to chug along in city traffic at low speeds. It is perhaps more likely to overheat than self destruct due to being over revved. Oops, didn't mean to be pedantic...
Edited by: luckyjimmy

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like to have both a rev counter and a temperature gauge. Many of my recent cars have had no temperature guage, only a warning light (negative confirmation that all is not well). But how does one know if the LED/bulb in the warning light is still working? Like others have said above, a temperature gauge is positive confirmation that all is well.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I agree re the temp guage... It is a notable omission. Although, with modern cars, it does seem less necessary.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts